Showing 2240 results

Authority record

Allen, Thomas

  • Person
  • 1841-1936

Rev. Thomas Allen was born on 2 August 1841 in Leicester, England, the son of John and Mary (Cooke) Allen. He was ordained a clergyman circa 1866 and he came to Canada by 1870 to minister in New Brunswick. He served the following Methodist congregations:
1881 – Andover, New Brunswick
1882-1885 – Keswick, New Brunswick
1886-1888 – Boiestown, New Brunswick
1889-1891 – Derby, New Brunswick
1892-1894 – St. David’s, New Brunswick
1895-1898 – Hillsborough, New Brunswick
1899-1901 – Florenceville, New Brunswick
1902 – Elgin, New Brunswick
He was married to Mary Eliza Bishop (1845-1932) on 7 July 1870 in Sandy Cove, Digby County, Nova Scotia. He died on 26 December 1936 and is buried in the Gray Island Cemetery in Hillsborough, New Brunswick.

Allen, Thomas Jackson

  • Person
  • 1876-1959

Thomas Jackson Allen was born on 11 June 1876 in the Parish of Greenwich in Queens County, New Brunswick, the son of Rev. Thomas Allen (1841-1936) and Mary Eliza Bishop (1845-1932). He was married to widow Ella J. Wells (1866-1954) on 30 December 1903. She was the daughter of Hiram L. Turner (1828-1903) and Adeline F. (Allen) Turner (1835-1918). He worked as a barrister for the Canadian National Railway. He died on 11 October 1959 and is buried in the Gray’s Island Cemetery in Hillsborough, New Brunswick.

Allison, Charles Frederick

  • Person
  • 1795-1858

Charles Frederick Allison (1795-1858) was born in Cornwallis, Nova Scotia, and was the son of James Allison, a farmer and merchant, and Margaret Hutchinson. He married Milcah Trueman on June 23, 1840. They had at least one daughter. Charles Allison died in Sackville, New Brunswick.

Charles Allison grew up in Cornwallis, N.S., and received his education there. He moved to Parrsboro, N.S., where he worked as a clerk in a store owned by a relative by marriage. At age 21, Charles joined the mercantile firm of William Crane and Bardin Turner in Sackville, New Brunswick. William Crane was a cousin of Charles'. Within a few years, he became a partner in the firm. The Crane and Allison business operated both in the Sackville area as a distributor of local agricultural produce and imported goods and on the Miramichi River exporting lumber to Liverpool and selling provisions and imported commodities. The firm's widespread trading links in Great Britain and the New England states played a significant role in the development of shipbuilding in Sackville parish. Allison retired from active business in 1840 to devote himself to the establishing educational facilities in Sackville.

A spiritual crisis during the 1830s resulted in his conversion from Church of England to the Methodist denomination. Through the Rev. William Smithson, Charles began to attend Methodist services in 1833. In 1836, Charles Allison was among those converted at a series of revival meetings in Sackville, led by the Rev. John Bass Strong.

Methodists had wanted to open an educational institution in the Maritime provinces for many years but had been unable to raise the funds. In 1839, Charles Allison offered to buy land in Sackville for a school and to construct a suitable building at his own expense and donate £100 annually for the first ten years of operation. He laid the foundation for the Mount Allison Wesleyan Academy on 9 July 1840 and supervised the construction personally. The academy opened to students 19 January 1843.

During the following years, he took an active interest in the school's operation, a frequent visitor to the school and served as treasurer until his death.

Charles Allison was shy by nature and shunned public attention. In 1849, he declined an appointment to the Legislative Council of New Brunswick by the government leader, Edward Baron Chandler, despite assurances he wouldn't be called upon to identify himself with any political party. Most of his energy was directed toward the academy.

During the late 1840s and early 1850s, Allison played a leading role in building a school for girls. Again, he supervised the construction. During the summer of 1854, after donating £1000, Charles Allison had the satisfaction of seeing an academy for females in operation with Mary Electa Adams as the lady preceptress. Allison did not live to see the inauguration of another institution bearing his name, the Mount Allison Wesleyan College, 1862, which benefited from a sum left in his will designated for the establishment of a degree granting college.

When Charles A. Allison died, he was not solely remembered for his monetary contributions. In reality, his donations were modest, £10,000. He had provided much time and energy to the Academy and he was considered an able counsellor and a loyal and constant friend of the college.

Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. VIII, 1851-1860

Allison, Frank Drummond, 1884-1951

  • Person
  • 1847-1968

Frank Drummond Allison was born on 29 March 1884 at 61 Sewell Street, Saint John, New Brunswick the son of Frank Octavius and Mary Sara Bonsall (Kaye) Allison. At the conclusion of the war he resigned a position he held with the Bank of Montreal which included work at the head office in Montreal as well as overseas in the Trafalgar Square Branch in London. Thereafter, he entered the employ of Dillion Reed Co., a large New York bond house, serving there for a number of years. He studied art with Wilfred M. Barnes and Maurice Cullen in Montreal, Quebec. He continued his training in the United States with John F. Carlson and abroad with George Elmer Browne. He was awarded the Jessie Dow Prize for the best watercolour by the Art Association of Montreal in 1933. He exhibited in Montreal, New York, Boston, Philadelphia and London, England. He is represented in the collections of the New Brunswick Museum, Saint John; Milliken University and Decatur Institute of Civic Arts, Springfield, Illinois; Peoria High School; Y.M.C.A. – Saint John; International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation and private collectors. He died on 18 July 1951 in Saint John, New Brunswick and is buried in Fernhill Cemetery in the same place.

Allison, Leonard A.

  • Person
  • 1855-1903

Leonard A. Allison, K.C., was born in Newport, Nova Scotia on 3 March 1855, the son of John and Rachel (Shaw) Allison. One of his uncles, David Allison, was the president of Mount Allison University and another, W. Henry Allison represented Hants County at federal and provincial levels of government. He graduated in 1875 from Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick as valedictorian. He then taught classics at Sackville Academy for six years. This interest in classics continued throughout his life. In 1880 he entered the legal profession, studying under H. A. Powell of Sackville, Silas Award of Saint John, and Albert S. White of Sussex, all former classmates at Mount Allison. In 1884, he was called to the bar as a barrister. He formed a partnership with Silas White in Sussex. The firm became White, Allison and King in 1889. Mr. Allison married Ada Susan Murray (1858-1930), daughter of John Murray of Penobsquis, in 1885. The couple had two daughters, Jean Elder Allison (1893-1982) and Mary Rathbun Allison (1894-1983). A member of the Methodist Church, he served as choirmaster for the Sussex Church. In this capacity, he compiled and arranged a selection of hymns and chants. He then copied the selections into individual books for the entire choir. Mr. Allison was also a member of the Sussex School Board, taking a deep interest in his duties to the extent of spending many hours each week in classrooms. His greatest interests were history, genealogy and photography. He compiled meticulous notes but refused to publish until he was certain of his facts. He did publish a biography of the Rev. Oliver Arnold, the first rector of Sussex and an ancestor of Mrs. Allison. Another publication pertained to the history of the Indian school at Sussex. He also presented several papers to members of the New Brunswick Historical Society. During the last 10 years of his life, Mr. Allison collected information on Sir William Fenwick Williams, a native of Nova Scotia, a hero of the Crimean War and Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia as well as a relative of the Arnold family. He was unable to complete this study. In 1902, Leonard Allison travelled to Torquay, England for health reasons. He died there 8 January 1903, leaving his wife and two daughters.

Alward, David

  • Person
  • 1946 - 1965

Photographs were from David Alward father Ford's training with the 8th Canadian Hussars from 1950-1951. He joined the Hussars in October 1946 with others from Havelock, New Brunswick and was a private with "A" troop. Each summer David's father went to Camp Petawawa to train on actual tanks. In the late 1940s he was promoted to Lance Corporal and then Corporal. From 1948-1949 he went to Business College. During this time David's father was asked to take over the Havelock troop thus becoming a 2nd Lieutenant. From November 1950 to May 1951 he was in Camp Borden to train to become a Troop Commander. While at Camp Border he traveled to Camp Meaford to train with live ammunition. When David's father completed the course he was promoted to First Lieutenant. In 1952 he attended Gordon College and in 1956-1957 he attended the Ontario Agricultural College

Amherst: Trinity-St. Stephen’s Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • 1847 -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Methodists had been active in the Amherst-Point de Bute-Sackville area since the 1780s. After a building built for Baptists was opened in 1819, the Methodist congregation worshiped here but then moved to the Court House in 1824. In these early years Amherst was part of the vast Parrsboro Maccan Circuit. It was not until 1841 when the first Methodist church was erected in Amherst. Amherst became the head of a Methodist circuit in 1847.

In 1874, the present site for a new Methodist church was purchased from C.E. Ratchford, and in 1876, a building with a seating capacity of 350 was dedicated. This proved too small for the growing congregation and on 22 August 1906 the cornerstone was laid for a 1200 person capacity church. The builder was Charles Reid and the architect was C.B. Chappell. The new building was opened on 22 September 1907 and became Trinity Methodist Church.

A Methodist church was also established at Fort Lawrence, located on the Isthmus of Chignecto, north-west of Amherst. A Methodist chapel was built in 1807. This chapel was used until 1845 when a new church was built. Then in 1893, the cornerstone was laid for a third building which was opened for worship in 1894. A Methodist mission was begun in the “Highlands” of Amherst in 1905. This church separated from Trinity Methodist into a separate circuit including Fort Lawrence and Brookdale.

In 1827, Reformed Presbyterian (Scottish Covenanter) minister Rev. Alexander Clark arrived in Amherst and established a church. A building was erected at the corner of Albion and Church Streets. Clark continued as minister of this congregation until his death in 1874.

