Showing 29 results

Authority record
Charlotte County Archives


  • Family
  • c.1800s

Japhet Hill McAllister was the son of John McAllister whose
parents Daniel McAllister and Mary Patterson came from New
Boston, New Hampshire with other settlers at the end of the
Revoluntary War and obtained land in the Parish of St. David.
Japhet’s mother, Keziah, was the daughter of Japhet Hill
whose family were early settlers at Machias. They followed the
traditional occupations of farming and lumbering.

            Japhet H. McAllister operated a mill at Upper Mills on the
St. Croix and the family residence was in Milltown. His wife was
Lucy; her family name is not known. Japhet also engaged in
farming and lumbering and, in 1851, he joined with William Porter,
Daniel Hill and others to form the Musquash and Digdeguash Brook
River Driving Company, incorporated under Provincial Law. He was
a member of the Baptist Church. His daughter, Emeline, married
Andrew Murchie McAdam, son of Hon. John McAdam, politician,
who also engaged in the lumber industry.


The papers of Japhet Hill McAllister originated between
1826 and 1862 and are concerned with his personal and
business affairs. Included are deeds, mortgages and leases
to his various properties including his mill at the Upper Dam
in Milltown, also documents concerned with fire wards, the
Baptist Church and the Middle Bridge. All are photocopies
of the originals held by John Gilman of Deer Island.

Van Horne, Sir William Cornelius

  • Person
  • 1843-1915

Sir William Van Horne began his railway career as a telegraph operator for the Illinois Central Railway in 1857 and worked his way up from ticket agent to train dispatcher, then Superintendent of Telegraphs and finally to Division Superintendent. He was successful in rebuilding and consolidating several US based railways and in 1881 he was enticed to undertake the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). In September 1885 Van Horne became CPR Vice-President. Within four years he was elevated to the position of President. He became Chairman of the CPR Board in 1899 and he resigned in 1910.

Sir William Van Horne was flamboyant, outspoken and multi-talented. His interests were legend as was his sophistication. He had a passion for art and he dabbled in architecture. Incredibly, while the CPR's contract with the government dictated completion of the road within a decade, Van Horne - through sheer determination - found ways to finish it in five. Even more remarkably, once Van Horne had completed the CPR, he operated it and, despite the economic malaise for most of the 1880s and 1890s, made it into a paying proposition. Surely, the Canadian Pacific's role as an instrument of Canadian nationalism would have followed a different course, had Van Horne not been at the helm.

Van Horne purchased part of Minister's Island in 1890. He continued to buy other parcels with the last piece being purchased by his daughter Addie after Sir William's death in 1915. He constructed a summer estate on the site which included Covenhoven - a 50-room summer home with walls constructed from sandstone cut from the shore, a windmill, leading edge gas plant, carriage house, garage, circular bath house and farm buildings. The centrepiece of the agricultural buildings is the livestock barn, a massive two-story timber structure with a hipped gable roof, which was home to Van Horne's thoroughbred horses and prized herd of Dutch belted cattle.

In its day, the Island and Van Horne's activities were a major tourist draw for St Andrews and played a major role in the economic development and support of the region. Indeed he was single-handedly responsible for attracting many of his wealthy friends who came and made St Andrews their summer homes and established St Andrews as Canada's first and oldest seaside resort. Van Horne's engagement of Edward Maxwell, the renowned Boston and Montreal Architect in the creation and design of Covenhoven and the large agricultural barn set the stage for Maxwell's shaping of many of the magnificent buildings in St Andrews that charm visitors and tourists today.
The centrepiece of Van Horne's agricultural buildings is the livestock barn, a massive two-story timber structure with a hipped gable roof, which was home to Van Horne's thoroughbred horses and prized herd of Dutch belted cattle. The historic barn was designed and constructed in 1899 by Edward Maxwell and Sir William Van Horne. The barn is an integral part of the Island summer estate and reflects the importance Van Horne attached to both architecture and agriculture.

Nehemiah Marks Jr.

