Affichage de 1869 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Wiggins Male Orphan Institution

  • Collectivité
  • 1867-1982

The Wiggins Male Orphan Institution was founded and endowed by Stephen Wiggins, a prominent Saint John merchant. Incorporated in 1867, the Home, located on St. James Street, opened in 1876. Although severely damaged in the fire of 1877, it was rebuilt on the same site. In 1922, the Wiggins Institution moved to a house on Mount Pleasant Avenue where it remained until a new Home was constructed, in 1965, on Hawthorne Avenue.

II. The Wiggins Male Orphan Institution, later known as the Stephen Wiggins Home for Boys, was established to care for male orphan and destitute male fatherless children born in Saint John County. In 1895 the Home's sphere of responsibility was extended to the entire province. The Stephen Wiggins Home for Boys was closed in 1982.

McKenna, James Daly

  • Personne
  • 1874-1949

James Daly McKenna (1874-1949) was born in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and educated in Dartmouth and Halifax public schools. He became a newspaperman and one of the founders of the "Atlantic Weekly", which began circulation 1 April 1893. He joined the staff of the "Halifax Acadian Recorder" and became news editor of the "Halifax Evening Mail". He was also a parliamentary correspondent in Ottawa for the Halifax newspapers.

In 1903 he purchased the "Kings County Record" in Sussex, New Brunswick, and in 1913 acquired the controlling interest in the "Maritime Farmer". From 1923-1943 he was associated with the owners of the Saint John "Telegraph Journal" and the "Evening Times" and became president of the New Brunswick Publishing Company. In 1930, J.D. McKenna attended the fourth Imperial Press Conference in London, England as a delegate and a conference of the Federated Chambers of Commerce of the British Empire also held in London in 1930 at Guildhall.

He was active on the boards of many Atlantic businesses and on Boards of Trade and Chambers of Commerce at several levels. He was a Liberal, elected Member of the Legislature for Kings County from 1922-1925. He was mayor of Saint John from 1944 to 1948 and also mayor of Sussex for 3 years.

McKenna was married twice, first in 1902 to Nellie McGivern who died in 1917, leaving 1 son and 3 daughters. In 1919 he married Margaret Archibald, daughter of Luther Archibald of Hopewell Hill, with whom he had 3 sons.

Jarvis (family)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins 1742

Merchant and politician Munson Jarvis, the son of Martha Seymour and Samuel Jarvis, was born 11 October 1742 in Norwalk, Connecticut. In 1770 he married Mary Arnold (1752-1831), and they had no fewer than four children: Mary, Ralph, William, and Edward James.

In 1783, at the end of the American Revolutionary War, the family moved to what is now New Brunswick, settling in Parrtown (Saint John). Jarvis opened a hardware establishment which proved lucrative, and he also became involved in the West Indies trade, having purchased the brig "Lively". Slaves were included among his trade goods. Jarvis' son Ralph Munson joined him in the firm of Munson Jarvis and Son, which dissolved in 1810. Later both Ralph and William worked with him in Munson Jarvis and Company. William was still working with him at the time of his father's death.

Munson Jarvis was active in local politics, winning a seat as an alderman on the first Common Council (1785-1790). He was instrumental in the founding of Trinity Anglican Church, where he sat as a vestryman and a warden. Jarvis was also involved in provincial politics, winning a seat in Saint John County and City in the by-election of 1804. He died at Saint John on 7 October 1825.

Munson and Mary's son William Jarvis (1787-1856) was born in New Brunswick. He married Mary Caroline Boyd (1798-1867), and his brother Edward James (1788-1852) married her sister Anna Maria (1787-1841).

William and Mary Jarvis' son William Munson (1838-1921) was a barrister and the general agent for the Maritime provinces for the London, Liverpool and Globe Insurance Company. He also held several other prominent positions, including lieutenant-colonel in the New Brunswick militia (1866), member of the town council of Portland (1871), vice-president of the Diocesan Church Society of New Brunswick, president of St. George's Society, president of the Board of Trade of the Maritime provinces (1898), and vice-president of the New Brunswick Historical Society.

