Showing 1863 results

Authority record

Shediac Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1849] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Shediac Pastoral Charge is located in Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Preaching points are at Trinity United Church.

There was a Presbyterian congregation meeting in the Scotch Settlement area as early as 1849. The congregation originally started as the Church of Scotland, changed to the Free Church, went back as a Church of Scotland in 1865, and eventually switched back to the Free Church.

The old meeting house at Scotch Settlement near the new Presbyterian church was totally destroyed by fire with all its contents on February 17, 1886. The present church building was dedicated on March 28, 1886.

In the fall of 1891, the Presbyterians of Shediac, Scotch Settlement, and Cocagne united and were supplied by the same minister. On July 14, 1912, the Presbytery of Saint John bestowed on Shediac, Humphreys, and Scotch Settlement the status of a congregation instead of a Home Mission Field. In 1925, the Presbyterian churches in this area became part of The United Church of Canada.

Methodism in the Shediac area had its roots with Robert Atkinson, a circuit rider who travelled through the area to promote the building of a Methodist Church. In 1826, Methodist ministers meeting in Saint John decided to acquire land for the erection of a church in Shediac as there was discussion of a rail line being built to Shediac. Shediac was originally part of the Petitcodiac Methodist Circuit. The first church in this area was built in 1841 and was later enlarged in the 1850s. In 1855, Shediac became part of the Moncton Methodist Circuit and in 1861, Shediac and Dorchester became a separate circuit. In 1873, Shediac became the head of its own circuit and included the preaching points of Shediac and Shediac Corner (Lakeville). In 1878, the church at Shediac was sold and the money invested in the land already obtained in the village of Shediac as the site for a new church. Construction was started on the new church in 1879 and the building was dedicated on October 31, 1880. In 1889, the Shediac Circuit was changed to include only Sheidac and Lakeville. Lakeville became part of the Sunny Brae Circuit in 1895 but rejoined the Shediac circuit in 1909 only to go back to Sunny Brae in 1910. The church building in Shediac was destroyed by fire in 1893 and a new building was dedicated on September 2, 1894. A manse was purchased in 1906. Shediac Methodist Circuit became part of The United Church of Canada in 1925.

The Methodists in the Lakeville area held meetings in their homes until a church building was completed in the fall of 1879. The building was formally dedicated on February 1, 1880.

After the creation of The United Church of Canada, the Methodist Church in Shediac became Trinity United Church and was joined by St. David’s United Church of Scotch Settlement (formerly Presbyterian) to make a 2 point charge. During the 1930s, the boundaries of the Shediac Charge were enlarged to include McKee’s Mills, Notre Dame, Coates Mills, and Buctouche along with Scotch Settlement and Shediac. In July 1, 1941, the pastoral charge boundaries were changed to include only the 2 original points of Shediac and Scotch Settlement.

On July 4, 1954, Lakeville United Church transferred from the Humphrey Memorial Pastoral Charge to became part of the Shediac Pastoral Charge. In 2008, Lakeville United Church and St. David’s United Church in Scotch Settlement formed a separate Pastoral Charge known as Lakeville-St. David’s and Trinity United Church in Shediac became the sole point on the Shediac Pastoral Charge.

Halifax: Bethany Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • [1860] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Bethany United Church of the Bethany Pastoral Charge began as a mission Sunday School organized by the Halifax Sunday School Association of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and St. Matthew's Presbyterian Church in 1860. The church building was opened in 1867 on a hill overlooking the Arm Bridge on land donated by John Hostermann, who owned Hostermann's Mill.

In 1868, Bethany was a Mission Charge which included North West Arm and Richmond. In 1870, Goodwood was added to the pastoral charge of North West Arm Presbyterian Church. The church had been built in 1842. From 1871-1875, the Mission Charge was made up of Goodwood, North West Arm and Richmond, and became Goodwood and North West Arm from 1876-1896. Richmond became a separate pastoral charge in 1880.

In 1882, Goodwood and North West Arm were recognized as a regular Mission Station of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church was called the North West Arm Presbyterian Church, until 1897 when the congregation incorporated under the name Bethany Presbyterian Church of North West Arm.

Bethany became an Ordained Mission Charge and from 1896-1913 and was comprised of the congregation of Bethany Presbyterian Church, Goodwood and Rockingham.
Bethany Presbyterian Church joined the Established Presbyterian Church of Canada in 1915 and remained Bethany Presbyterian Church.

In 1925, Bethany Presbyterian Church became part of The United Church of Canada and the name was changed to Bethany United Church. A new church building was erected on Dutch Village Road near the North West Arm in 1928, which served the Congregation until 1958. This building is currently used as a Chapel and a day-care centre. The new church building erected in 1958 is located on Clinton Avenue adjacent to the 1928 church building.

