Affichage de 1564 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Alward, David

  • Personne
  • 1946 - 1965

Photographs were from David Alward father Ford's training with the 8th Canadian Hussars from 1950-1951. He joined the Hussars in October 1946 with others from Havelock, New Brunswick and was a private with "A" troop. Each summer David's father went to Camp Petawawa to train on actual tanks. In the late 1940s he was promoted to Lance Corporal and then Corporal. From 1948-1949 he went to Business College. During this time David's father was asked to take over the Havelock troop thus becoming a 2nd Lieutenant. From November 1950 to May 1951 he was in Camp Borden to train to become a Troop Commander. While at Camp Border he traveled to Camp Meaford to train with live ammunition. When David's father completed the course he was promoted to First Lieutenant. In 1952 he attended Gordon College and in 1956-1957 he attended the Ontario Agricultural College

Amherst: Trinity-St. Stephen’s Pastoral Charge

  • Collectivité
  • 1847 -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Methodists had been active in the Amherst-Point de Bute-Sackville area since the 1780s. After a building built for Baptists was opened in 1819, the Methodist congregation worshiped here but then moved to the Court House in 1824. In these early years Amherst was part of the vast Parrsboro Maccan Circuit. It was not until 1841 when the first Methodist church was erected in Amherst. Amherst became the head of a Methodist circuit in 1847.

In 1874, the present site for a new Methodist church was purchased from C.E. Ratchford, and in 1876, a building with a seating capacity of 350 was dedicated. This proved too small for the growing congregation and on 22 August 1906 the cornerstone was laid for a 1200 person capacity church. The builder was Charles Reid and the architect was C.B. Chappell. The new building was opened on 22 September 1907 and became Trinity Methodist Church.

A Methodist church was also established at Fort Lawrence, located on the Isthmus of Chignecto, north-west of Amherst. A Methodist chapel was built in 1807. This chapel was used until 1845 when a new church was built. Then in 1893, the cornerstone was laid for a third building which was opened for worship in 1894. A Methodist mission was begun in the “Highlands” of Amherst in 1905. This church separated from Trinity Methodist into a separate circuit including Fort Lawrence and Brookdale.

In 1827, Reformed Presbyterian (Scottish Covenanter) minister Rev. Alexander Clark arrived in Amherst and established a church. A building was erected at the corner of Albion and Church Streets. Clark continued as minister of this congregation until his death in 1874.

St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church of The Presbyterian Church in Canada was established on 30 August 1875. Services were held in the Masonic hall, then located on the corner of Victoria Street and Maple Avenue. The Sunday School was organized in 1876. When the Masonic hall burned in 1877, the congregation moved to White’s Hall, the site of the present Baptist Church.

In 1878, construction began on St. Stephen’s on the corner of Lawrence and Victoria Street, and it was officially opened in that year. In 1880, there was a suggestion of a union between the Presbyterian Church and the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Amherst. This suggestion was rejected by the Reformed Presbyterians. After their last minister, Rev. S.D. Yates, left in 1887, most of the Reformed Presbyterians joined St. Stephen's. The St. Stephen's congregation outgrew their former building and a new church was opened in 1900.

In 1903, the congregation divided and Knox Church was organized. In 1911, however, the two churches reunited and Knox Church on Robie Street was sold. In 1925 St. Stephen’s Presbyterian voted to join the union which the created The United Church of Canada and it became St. Stephen’s United Church.

In 1925, St. Stephen’s Presbyterian voted to join the union which the created The United Church of Canada and it became St. Stephen’s United Church. Trinity Methodist Church became Trinity United Church. St. Stephen’s United Church and Trinity United Church were united to form Trinity-St. Stephen’s United Church in 1936.

In 1925, Fort Lawrence United Church amalgamated with Trinity-St. Stephen’s, and in 1968 the church at Hastings joined with them. In 1959, the Fort Lawrence church building was sold to the Reformed Baptist church in Amherst. It was taken down and moved to Spring Street.

Amnesty International

  • Collectivité
  • Began activities in 1969

The first meeting of Amnesty International in Sackville, New Brunswick, was took place on 8 December 1969, at the instigation of Elizabeth Boyle, who with her husband, John, had been members in their native Ireland. The executive elected at a second meeting on 6 April 1970 included Boyle as secretary, Lesley Read as treasurer and a vacant chair. The International Secretariat titled them "Canada Group 4" and immediately assigned them two prisoners of conscience. The several Amnesty International Groups of Canada were each administratively separate and received direction from the International Secretariat in London, England.

Laing Ferguson of the Geology Department of Mount Allison University served as chair of the group for 5 years. A Christmas greeting card campaign begun in 1972 continued for 13 years becoming a major national fundraiser effort involving virtually all of the 50 or 60 groups across Canada. Artist David Silveberg of the Fine Arts Department of Mount Allison University donated the use of one or two of his engravings each year with profits forwarded to the National Section.