Source:
"Munson Jarvis," "Dictionary of Canadian Biography," Vol. VI

Merritt (family)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins 1729

*First Generation
Thomas Merritt (1729-1821) of Rye, New York. In 1775, signed a protest against the American rebellion and was consequently forced to leave his home. He and his wife Amy, daughter of Capt. John Purdy settled in Saint John, New Brunswick. Their children included Thomas (1759-1842), David Daniel (1764-1828), and Nehemiah (1770-1842).

*Second Generation
Thomas Merritt Jr. (1759-1842) served as a cornet in the Queens Rangers during the American Revolution. He arrived in N.B. in 1783, and received a townlot at Parrtown. He later settled in Upper Canada, where, in 1796, he built and operated a mill on Twelve Mile Creek on the Niagara Peninsula. From 1803-1820, he was the Sheriff of Lincoln County. During the War of 1812, he served as a cavalry officer. He died in St. Catherines in 1842. His wife was Mary Hamilton. Their son was William Hamilton (1793-1862).

Captain Nehemiah Merritt (1770-1842) married Isabella Milby of Shelburne in 1802. His eldest son, William, died in Byrain, Connecticut. in 1832, age 27. His eldest daughter, Eliza married in 1833 to William Wright, a barrister at law.

David Daniel (1764-1828) was a merchant and built a large home on Union St. in Saint John, New Brunswick. He married Mary (d. 1842), daughter of Dr. John Wheeler of Elizabethtown, N.J. Their children were Thomas (1792-1869), Ann, David Jabez (1803-1884), Eliza (married Miles), Mary (b. 1801) wife of John L. Roberts, Julia married Rev. W. Harrison, Catherine (Caroline?) Matilda married Rev. Enoch Wood.

*Third Generation
Thomas (1792-1869) married Catherine, daughter of Rev. Robert Norris in 1825;

David Jabez (1803-1884) continued with his father's business and owned farms at Gondola Point and Hampton. He married Fannie C. Smith (d. 1838), daughter of William Howe Smith in 1828 and had three children. He remarried in 1841 to Anna Magee, daughter of James Magee;

Eliza Merritt (1798-1827) married James Burns, an early Saint John jeweller, in 1823. They had a daughter Eliza Merritt Burns that died in 1830, age 3;

Source:
Vital Statistics of New Brunswick;
New Brunswick Loyalists, 1983

James Quinton (family)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins 1821

James Quinton (1821-1874) was a descendant of Hugh Quinton who settled at the mouth of Saint John river in 1762. He became a farmer and building contractor in Saint John. He served two terms in the New Brunswick Legislature, and was one of the first Confederation members. He married Elizabeth Tilley, daughter of William Tilley, of Gagetown, and first cousin of Sir Leonard Tilley.

His son William A. Quinton (1847-1927) acquired his education in Saint John. At 20 he enlisted in the militia, and attained the rank of Major. For six years he was a member of City Council and for five years the Municipal Council. In 1882 he returned as a member of the Provincial Legislature for St. John County (Liberal) , and served seven years. In 1877, he married Kate Allen, daughter of R.R. Allen, of Carleton, Saint John. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Order of Orangemen. In 1891, he was appointed manager and steward of Provincial Insane Asylum.

Source:
Biographical Review, Province of New Brunswick, 1900

United Women's Missionary Societies

  • Collectivité
  • Began ca. 1897

The United Women's Missionary Societies of Saint John, New Brunswick was composed of representatives from Protestant churches in the city. It is not known exactly when the body was founded. Meetings, held at churches throughout Saint John, included prayers led by members, hymn singing, and a business meeting. Discussion centered around missionary work. A collection was made and the proceeds sent to missions for their work. In 1897 funds collected in this way were sent to Miss A.M. Barker in Constantinople (Istanbul) for relief to widows and children of the recent massacres.

In 1897, a standing committee was formed to provide efficient arrangements for annual prayer services in the city. The members included: Mrs. Allwood, Baptist Church; Mrs. Crookshank, Church of England; Miss Upton, Presbyterian Church; Miss Palmer, Methodist Church; and there was a representative from the Congregational Church as well.

The United Women's Missionary Societies changed its name to the Protestant Christian Women's Fellowship in 1953 then changed it once again in 1955 to the Women's inter-Church Council of Saint John.