Bathurst Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1836] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge. Bathurst Pastoral Charge is comprised of First United Church, Bathurst and South Tetagouche United Church in Gloucester County, New Brunswick.

Rev. Michael Pickles preached his first sermon in Bathurst in August 1930. In 1838, Bathurst and New Bandon Methodist Circuit contained the appointments of Bathurst, Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and “the Capes.” Tetagouche was added around 1841 and its building was constructed in 1861. In 1845, the Bathurst and New Bandon circuit was expanded considerably. The area served not only included Bathurst, Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and Tetagouche, but also Jacquet River, Eel River Dalhousie, Campellton, and Upsalquitch. The circuit, however, after 1853, was confined to the immediate area of Bathurst including Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and Tetagouche.

The Trinity Methodist sanctuary was built in 1832 on Murray Avenue. It was replaced by a new church on the same property in 1875. The old building was dismantled in 1882. A parsonage was built in 1911 and the church was remodeled and enlarged in 1917.

A site for a Methodist church building in South Tetagouche was chosen in 1861. Construction was begun in 1861 and the church finished sometime shortly after. A new church was built in 1883 and the former building was demolished on August 27, 1894. In 1925, the Methodist church in South Tetagouche became South Tetagouche United Church.

In 1925, the Bathurst Methodist Circuit became part of the United Church of Canada. The church in Bathurst became known as Trinity United Church.

St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church began when a group of settlers met in Bathurst in 1829 to apply to the Glasgow Colonial Committee of the Church of Scotland for assistance in obtaining a minister and opening a subscription list to build a church. The building was completed in 1839 and called St. Luke's. In 1840, the Glasgow Colonial Society appointed Rev. George McDonnell to St. Luke’s. A manse was built in 1848 and a new manse was built in 1911.

The church building was destroyed by fire on January 3, 1915. It was replaced by a new building two years later on St. Patrick Street. Messrs Chappell Hunter were the architects.

In 1925, St. Luke's Presbyterian Church, by a large vote, decided in favour of Church Union, thus becoming, along with Trinity Church, part of the United Church of Canada. St. Luke’s United and Trinity United were merged on July 4, 1941 to become First United Church.
Worship services were held in St. Luke’s United while Trinity United became the centre for Sunday School, midweek groups, funerals and other service functions.
Belledune was an appointment of Bathurst Pastoral Charge until 1967. Middle River was a preaching point from 1942 until 1950. Bass River was a preaching point from 1942 to 1964.
In 1944, the Board decided to sell St. Luke’s manse situated on St. Patrick Street. In 1946, the land on which Camp Elm Tree is situated was purchased.
In 1947 the Donald Eddy Memorial Hall was built on a separate site to provide much-needed facilities for education and recreation. It was officially opened on December 1. 1947.

By November 15, 1998, the original church structures were demolished and a new $1.4 million building, attached to the hall, was dedicated as First United Church.

Upsalquitch Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • [1917] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Upsalquitch Pastoral Charge is located in Restigouche County, New Brunswick, and consists of preaching places at Robinsonville (St. John’s United Church) and Upsalquitch (St. David’s United Church).

The church at Upsalquitch began as a Presbyterian church taking on the name St. John's in 1917.

At the time of the union of the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational Churches into the United Church of Canada, 1925, the churches now in Upsalquitch Pastoral Charge were in Matapedia Pastoral Charge. In 1949-1950, they became part of the Restigouche Pastoral Charge along with Flatlands, Glen Levit, and Tide Head. Then in 1955, Robinsonville and Upsalquitch became the Upsalquitch Pastoral Charge.

Charlottetown: Spring Park Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • 1958 -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Spring Park United Church is located in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The village of Spring Park became part of the city of Charlottetown in 1958. In the summer of 1959, a survey was conducted by Trinity United Church to determine the area in the Charlottetown district which would most benefit from the erection of a separate church building. It was found that there was a high number of United Church members in Spring Park who were interested in a church being built in that area.

On December 6, 1959, a project to organize a Christian Education Centre in Spring Park was officially launched. On this same day, Spring Park Sunday School was started and the next week saw the organization of youth groups such as the CGIT. A bungalow at 137 Upper Queen Street was used for services. In 1960, a committee was formed to find larger facilities for the growing church. It was decided to erect a temporary building. The inaugural service of Spring Park as a preaching point of Trinity United was held on November 29, 1960.

Spring Park became a separate pastoral charge from Trinity United Church on June 30, 1964. A new church building was dedicated on June 7, 1965.

Mount Stewart-Morell-St. Peter's Bay Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1806] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Mount Stewart-Morell-St. Peter's Bay Pastoral Charge is on Prince Edward Island. Preaching points are at Mount Stewart (St. John's), Morell (Peter Gordon Memorial) and St. Peter's Bay.

