Showing 2063 results

Authority record

Albion Steam Works (Nashwaaksis, N.B.)

  • Corporate body
  • Founded in 1836

Albion Steam Works was founded in 1836 in Nashwaaksis, New Brunswick, across the St. John River from Fredericton. Co-founders William Braithwaite and William P. Kay, originally doing business as Braithwaite, Kay and Company, combined a variety of business ventures to form the firm. They constructed a brewery, oat and flour mills, a smithy and a cooperage, machinery for garding (gardening or farming), a shop to turn wood and iron, circular sawing for joiners work, facilities to cut hay and straw and for bruising oats. All the company's machinery was run by steam engines. In fact, the owners' primary intention was to open a general engineering firm to serve as an outlet for the sale of steam engines and mill machinery.

In addition, Albion Steam Works operated a general mercantile business. Albion Store sold a variety of imported products, as well as locally produced goods, such as pork, fish, stoves, vinegar, grain, flour, beer, coal, and plaster of Paris. The Works also offered architectural design services, which included estimates for building construction. This work was probably completed by co-founder William Porden Kay, who, in the 1840s and 1850s, would be employed as a colonial architect by his uncle, the governor of Tasmania, to design a number of public buildings there. Merchants John V. Thurger and Robert Chestnut served as company agents in Saint John and Fredericton respectively. In July 1837 the firm expanded when a store opened on upper Queen Street, Fredericton, with Anthony Lockwood as agent. A drying kiln and a barley mill were added in September of the same year.

The services of Albion Steam Works were in demand in the late 1830s. These records suggest that the volume of business increased to the point that the firm acquired the schooner "Mary Ann" to transport raw materials upriver and end products to market. The ledgers contain a number of accounts pertaining to the provisioning of the "Mary Ann". The date Albion Steam Works ceased operation is unknown.

Sources: Daniel Johnson's Vital Statistics from New Brunswick Newspapers on-line; MC248; and other records.

Alcock, F. J.

  • Person

F. J. Alcock (1948) mapped the geology of Grand Manan and the adjacent islands. Alcock's pioneer work clearly delineated the principle features of the bedrock geology of Grand Manan.

Alexander Addison Sterling ‘A.A.’

  • Person
  • 1838-1927

Alexander Addison Sterling ‘A.A.’ (1838-1927) was born at Lower St. Marys and married Sarah Ann Story Haws (1847-1923) in August 1869. He was appointed high sheriff of York County in 1883 and was a prominent Fredericton businessman. They had 11 children but Hebert & Alex Jr. died in infancy, Florence of diphtheria at age six, Estelle of scarlet fever at age twenty, and Archie of an appendectomy at age 34. The surviving children were Helen (1871-1957), Mabel (1876-1947), Sarah ‘Sadie’ (1877- ), Spencer (1878-), Alice (1884-1961) and Louise (1892-1971). Spencer married and moved to Montana, Sadie married and moved to Washington and the remaining four sisters lived at home. They built their residence at 767 Brunswick St. in 1888-89 where the family lived until the last Sterling daughter died in 1971. The contents of the residence became the responsibity of a guest of the family, Stuart F. Gay, who had been living with the Sterling family at 767 Brunswick St. for a long period of time.

Alfred Cliff Yerxa

  • Person

Alfred Cliff Yerxa was born on March 15, 1902 in Fredericton, New Brunswick, to parents Elijah Burpee Yerxa (1868-1932), a grocery merchant from Fredericton, and Emma Rose Maxwell (1874-1954) of Petitcodiac. Elijah and Emma married in 1898 in Fredericton. Emma’s parents were named James Yerxa and Letitia Kane, and Elijah’s parents were named Elijah M. and Harriet S. Yerxa. Emma and Elijah also had two other children named Harold (b. 1900) and Edith (b. 1911).
On September 5, 1928, Alfred Yerxa married a woman named Effie Barker Keirstead (1903-1992) in Sheffield Parish, Sunbury County. Effie was born in Woodstock, N.B., to parents Hattie E.S. Barker of Sheffield, Sunbury County, and Dr. Perley T. Keirstead of Steadholm, Kings County (1859-1940). Sometime after Effie was born, the Keirstead family moved to 241 Aberdeen St. in Fredericton. Dr. Keirstead got his medical education at Dartmouth Medical College in New York in 1883 and retired in 1917. His parents’ names were William and Mary Keirstead.
Hattie Barker was the daughter of Whitehead Pritchard Barker (d. 1894), who was the son of Enoch Bishop and brother of Sir Frederic Eustace Barker (1883-1915). Sir Frederic was Chief Justice and Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick. Hattie’s mother was Isabella Harrison, sister of Honourable Archibald Harrison, C.B. Harrison and J and W.F. Harrison of Saint John.
An article in the Saint John Progress (June 28 1888) indicates that James Harrison and his brother Charles emigrated from County Antrim, Ireland, to South Carolina in 1767. Also, according to the book titled Prominent People of New Brunswick,

All Saints Anglican Church

  • Corporate body
  • 1788-

It was British policy in the 18th century to support every colony with the establishment of a Church of England. The government agency responsible for this policy was called The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG).

Rev. Dr. Samuel Cooke was sent by the SPG to Saint John, NB in 1785. Rev. Cooke visited St. Andrews and described the Town as, “…a regularly laid out town of 200 houses with a good safe harbour and fine country around it”. With financial support from the SPG, the Church of St. Andrews was constructed on Church Lane in the Town of St. Andrews.

