Showing 1867 resultsAuthority record
- 2004 - present
Tom's first experience with the 8th Canadian Hussars came about in 1964, when he got a job with the regiment during the summer months. He went on to University before rejoining the regiment as an officer. Tom was posted to Camp Gagetown. He is the Chairman of the 8th Hussars Museum.
Theodore Harding Porter was born in 1837, Nova Scotia, died in 1881, son of Rev Theodore H. Porter and Lydia Rand. He married Elizabeth "Lizzie" Jane Estabrooks (born 1838) on 27 May 1862, Gagetown, New Brunswick, daughter of Stephen P. and Elizabeth Estabrooks. They had eight children: Maggie B. (born 1864), Francis Wayland (born 15 Oct 1865, Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia), Theodore Harding (22 March 1867-1886), and Arthur C. (born 1869), Harry A. (born 1872), Grace R. (born 1874), Emma E. (born 1877) and Fred (born 1880). Theodore was the Pastor of the Baptist Church in Fredericton for eight years starting in 1870.
Theodore Clowes Barker, “Theo”, the son of Robert & Mary (Brown) Barker, was born at Fredericton on 6 Oct. 1891. He was a member of the Canadian militia prior to the First World War and with the outbreak of the war enlisted in the 23rd Field Battery and served overseas. In October 1915, he received a commission to serve with the Imperial Army Permanent Force and until 1920 , when he was repatriated to Canada, he saw service in many countries including Ireland, Turkey, and the Black Sea region of Russia. He married Betty Poulton while in London in 1918 and when he returned to Fredericton in 1920, began work with the New Brunswick Dept. of Public Works where he remained until his retirement in 1959. He also remained active in the military during the interwar period. On the death of his father in 1929, he took on the post as Secretary to the Lieutenant Governor that, on his death in 1960, passed to his wife, Betty. Thus for a period of over 75 years the Barker family served the Lt. Governor’s of NB as Secretary. Theo died on 9 Dec 1960.
Thelma Blanche Toft was born on July 7, 1912 in Tower Hill, Charlotte County, New Brunswick. She was the daughter of Frederick Rose Toft, who was born on March 1, 1887 and Jessie Velma Hyslop, her date of birth is unknown, but her date of death was October 2, 1931. They were married on February 3, 1909. Velma had one brother George Mckenzie Toft, born June 29, 1909 in Tower Hill. After the death of her mother, her father remarried Bessie Victoria Davis on November 29
Sydney Valpy Radley-Walters CMM, DSO, MC, CD, (nicknamed "Rad") (born January 11, 1920) was a tank commander in the Canadian Army.
Radley-Walters was born in 1920 and graduated from Bishop's College in 1940. He was commissioned in the Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment in October of that year. The regiment was predesignated 27th Armoured Regiment (The Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment) in January 1942 and embarked for England in October 1942.
The regiment was part of the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade supporting the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division landing in Normandy on D-Day 6 June 1944. Captain Radley-Walters commanded a tank during the Battle of Normandy. On D-Day + 1, 7 June 1944, in fighting near Saint-German-la-Blanche-Herbe, with the 12th SS Panzer Division, Radley-Walters had his first kill, a Panzer IV. Major Radley-Walters commanded a tank squadron in the regiment. His unit was credited with killing the tanker ace "The Black Baron" Michael Wittmann of the 101. Schwere SS-Panzerabteilung, though which tank in the squadron had the actual kill is unknown. This claim has been disputed by 3 Troop, A Squadron, 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry tank regiment gunner Joe Ekins, who also claims to have killed the Panzer ace. Radley-Walters was awarded both the Distinguished Service Order and the Military Cross and for his outstanding leadership and gallantry as a squadron commander.
His regiment participated in Operation Market-Garden and broke through and relieved the 101st Airborne Division.
By the end of the war, he was the top tank ace, the ace of aces of the western Allies (and therefore, of Canada), with a total of 18 kills. From July 1945, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel, and commanded the Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment as part of the Allied Occupation Force.
After the war, Radley-Walters served on peacekeeping missions in Cyprus and Egypt.
In 1957, he became the Commanding Officer of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's). He attended NATO Defence College in Paris and was assigned to the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe from June 1961 to July 1962. He returned to Canada as commandant of the Royal Canadian Armoured School in Camp Borden. In 1966, he became the Director-General Training and Recruiting at Canadian Forces Headquarters in Ottawa.