Through the efforts of Rev. James MacGregor, the Presbytery of Nova Scotia set up the first official Presbyterian congregation on the island in 1806. Prior to this, services had been held here sporadically between since 1744. This pastoral charge consisted of Covehead, St. Peter’s, and Fortune. In this same year, Rev. Peter Gordon was ordained and inducted into the pastoral charge. One of the first Presbyterian churches, known as “The Barren’s Church” was constructed in St. Peter’s Harbour in 1806. A second church was constructed in 1812 on the site of the present-day Midgell Cemetery.

By July 1843, it was decided to divide the large congregation into two pastoral charges: West St. Peter’s and Covehead became one pastoral charge and East St. Peter’s and Bay Fortune formed a second pastoral charge. Due to rapid growth, West St. Peter’s was separated from Covehead on July 28, 1852. Six years later, in 1858, Bay Fortune and Souris were separated from East and West St. Peter’s to form a new pastoral charge. On July 7, 1859, West. St. Peter’s and Mount Stewart were separated from East St. Peter’s to form another new pastoral charge.

Mount Stewart Presbyterian Church was erected in 1853 and was based on plans which had been used in the construction of the Presbyterian Church at West River, Nova Scotia. The plans were brought to Mount Stewart by Mr. James Ross, a school teacher, and later proprietor of the Ross Hotel in the village. In 1875, the building was augmented by adding 24 feet to the end of the building for 30 additional pews.

St. Peter's Bay Presbyterian Church was erected in 1890. Despite the protests of the people of Savage Harbour who would have to travel farther to church, a new church was built at West St. Peter's in 1888. This church was closed in 1896. On August 18, 1889, another new Presbyterian church was dedicated at Marie. Timber from the old Midgell church (built in 1812) was used in the construction of the new church. By this time, the St. Peter’s Bay Presbyterian congregation consisted of three churches: St. Peter’s Presbyterian Church, Marie Presbyterian Church, and Greenwich and Cable Head Presbyterian Church. .

In 1859, Mount Stewart is named on a circuit to be visited from Charlottetown. In 1871, the Methodist church at Cranberry Point was hauled to a site in Mount Stewart, and was later relocated to a site across the street from the Presbyterian Church. Mount Stewart Methodist Circuit joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and the church building was used by the non-concurring Presbyterian congregation. The Mount Stewart Methodist Circuit included Mount Stewart, Marie, Dunstaffnage, and Black River.
The Dunstaffnage church was rebuilt and dedicated in 1916.
By vote of 121 to 71 it was decided in 1925 to join with the United Church of Canada, and the Presbyterian Church became the United Church building. The old Methodist church and parsonage went to the non-concurring Presbyterians, who called their church St. David's.

In 1925, St. Peter’s Bay Pastoral Charge consisted of the preaching points of Greenwich, St. Peter’s, and Marie while the Mount Stewart Pastoral Charge contained the preaching points of Mount Stewart, Bristol and the former Black River Methodist Church which entered union as the Donaldston United Church.

The Greenwich and Cable Head United Church was closed in 1960 and members joined the St. Peter’s Bay United Church for worship. On 1 July 1961, Donaldston, Mount Stewart and West St. Peter's and St. Peter's Bay were amalgamated to form the current Pastoral Charge. The churches at Donaldston and West St. Peter's were closed and a new church, Peter Gordon Memorial Church, was built at Morell on January 6, 1963. The Donaldston people worshipped at Mount Stewart. The Donaldston church building was dismantled in 1977.

In 1993, the name of the pastoral charge was changed to Mount Stewart-Morell-St. Peter’s Bay Pastoral Charge.

Alberton-Elmsdale Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • 1829 -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Alberton-Elmsdale Pastoral Charge is on Prince Edward Island. Preaching points are at Alberton (Gordon Memorial) and Elmsdale.

Presbyterian ministers were visiting the Alberton area as early as 1826. In 1829, Presbyterian families in Alberton petitioned Prince Edward Island Presbytery for regular supply and William McGregor began to visit the area twice year, covering five Sundays. In 1831, 14 families decided to organize themselves into a distinct pastoral charge and construction of a church began in that same year with the exterior of the building being completed in 1833. By 1835, the church building was in use. The first settled minister to the charge was Rev J.C. Sinclair who arrived in 1843. Construction began on a larger building in 1854 but it was destroyed by fire just before completion and construction began on a new building (The Old Dock Church) was completed in 1856.

In 1865, West Cape, Brae, and Campbellton separated from Alberton to form a new congregation. Almost 20 years later, in 1881, Montrose, Elmsdale, and Tignish separated from the congregation at Alberton to become a separate pastoral charge.