  • Person
  • 1794 - 1853

Nehemiah Marks was the son of the Loyalist, Nehemiah Marks, Sr. (1746-1799) and his wife Betsy (Elizabeth) Hawkins (1751-1812). They were Loyalists who settled at the Falls of the St. Croix River (St. Stephen, New Brunswick) in 1784, and are considered prominent figures in the early development of St. Stephen. Nehemiah Marks was born in 1794, and by the time of his marriage in 1812 to Sarah Thompson, the daughter of James Thompson of St. Stephen, he was largely responsible for his father's business interests which consisted of the family store, farm, and wood lands. During the next three decades he expanded his timber holdings in New Brunswick and in Maine, and supplied cargoes of lumber for vessels sailing to England and to the West Indies. Beginning in the 1820s, he started to acquire vessels which he owned and operated himself, and which carried his lumber to many ports. Eventually, he acquired a fleet of nine brigs, one barque, and two schooners, including the brig "Nehemiah Marks" which was built at his own wharf in St. Stephen. In addition to the vessels he owned outright, he was part owner of other ships which he did not manage. Using a network of agents in ports in the West Indies, Ireland, United States, and Liverpool, England, his ships and their cargoes were sent to many ports, according to the season and the market conditions. Returning vessels usually brought clothing, furniture, dry goods, salt, coal, rum, and many other goods for sale in the store. As horses and horse racing were a life-long passion, on occasion, a race horse was included in the cargo. He was also an officer in the Charlotte County Militia for more than twenty years.
When Nehemiah Marks died on 17 August 1853, all of the ships in his fleet had been sold or lost by shipwreck, but his estate still included timber and farm land in Charlotte County, town property in St. Stephen, and vast holdings of wood land in Maine and in York County, New Brunswick. For over twenty years, Nehemiah Marks was an officer in the Charlotte County Militia and Lieutenant Colonel of the Fourth Battalion. He was Overseer of the Poor for St. Stephen Parish for at least ten years, and was an active member of Christ Church (Anglican) in St. Stephen. He was survived by six children: John, Joseph P., Abraham H., Nehemiah, Elizabeth Caroline, and Sarah Henrietta.

Atlantic Policy Congress of First Nation Chiefs Secretariat

  • Corporate body
  • 1995 -

The APC Secretariat is an advocate for speaking with one voice on behalf of First Nations communities. Through research and analysis, they develop and table policy alternatives for matters affecting First Nations communities in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, and Maine, USA.

Atlantic Policy Congress (APC) of First Nations Chiefs Secretariat, was federally incorporated in 1995 and is a policy research and advocacy Secretariat for 32 Mi’kmaq, Maliseet, Passamaquoddy and Innu Chiefs, Nations and Communities. APC is governed by a board of directors comprised of the Chiefs.

With the support of the First Nation communities in Atlantic Canada, APC Secretariat follows a relationship vision that concentrates on partnership and cooperation, government to government relationships, dialogue and education, quality of life, and self-determination in First Nations Communities. In order to accomplish this, APC works closely with community members and leadership to get direction by providing all information in order that communities can make informed decisions.

Save Passamaquoddy Bay

  • Corporate body
  • 2006-2010

A grassroots movement operated through a three-nation (Passamaquoddy, Canada, and the US) effort to stop the development plans of Calais, Quoddy Bay, and Downeast LNG company. LNG was a natural gas company planning to create a regasification plant on the East coast. The movement started in 2006, it’s main focus were the issues of fishermen and the local aquatic life as the large tankers needed a 2 mile exclusion zone and that the US/Canada customs and local governments were not sure on how to deal with the import and export of the liquid gas. Through petitions and legal actions defeated Quoddy LNG on October 17th, 2008. Calais LNG on April 4th, 2012. And Downeast LNG on August 17th, 2016.

John A. Doon Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1920-1970

John Andrew Doon was born on May 01, 1870 and died June 26, 1948. He was the son of Arthur Doon (1831-1918) and Rachel Doon (1833-1906). They had moved to St. Andrews from Deadman’s Harbor, Charlotte County in 1865.

Arthur Doon leased the home on 24 King Street, St. Andrews which was directly behind the Hardware Store, some time prior to 1900. In 1900 his son John Arthur Doon purchased it. It then became the Doon Family home until the 21st century.

John Andrew Doon was a successful boatman and St. Andrews fish dealer.
He was married to Luella Jack and had two sons. George Doon's dates of birth and death are unknown, though John Eldon Doon who was born in 1910 and died December 14, 2000.

The Doon residence saw three generations of Doons, and the property was conveyed to John Eldoon Doon in 1940.