Three members of Group 4, Laing Ferguson, Ken Adams and Janet Adams, traveled to Longueuil, Quebec to participate in the founding meeting of the independent Amnesty International groups on 12-13 May 1973 where a constitution and by-laws were formulated and Amnesty International Canada was established.

Shortly after this meeting, Robert Boyer Inch of Brandon University, Manitoba (a former Director of Alumni and Public Relations at Mount Allison University) was became national director. John Humphrey, Professor of Law at McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, was the first president. Laing Ferguson became anglophone Vice-President in 1973/74 and president in 1976/77. In 1976, Montreal Group 7 proposed that Amnesty International - Amnestie Internationale, Canada Section Canadienne be split into two. A compromise was reached by 1978 in which the Canadian Section has two branches, Amnesty International Canadian Section (English Speaking) and Section canadienne francophone.

Locally, Group 4 in 1980 hosted the national annual general meeting. During the following year and a half the group was virtually dormant, but in March 1983 a membership drive focused on Mount Allison students brought in enough new members to resume regular meetings and to apply for prisoner dossiers. Group 4 remains active to date.

Anderson family (Sackville, N.B.)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins before the 1770s

Albert Anderson is a descendant of Thomas Anderson, Sr., who emigrated to the Sackville, New Brunswick, area from Yorkshire, England, in the 1770s.

Anderson family (descandants of Thomas Sr.)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins in 1745

The Anderson family were descendants of Thomas Sr. (1745-1841) and Mary Anderson, who emigrated to Sackville, New Brunswick, from Yorkshire, England, in the early 1770s. Settling at Cole’s Island, situated on the Tantramar Marsh near Sackville, the first two generations engaged in farming. Titus Anderson, grandson of Thomas Sr., became a master mariner, the first of many seafaring men in the Anderson family of Sackville.

Anderson family Genealogy (Sackville)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins in ca. 1745

Collection contains material concerning the Anderson family, founding pioneers of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, including genealogical information for the Anderson’s of Sackville, New Brunswick, identifying the branch that migrated west before the mid 1870s. This consist of: "The Hardscrabble Andersons", by Mary Augusta, n.d. (after 1986); "Two White Oxen, a perspective of early Saskatoon, 1874-1905", from the memoirs of Barbara (Hunter) Anderson, compiled and edited by George W. Anderson and Robert N. Anderson, revised edition 1993; genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas Anderson (1745-1841); genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas R. Anderson (1745-1841), with family connections with Seaman, Crabtree, Pidge, and Tingley; and genealogical chart of the descendants of William George Anderson of Saskatoon, b. 1898.

Anderson, Charles Warren

  • Personne
  • 1896

Major Charles Warren Anderson was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1896, the son of James A. and Eliza (Warren) Anderson. He was educated in the public schools of Saint John.
Anderson enlisted in 1918 and served in the 1st Siege Battery in France and Belgium during the First World War and was demobilized in 1919. He then worked for the Dominion Rubber Co. in Saint John; in 1924 he became associated with the Victory Garage & Supply Co. of Saint John. In 1930, he joined J. Clark & Son, Saint John and later Regal Motors, which was under the management of George Gallagher. Later he accepted a position with R.S. Miller, Saint John Dodge agents.

Anderson enlisted in the militia as a private soldier in 1921; he was commissioned as a lieutenant 1925 and rose to command A Company, 7th Machine Gun Battalion and later B Company of the 1st Battalion Saint John Fusiliers. He was a member of the Saint John Garrison Officer's Mess, the United Services Institute of New Brunswick, the New Brunswick Rifle Association, and the Community Concert Association. His long interest in railways led him to collect information about railways and railroads in New Brunswick.

Source: Prominent People of New Brunswick, 1937

Anderson, Ethel

  • MS134
  • Personne
  • 1894-1972

Ethel Anderson (4 Jan 1894 – 5 Feb 1972) was the daughter of William L. & Ella Sophie (Pallen) Anderson. She was born in Fredericton and was a lifelong resident of the city, graduated from UNB in 1916, and worked with J. Clark & Sons, as well as a secretary for the Lieutenant Governor, W.G. Clark. She was a member of the UNB Alumni Association, the University Women’s Club, the Anagwakade Chapter, IODE, and Christ Church -Parish Church.

Anderson, Job

  • Personne
  • 20 January 1838 - 1910

Job Anderson (b. 20 January 1838) was a farmer in Sackville, New Brunswick. He was married to Emma [?] Anderson (b. 10 June 1845). They had one daughter, Nell (b. 14 March 1868) and one son, Fred (b. 3 November 1883).

Résultats 41 à 50 sur 1564