The first Presbyterian church in Montrose was built in 1885. There was also a Methodist church across the river from the present side. Anticipating church union, the Methodist Church was sold to the Anglicans, whose church had burned, in 1924. The Presbyterian Church became the United Church building in 1925. That church building burned in May 1944 and a new building was opened on November 11, 1945. Regular services in the church ended in 1969 with services being held a couple of times in the summer.

In 1859, the Methodists in Bedeque recommended that Rev Robert Wilson, a missionary, be sent to the area along the coast between West Cape and North Cape, A year later, the area was formed into the Elmsdale Methodist Mission with Rev. William C. Brown overseeing 13 preaching places. In 1863, the West Cape Methodist Circuit, as it was then known, was divided with a separate preacher being procured for Cascumpec, Kildare, and Tignish. In 1870, the West Cape Methodist Circuit was renamed Alberton Methodist Circuit. From 1902-1925, West Devon which is now part of O'Leary Pastoral Charge was part of the Alberton Circuit. At the time of church union, Alberton Methodist Circuit contained the appointments of Alberton, Montrose, Miminigash, Cascumpec, and West Devon.

Elmsdale became part of the Alberton Methodist Circuit in 1870. Land for construction of a Methodist church in Elmsdale church was obtained in 1880 and a church was built in 1884. The next year the Presbyterian Church purchased the church building from the Methodists.
A church was built in Cascumpec in 1872.

The church in Miminegash began as a Bible Christian preaching station in 1836 and construction was started on a chapel on Lot 7 in 1845. In 1881, both the Bible Christians and the Methodists built new churches. The two denominations were merged into one in 1884. Twelve Bible Christian families went to the Presbyterian Church and the Bible Christian building was used by them until it was sold in 1916.

A church was built in Campbellton circa 1862. Until that time, the Methodist families in Campbellton walked to West Point to church (22 kilometers).

In 1925, the Congregational, Methodist and most Presbyterian Churches were united into one denomination -- the United Church of Canada. Upon church union, Montrose Pastoral Charge contained the preaching points of Elmsdale, Campbellton, Miminegash, and Montrose and Alberton Pastoral Charge consisted of the preaching points of Cascumpec, Tignish, and Alberton. The Methodist church in Alberton was moved to another lot and became the church home of the Presbyterians who did not enter union. The Old Dock Church was moved to the former site of the Methodist Church and became Alberton United Church.

In 1966, Alberton and Montrose Pastoral Charges united to share a minister. This worked so well that the charges amalgamated on 1 July 1969. In 1970, the congregations at Alberton, Montrose, and Cascumpec united to become known as Gordon Memorial and Elmsdale, Miminegash and Campbellton became known as Elmsdale. The Alberton Church is designated "Gordon Memorial" in honour of missionaries to New Hebrides (Erromanga) -- the Reverends George N., and wife Ellen, and James D. Gordon who were martyred.

A union church of Episcopalian, Baptist, Presbyterian, and Methodists was opened in 1861. Twenty years later the Presbyterians joined the pastoral charge of Montrose and Elmsdale and a building was constructed in 1893 on land donated by Mrs. Elizabeth Haywood. Upon church union, Tignish became part of Alberton Pastoral Charge. The building was sold to the Village of Tignish on 5 December 1972 to be used as a museum. In 1979 the village sold the church.

Grand Manan Chamber of Commerce

  • Corporate body
  • 1927 -

The Grand Manan Chamber of Commerce on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, began as the Grand Manan Board of Trade, incorporated in 1927. From all available minutes and financial papers, it appears that the active organization began in May 1944. The first secretary-treasurers were: Walter S. Ogilvie, 1944-1945; J. Wallace McLean, 1946-1947; Kenneth W. Ingersoll, 1947-1948; L. Keith Ingersoll, 1948-1950; Leon G. Small, 1950-1951; and Rolfe W. Cronk, 1951-1952.

The name was changed to the Grand Manan Chamber of Commerce in 1980. The Chamber has been involved in improving ferry service, mail service, and road conditions. They have provided recreational activities through fairs and war celebrations. They have sought advancements for agriculture, education, housing, environment, health care, and lately, aquaculture. In 2002 the Chamber of Commerce is still active and working with the Grand Manan Tourism Association to continue improving life on Grand Manan Island.

Grand Manan Red Cross Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1940 -

The Grand Manan Red Cross Society and its village auxiliaries were formed 7 February 1940. Forty women and 6 men attended a meeting held at Shorecrest Lodge, North Head, Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick. Mrs. Calvin Scovil was elected president; Mrs. Hazen Daggett, Mrs. H. Bryant, Mrs. Sumner Zwicker, and Miss Alice Ingalls were elected vice-presidents. The secretary elected was Mrs. J.R. Parker, and Mrs. Wellington Flagg was elected treasurer.

Results 21 to 30 of 1863