Affichage de 29 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Charlotte County Archives

Pope, Ziba

  • MC71
  • Personne
  • 1779-1852

Pope was a trader/smuggler established in the Passamaquoddy Bay region by ca 1805. For a time he lived at Eastport (Me), for a time he lived on Pope’s Folly (NB) where his smuggling warehouse was located, and for a time (ca 1808-1814) lived in the Magaguadavic River valley (St George parish) of Charlotte County. In 1814 he established his home at Randolph (Vt) but continued active in St George parish for a few years. Between 1809 and 1817 he bought or sold land 19 times, all transactions relating to sawmilling interests at Second Falls in St George parish. In 1817 he sold his last milling interests to Jacob Hanks, his foster brother, and centered his business in Vermont, first at Randolph and then Lincoln.

In 1812, in the course of driving a herd of smuggled cattle on the Great Road from St Andrews to Fredericton, Pope attended a religious meeting and was converted. He immediately became a preacher and began a journal. The journal runs from 1812 to 1832 and deals exclusively with his spiritual life and gospel itineracy, not business. During the earlier years covered by the journal, he preached mostly in Charlotte County and in the townships of Yarmouth, Argyle and Barrington in Nova Scotia. From 1812 to 1821 he preached as a New Light in the tradition of Henry Alline. From 1822 until 1832 he preached as a Freewill Baptist. In 1832 he stopped preaching and concentrated on business for the rest of his life.

The partial transcription of Pope’s journal at the CCA was donated by William Pope (1936-2013) of Northfield, Vt. The original journal is held by Hamilton College, Clinton, NY.

Moore - DeWolfe family

  • MC72
  • Famille
  • Branch begins in 1812

John Warren Moore (1812-1893) was born at Moores Mills, New Brunswick, the son of Tristram Moore and Thankful Foster. He was a grandson of William Moore, a Loyalist and head of the Cape Ann Association from New Hampshire, who settled in Charlotte County in 1785. In 1833 he married Mary Louisa DeWolfe (1813-1890) of St. Stephen, the daughter of John DeWolfe, a descendant of Nova Scotia Loyalists, and his wife, Eliza Jane Rudolf. She had 4 brothers: John Kirkland, Thomas Moody, James, and Charles; and 2 sisters, Caroline Augusta and Eliza Jane. John and Mary Louisa Moore had 2 sons and 5 daughters.

John Moore became a well-known cabinet-maker in St. Stephen. His son, Harris, apprenticed to him and joined the business in 1870 when it became J. W. Moore and Son. John's other son, Edward, who lived on the American side of the border in Calais, also had a financial interest in the business.

Source:
Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. XII

Cockburn, Melville N.

  • MC74
  • Personne
  • 1860-1928

Melville N. Cockburn began his career in law in 1883 with an appointment as deputy sheriff of Charlotte County. From that time until his death in 1928, he held several positions as an officer of the courts, including clerk of the circuit court, registrar of probates, judge of probates and Queen's counsel. He moved his practice office to St. Stephen in 1917, but retained his office in St. Andrews until 1919. After that time his office files were stored in the attic of St. Mark's Lodge, where they remained until 1975.

Aymer, John

  • MC75
  • Personne
  • 1800-1900

John Aymer of St. Andrews petitioned the Provincial Assembly for the privilege of building a water system for St. Andrews. This was granted by an act of the Assembly, renewed in 1845 and extended to 1860. However the company was not incorporated until 12 April 1861 by Benjamin F. Milliken, John Aymer, James W. Chandler, John Bradford, Wellington Hatch, and William Kerr. Benjamin R. Stevenson was president during the last days of the Company.

Ingram family (St. Andrews)

  • MC76
  • Famille
  • 1800-1900

William Ingram was from Newton Abbot, Devon. He was a baker. He emigrated first to Boston where he married Mary (surname unknown). They moved to St Andrews where his father Charles Ingram, a tailor settled in 1834. They seem to have had some difficulty in making a good living. Mary operated the bakery after William died and also took in boarders

Gilman, John

  • MC8
  • Personne
  • 1750-1900

Grimmer family

  • MS19
  • Famille
  • 1827 - 1974

Genealogical chart of descendants of Thomas Grimmer of St. Stephen, NB. The Grimmers were originally a St. Stephen family. The St. Andrews and Chamcook branches are descendants of George Skiffington Grimmer, a grandson of Thomas Grimmer who came as a member of the Port Matoon Association. The papers relate mainly to F. Hazen Grimmer, George S. Grimmer, Frank Howard Grimmer, George Durrell Grimmer, John Davidson Grimmer, J. W. Grimmer, John Grimmer, Thomas Grimmer,

Résultats 11 à 20 sur 29