In June 1968 he was promoted to brigadier-general and took command of 2 Combat Group at CFB Petawawa. In 1971 he became the commander of the Combat Training Centre at CFB Gagetown.
Radley-Walters retired in December 1974. He served eight years as colonel of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) and in November 1980 became colonel-commandant of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps.
Trooper Stevens was the Son of Frank and Elizabeth Stevens. He lived in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada prior to joining the Regiment. He died on September 9th, 1944 at the age of 26.
Trooper Charles Thomas Stevens (G/191) is buried in the Ancona War Cemetery, Italy. Section I, Row G, Grave Stone 12
- 22 July 1890 - 6 June 1964
Sterling Alexander Limerick, the son of John R. Limerick (1854-1911), of Fredericton, and Annie Kelley (1857-1940), of Portland (now part of the city of Saint John), was born in Fredericton, York County, New Brunswick, on 22 July 1890. He had no fewer than 6 siblings, namely, Arthur K. (1877-1947), Helen Reid (1878-1886), Ida May (1880-1886), John R. (1894-1894), Gertrude R. (1885-1900), and Harold F. (1892-1957). The family lived at 233 St. John Street, in Fredericton. Sterling Limerick's aunt, Susan Carleton Kelley (1863-1959), who ran a millinery establishment in Fredericton, lived with the Limerick family for many years. His brother, Harold (Hal) Limerick, served as Fredericton's postmaster from 1946-1957.
Sterling A. Limerick first began working for James S. Neill and Sons Ltd., a department store located in Fredericton, in 1907, as an office boy. Beginning on 8 July 1918 and for approximately 46 years, he was more formally employed with the firm. He was named manager of the hardware department, in 1924, and he held that position for 25 years until, in 1950, he was named that department's chief purchaser. Well-known for his window displays, in the 1930s he was awarded several cash prizes in national window display contests.
Sterling A. Limerick had an active social life. He was well-known in his community and well-connected to leading residents. As a young man, he went to the cinema (pictures), plays, musical performances, and dances; attended hockey and baseball games, horse races, carnivals, lodge meetings, and church; went for drives (automobile) with his friends; curled on local rinks; bowled; and spent many hours at "the club" and at a camp located in the Fredericton area. Sterling A. Limerick served as president of the Fredericton Curling Club, and was a member of the Fredericton Shrine Club, the Luxor Temple, the Algonquin Club, the Royal Arch Chapter of the Masonic Order of New Brunswick, Hiram Lodge No. 6 (Free Masons), and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. He never married.
Sterling Alexander Limerick died, at the Victoria Public Hospital, in Fredericton, on 6 June 1964, aged 73 years, and was buried in the Rural Cemetery. His estate donated a collection of period toys to Kings Landing Historical Settlement, located at Prince William, soon after his death.
Stephen Humbert Hitchings was born in St Stephen, New Brunswick on August 26 1806. He was the son of Robert Hitchings and Rachel Willet. He married Charlotte Eaton Wright and they had 3 children. Stephen H Hitchings died in St Stephen on Sept 7 1886. His parents were Robert Hitchings, born 1767 and died 1773 and Rachel Willet, born 1773 and died in 1847. Stephen and Charlotte Hitchings had three sons, Francis, born 1837 and his date of death unknown. Robert Boylestown, born 1857 and died 1895 and Henry Stephen born 1842 and died in 1925.
Stephen Humbert Hitchings was a partner in the Saint Stephen’s Gas Light Company. The other partners where William Todd, George S. Hill, John M. Adam, Noah Smith junior and Seth W. Smith. The act to incorporate the company was passed on April 12, 1856. They were authorized “to hold all such real and personal estate as necessary and proper to enable them to carry on the manufacture of Gas for the purpose of lighting the streets, factories, and all other buildings and works in the parish of Saint Stephen and Charlotte County. And to construct such reservoirs, gas holders, gas pipes, and other things as necessary and proper for such purpose”.
Stephen Glasier was the son of Lieutenant Benjamin Glasier and Mary (nee Baskey), Loyalists who came to New Brunswick in 1782 and settled at Lincoln in Sunbury County. Stephen and his brothers, John and Duncan, were instrumental in establishing the lumbering business on the St. John River. Stephen Glasier died on May 2, 1861, and is buried in the family cemetery in Sunbury County.