The Doon Residence at 24 King Street, St. Andrews is designated as a Local Historic Place for its architecture and its past occupants. The actual construction date is not certain, but the style suggests that it was built in the late 1700s or early 1800s.

Nehemiah Marks Sr.

  • Person
  • 1746 - 1799

Nehemiah Marks was born in Derby, Connecticut, on 9 October 1746. He was the son of Mordecai Marks (1706-1771), a Sephardic Jew who emigrated from London, England, in 1721 and became a prosperous merchant. He converted to the Anglican faith and in 1729 married Elizabeth [Hawkins] of Derby, Connecticut. Soon after the Revolution began, Nehemiah Marks went to New York where it is believed he carried despatches for the British army. He served as a captain in the Armed Boatmen, a Loyalist corps, with a commission dated 5 October 1782. His commission as a lieutenant in the Maryland Loyalists, dated 1 October 1783, can be found among the papers of his son, Nehemiah Marks, Jr. With the evacuation of New York City, Nehemiah Marks, Sr. was forced to seek refuge in Nova Scotia, and on 1 November 1783, he was appointed a captain in the Nova Scotia Militia for the District of Port Mouton, and charged with the responsibility of settling his men and their families. The refugees remained at Port Mouton for the winter of 1783, but in 1784 Captain Marks decided to move to the Falls of the St. Croix River (St. Stephen, New Brunswick), and a number of his men chose to accompany him. On May 23, 1784, a group of about 200 including men, women and children led by Capt. Nehemiah Marks, steered up the St. Croix River to the head of tide and landed on the Canadian banks of the St. Croix River.
For their loyalty, King George III granted them land, which over time they made prosperous. A large community grew around shipbuilding and lumbering industries, which would eventually become the Town of St. Stephen.
In 1770, Nehemiah Marks married Betsy (Elizabeth) Hawkins (1751-1812), the daughter of Abraham Hawkins (b.1725) and his wife, Elizabeth Basset (b.1728) of Derby, Connecticut. Eight of their children are known to have survived, including: Elizabeth Ann (b.1772), Betsy (b.1774), Hannah (b.1776), George Beckwith (b.1778), John, Nehemiah (1794-1853), Rebecca, and Abraham Hawkins (b.1796). When Nehemiah Marks died in 1799 at the age of fifty-two years, he left an estate that included a house and a store in St. Stephen, a large tract of land on which much of the present Town of St. Stephen is built, and several hundred acres of woodland.

George Gardiner

  • Person
  • 1856-1938

George [Gardiner or Gardner] was born on 8 March 1856 in Weymouth, Dorset, England. He was the son of William Gardner and Anna [Mylard or Myland]. He came to Canada at about age 16 and began working here. He came to St. Andrews in approximately 1894. He was married to Mildred Gardner. He died on 28 April 1938 in St. Andrews, New Brunswick and is buried in the Rural Cemetery.

Charlotte County Gaol

  • Corporate body
  • 1786-1979

The first gaol for all of Charlotte County was built on Water Street in 1786 near the current town hall. It was a two storey wooden building with the courthouse on the upper floor and the prison of four cells on the ground floor. The floor was a dirt floor, and the prisoners would dig their way to freedom and escape across the river. The first escape occurred in 1787. At the time, the Sheriff was responsible for the value of whatever the escapees had stolen. In 1828 the Sherriff was sued for allowing so many escapes to occur, and because the escapes continued to occur, it was decided in 1816 to rebuild the gaol. In 1826 an act was passed authorizing the magistrates of the County to sell the gaol and erect a more suitable building for the prisoners as the old one was poorly kept and the County felt it wass too unclean for prisoners. The original building (the gaol and courthouse) was sold to the town of St Andrews in 1831 for one hundred pounds. It was converted into a town hall upstairs and a market downstairs until it burned in 1872. The 1830s were a very prosperous time for St Andrews because of the shipping industry so the County decided to build a new gaol. This time it was to be on a hill where it could stand out as a symbol of its importance. The courthouse was built a few years later. Not long after the courthouse was finished, the period of prosperity ended. The cornerstone of the new gaol was laid in 1831 (engraved in the granite stone outside above the gaol door). The first inmates arrived in 1834. The gaol continued to be used as a jail until 1979. In 1982 it became the residence of the Charlotte County Archives.

Results 21 to 29 of 29