In 1788 the Church opened its doors to all denominations as a place of worship. The first resident clergyman, Rev Samuel Andrews, served the community between 1786 and 1818. By 1821 with the support of Rev. Cooke, the Church of St. Andrews vestry acquired 1,591.5 acres of glebe land of which 57.75 acres were town lots.
Although the Presbyterians withdrew in 1819, the Church continued to serve the broader Christian community until 1826. The SPG replacement for Rev. Andrews was Dr. Jerome Alley, who served the Parish from 1819 until 1858. During his 39 year tenure, the Church of St. Andrews was re-consecrated All Saints Church in 1826. Additionally, Dr. Alley was responsible for the construction of the Chapel of Ease of Saint John the Baptist in Chamcook, N.B. The Chapel was consecrated by Bishop Medley of Fredericton July 16, 1846 and continues to serve the Parish to this day. By the end of Dr. Alley’s ministry in 1858 the SPG had withdrawn grants from foreign parts and the Church began to rely on income from pew rental, contributions from parishioners, and profits from glebe rentals.

In 1867 a new church was constructed on King Street under the supervision of Rev. W. Q. Ketchum, who served as rector until 1901. The church was originally designed to be constructed of stone but Walter Mansfield Buck, Chief Engineer of the New Brunsick & Canada Railway, revised the plans and proposed a wooden framed building after it became apparent that the Parish could not afford a stone building.

The current minister is the venerable Archdeacon Rev. John Matheson.

All Saints Church (St. Andrews, N.B.)

  • Corporate body
  • Established ca. 1786

St. Andrews, New Brunswick, was settled by Loyalists in 1784. In 1786, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel assisted the Rev. Samuel Andrews, a Church of England priest and Loyalist from Connecticut, to come to St. Andrews as a missionary. With the guidance of Andrews, the people in the settlement built a church, which, while it belonged to the Church of England, was intended to include all the Protestants of the community. It was named All Saints Church but was always known locally simply as the Church of St. Andrews.

The colonial government provided nearly all the money, and construction was completed in 1790. Internal furnishings were privately funded. In 1846 a chapel-of-ease, built at Chamcook and called St. John's Chapel, was consecrated by John Medley, Bishop of Fredericton. The Rev. Andrews remained in the parish until his death in 1818. He was succeeded by Jerome Alley, from 1819 to 1858, and William Ketchum, from 1858 to 1900. By 1867, the community had grown and other Protestant denominations had built their own churches. A new and larger church, known by its official name of All Saints Church, was constructed, which has served the Anglican community ever since.

Allaby, Eric

  • Person
  • 1943 -

Eric Allaby was born August 7, 1943, on Grand Manan Island, he graduated from Grand Manan High School and Acadia University (B.Sc., 1964). He became a teacher and worked as a diver. A Ford Foundation fellowship enabled him to research maritime history in North America and England. He was an underwater archaeologist with the National Museums of Canada (1973- 1976) and a founding member of the North American Society for Oceanic History. He has written several books and articles on marine history, including Shipbuilding in the Maritime Provinces, The August Gale, two Grand Manan Historians on shipwrecks around Grand Manan Island, and Grand Manan. He is a marine artist and has exhibited his work around the province. First elected October 13, 1987, as the Liberal MLA for Charlotte-Fundy, he was on numerous committees. Re-elected September 23, 1991, and again in September 11, 1995, for the new riding of Fundy Isles. He chaired the government caucus (1997-1999). He was re-elected June 7, 1999, and served on several committees, and as Opposition House Leader. He was re-elected for a fifth term June 9, 2003. His riding of Fundy Isles was merged with the riding of fellow Liberal Rick Doucet to form Charlotte - The Isles in the 2006 redistribution of boundaries. As a result, Allaby chose not to seek re-election in the 2006 election. In 2007, he was named to the board of directors for the New Brunswick Provincial Capital Commission. Eric Allaby and his wife Berneta reside in Grand Manan, N.B. They have a son and a daughter.
Eric was the curator at the Grand Manan Museum and many of his sketches describing underwater archaeology around the Grand Manan Archipelago are on permanent display. This map shows Eric's love for sharing his knowledge with others and he has published many maps describing Grand Manan and her history.
Source: Biographies of Members, Legislative Assembly, New Brunswick, 55th Legislature, 2004.
Source: Wikipedia

Allan's Pharmacy (Saint John)

  • Corporate body
  • Operated until 1909

W.C. Rudman Allan was a druggist and chemist in Saint John, New Brunswick, and operated Allan's Pharmacy until 1909. He may have been related to Thomas Allan (died 1860), one of the founders of the New Brunswick Foundry.

Source:
Saint John and its Business, 1875;
New Brunswick Biographical Review, 1900

Allen Davis

  • Person
  • 1945

Alan Davis is a donor to the archives of the 8th Hussars Museum

Allen family (Port Elgin)

  • Family
  • 1841-1969

The Allen family were pioneers in the area of Port Elgin, New Brunswick. The family's presence in New Brunswick began with the arrival of Rev. Thomas Allen (1841-1936) from Leicestershire, England. He was the son of John and Mary (Cooke) Allen. He was ordained as a Methodist clergyman circa 1866 and he came to Canada by 1870 to minister to various congregations in New Brunswick into the early twentieth century. He was married to Mary Eliza Bishop (1845-1932) on 7 July 1870 in Sandy Cove, Digby County, Nova Scotia. She was the daughter of Edward Bishop and Rachel (Warrington) Bishop. The couple had the following children: George B. (1871-1874); William C. (1872-1898); Mary Edith (1874-1966), a teacher; Thomas Jackson (1876-1959); Frances "Fannie" Seymour (1878-1968), wife of noted Canadian novelist and poet, Theodore Goodridge Roberts (1877-1953); Ada E. (1881-1967) and Bertha (1883-1969). Most members of the family are buried in the Gray Island Cemetery in Hillsborough, New Brunswick.

Results 31 to 40 of 2063