Nase (family)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins 1752

Henry Nase (1752-1836) was born in Dover, Dutchess County, New York. He enlisted in the British army in 1776, and served with the King's American Regiment during the Revolutionary War. He received a town lot at Carleton, New Brunswick, in 1785, and a further grant on the Nerepis River, Kings Co. He was a lieutenant-colonel of the militia in New Brunswick and filled several civil offices. Henry Nase engaged in agricultural pursuits, and for some time was judge of probate for Kings County. His wife was Jane Quinton (1767-1852). Their descendants include Henry Jr.; Philip (b. 1790), who married Margaret Parks; Mary, who married Silvanus Haviland in 1813; Elizabeth, who married Isaac Haviland in 1816; William Henry, who married Charlotte Harding in 1817; Anna, who married Abel Harding in 1819; and John Quinton, who married Rowena Haviland in 1822.

William Henry Nase (1793-1880) was born in Nerepis and engaged in general farming. He died in 1880. He had three sons and seven daughters. One son, Philip Nase (1821-1885), was the founder of P. Nase & Son, merchants in Saint John. He married first in 1847, Elizabeth Mary Hamm (d. 1872), daughter of David Hamm and second, in 1878, Lydia Ann Van Wart.

Source:
New Brunswick Loyalists, 1983;
Biographical Review, Province of New Brunswick, 1900

Wood, Miriam Dorothea Merwyn (née Hatheway)

  • Personne
  • 1884-[197-?]

Miriam Dorothea Merwyn Hatheway Wood was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1884. She was the daughter of Warren Frank Hatheway (1850-1923) and Ella B. Marven (d. 1931). W. F. Hatheway wed Ella Marven in 1883 in Saint John. They also had another daughter, Grace Hamilton Hatheway, who was born in 1885.

Miriam's father was a business man and Liberal Member of the Legislative Assembly for Saint John from 1908 to 1912. W.F. Hatheway was largely instrumental in passing the Workmen’s Compensation Act, known as the Hatheway Act, in 1908. He retired from active politics in 1912. Frank Hatheway was also keenly interested in economic and social problems and contributed essays in the magazines of the day.

Ella B. Marven Hatheway was also active in social issues particularly woman's suffrage. She was one of the founding members of the Saint John Women's Enfranchisement Association in the 1890s. Mrs. Hatheway was the secretary-treasurer for many years and later became corresponding secretary. She served on many committees and made public speeches on suffrage. Grace was also a member of this organization.

Miriam Hatheway married Milner Wood. She was active in her community, no doubt influenced by her parents. From the late 1930s to the mid 1950s, she took on the cause of developing a historic Fort La Tour, the French fort built in Saint John harbour in 1630 and destroyed in 1701. She was also interested in improvements to the Strait Shore Road and lobbied for that as well. Both Miriam and her husband died sometime after 1970.

Sources: Saint John City Directory, 1967-72

Hatch, Harris

  • Personne
  • 1780-1856

Harris Hatch was born in 1780, a son of Christopher Hatch of Boston, a Loyalist who settled at St. Andrews, New Brunswick. Harris Hatch married Ann Whitlock in 1808. He was a lawyer who trained as a student in the law office of Ward Chipman; Registrar of Deeds and Probates for Charlotte County; member of the Legislative Council, Commissioner of Bankruptcies, Surrogate, member of the Board of Education, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas; a member of the Legislative Council and a colonel in the militia. He built the house which is now the Ross Memorial Museum in St. Andrews. Harris Hatch died in 1856.

Harris H. Hatch, a son of Harris and Ann Hatch, was born in 1811 and died in 1894. He succeeded his father as Registrar of Deeds and Probates in Charlotte County.

Sources:
Loyalists to Canada, 1992;
New Brunswick Loyalists, 1983;
Some Loyalists and Others, 1976

Burrell, Sarah Jane (Morris)

  • Personne
  • [1835 or 1836]-1919

Sarah Jane Morris Burrel or Burrell was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1835 or 1836 and died in November 1919 at the age of 83. She married Andrew Burrel or Burrell in 1852 in Saint John. He emigrated from England around 1850 at the age of 27. He was a merchant tailor by trade. They had at least one daughter, Jennie (also called Fannie), who died 26 August 1892. Andrew had predeceased his daughter. He died in 1886 of heart disease.

Résultats 511 à 520 sur 1869