St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church of The Presbyterian Church in Canada was established on 30 August 1875. Services were held in the Masonic hall, then located on the corner of Victoria Street and Maple Avenue. The Sunday School was organized in 1876. When the Masonic hall burned in 1877, the congregation moved to White’s Hall, the site of the present Baptist Church.

In 1878, construction began on St. Stephen’s on the corner of Lawrence and Victoria Street, and it was officially opened in that year. In 1880, there was a suggestion of a union between the Presbyterian Church and the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Amherst. This suggestion was rejected by the Reformed Presbyterians. After their last minister, Rev. S.D. Yates, left in 1887, most of the Reformed Presbyterians joined St. Stephen's. The St. Stephen's congregation outgrew their former building and a new church was opened in 1900.

In 1903, the congregation divided and Knox Church was organized. In 1911, however, the two churches reunited and Knox Church on Robie Street was sold. In 1925 St. Stephen’s Presbyterian voted to join the union which the created The United Church of Canada and it became St. Stephen’s United Church.

In 1925, St. Stephen’s Presbyterian voted to join the union which the created The United Church of Canada and it became St. Stephen’s United Church. Trinity Methodist Church became Trinity United Church. St. Stephen’s United Church and Trinity United Church were united to form Trinity-St. Stephen’s United Church in 1936.

In 1925, Fort Lawrence United Church amalgamated with Trinity-St. Stephen’s, and in 1968 the church at Hastings joined with them. In 1959, the Fort Lawrence church building was sold to the Reformed Baptist church in Amherst. It was taken down and moved to Spring Street.

Amnesty International

  • Corporate body
  • Began activities in 1969

The first meeting of Amnesty International in Sackville, New Brunswick, was took place on 8 December 1969, at the instigation of Elizabeth Boyle, who with her husband, John, had been members in their native Ireland. The executive elected at a second meeting on 6 April 1970 included Boyle as secretary, Lesley Read as treasurer and a vacant chair. The International Secretariat titled them "Canada Group 4" and immediately assigned them two prisoners of conscience. The several Amnesty International Groups of Canada were each administratively separate and received direction from the International Secretariat in London, England.

Laing Ferguson of the Geology Department of Mount Allison University served as chair of the group for 5 years. A Christmas greeting card campaign begun in 1972 continued for 13 years becoming a major national fundraiser effort involving virtually all of the 50 or 60 groups across Canada. Artist David Silveberg of the Fine Arts Department of Mount Allison University donated the use of one or two of his engravings each year with profits forwarded to the National Section.

Three members of Group 4, Laing Ferguson, Ken Adams and Janet Adams, traveled to Longueuil, Quebec to participate in the founding meeting of the independent Amnesty International groups on 12-13 May 1973 where a constitution and by-laws were formulated and Amnesty International Canada was established.

Shortly after this meeting, Robert Boyer Inch of Brandon University, Manitoba (a former Director of Alumni and Public Relations at Mount Allison University) was became national director. John Humphrey, Professor of Law at McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, was the first president. Laing Ferguson became anglophone Vice-President in 1973/74 and president in 1976/77. In 1976, Montreal Group 7 proposed that Amnesty International - Amnestie Internationale, Canada Section Canadienne be split into two. A compromise was reached by 1978 in which the Canadian Section has two branches, Amnesty International Canadian Section (English Speaking) and Section canadienne francophone.

Locally, Group 4 in 1980 hosted the national annual general meeting. During the following year and a half the group was virtually dormant, but in March 1983 a membership drive focused on Mount Allison students brought in enough new members to resume regular meetings and to apply for prisoner dossiers. Group 4 remains active to date.

Anderson family (descendants of Thomas Sr.)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1745

The Anderson family were descendants of Thomas Sr. (1745-1841) and Mary Anderson, who emigrated to Sackville, New Brunswick, from Yorkshire, England, in the early 1770s. Settling at Cole’s Island, situated on the Tantramar Marsh near Sackville, the first two generations engaged in farming. Titus Anderson, grandson of Thomas Sr., became a master mariner, the first of many seafaring men in the Anderson family of Sackville.

Anderson family Genealogy (Sackville)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in ca. 1745

Collection contains material concerning the Anderson family, founding pioneers of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, including genealogical information for the Anderson’s of Sackville, New Brunswick, identifying the branch that migrated west before the mid 1870s. This consist of: "The Hardscrabble Andersons", by Mary Augusta, n.d. (after 1986); "Two White Oxen, a perspective of early Saskatoon, 1874-1905", from the memoirs of Barbara (Hunter) Anderson, compiled and edited by George W. Anderson and Robert N. Anderson, revised edition 1993; genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas Anderson (1745-1841); genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas R. Anderson (1745-1841), with family connections with Seaman, Crabtree, Pidge, and Tingley; and genealogical chart of the descendants of William George Anderson of Saskatoon, b. 1898.

Results 41 to 50 of 2240