Showing 192 results

Authority record
Family

Barker family (Sheffield, Sunbury County)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in the 18th century

Brothers Joseph Barker (d. ca. 1796) and Benjamin Barker (d. ca. 1799) were living in the parish of Sheffield, Sunbury County in New Brunswick by 1785. Their family had probably arrived there with a group of Planters or pre-Loyalist settlers from New England in the 1760s. They both signed a land petition in 1792 as dissenting Protestants and they may have been Congregationalists or Puritans. Joseph married Sarah Burt and had 4 children: Jacob, Isaac, Peggy and Betty. Benjamin died in 1799 or 1800, leaving his estate to his wife Peggy and a son and daughter.

Sources: Hale, R. Wallace, Early New Brunswick Probate Records 1785-1835

Barker family (Victoria County)

  • Family
  • fl. late-19th and early-20th centuries

Brothers Arthur, Roy and Charles Barker of Victoria County, New Brunswick, operated hunting and fishing camps on the shores of Stewart Lake and the tributaries of the Tobique River near Plaster Rock, Victoria County, New Brunswick. Visitors from Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Maine travelled to these camps (Riley Brook Camp, Stewart Camp, Branch Camp) as early as 1905, to hunt for moose, deer, bear, caribou, and partridge and to fish for trout and salmon. The business was operating in 1932.

Barr family (Saint John)

  • Family
  • b. after 1816 - d. 1881

Thomas Green Barr, (b. ca. 1821-d.1 881) was the son of William Barr who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick, from Glasgow, Scotland. It is believed William Barr married Mary Green on 9 December 1816. Thomas carried on the ironmongery business begun by his father and grandfather. Thomas Barr was appointed surveyor of lumber for the City of Saint John in 1847. He was a lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion of the Saint John City Light Infantry in 1865 and was Captain in 1867. Thomas was a member of the Saint Andrew's Society.

Thomas was married twice. First, to Maria Louisa Haviland (b. 3 February 1820-d. 22 September 1855) on 11 January 1843. They had 3 children: William Haviland (b. ca. 1846), Maria Louisa, (b. ca. 1847) and Thomas Edward (b. ca. 1850). Thomas remarried on 11 March 1857 to Jane M. Condle (b. ca. 1847-d. 22 September 1922 at age 75) of Greenwich, Kings County, N.B. Their children were: Frederick, Annie, Edith and Elizabeth. Frederick became a travelling salesman and was married to Ida Harding. They had a daughter, Jean.

Barry family (Fredericton)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1858

Jeremiah Hayes Barry, the son of Julia Hayes and Patrick Barry (d. 1888), was born at Maugerville, Sunbury County, New Brunswick on 21 May 1858. He had 6 siblings, namely, Edward, James (m. Susan Farrell), John, Patrick (d. Duluth, Minnesota), Michael (d. Winnipeg 1889), and Julia (m. Ryan). Patrick Barry, Sr., had emigrated from Bandon, Ireland, to New Brunswick in 1840. Jeremiah H. Barry (also known as Jery) received his early education at Maugerville, later attending the Collegiate School at Fredericton. He studied law under the Honourable James A. Van Wart and was admitted as an attorney, on 28 June 1882, and was called to the bar in June 1884. On 10 June 1891 he married Isabella E. Owens (1866-1951), the daughter of Isabella and John Owens (1834-1926), a merchant, of Fredericton, and they had four children, Charles Rossiter, Mary Elizabeth (known as Molly), Paul Rossiter Hayes, and Agnes Rita (O'Brien). The Barry family lived at 751 Brunswick Street, in Fredericton, and attended St. Dunstan's Roman Catholic Church.

Jeremiah H. Barry practised law in Fredericton alone before going into partnership with the Hon. A. G. Blair. The firm functioned from March 1887-1896, under the business name Blair & Barry. In 1896 Blair was appointed Minister of Railways in Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier's cabinet. J. H. Barry served as crown council on some important criminal cases. in 1885 he was named clerk of the York County Court. He was appointed Queen's Council in 1899, and in September of the same year, he was appointed judge of probate for York County, holding that post until May 1909. J. H. Barry was named to the bench of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick, in May 1909, the first Irish Roman Catholic to be so named. On the re-organization of the Supreme Court, on 11 December 1913, he was appointed a justice of the King's Bench Division. He was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick, King's Bench Division, on 1 October 1924. He served in that capacity until his retirement on 18 October 1945.

Beyond his legal career, J. H. Barry was interested in municipal and community affairs. He was a member of the Senate of the University of New Brunswick, a trustee of the Victoria Public Hospital, a member of Fredericton's Board of Health, vice-president of the Barristers' Society, a member of the Knights of Columbus, and a councillor of the Board of Trade. In 1914, he received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of New Brunswick. Jeremiah Hayes Barry died at Fredericton on 23 March 1946, aged 87 years, and was buried in the Hermitage, Fredericton. His wife, Isabella E. Barry, passed away in 1951.

Jeremiah H. Barry's son, Charles Rossiter Barry, was born on 1 April 1892, at Fredericton. He attended local schools, graduating from Fredericton High School. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of New Brunswick, in Fredericton, in 1912. Subsequently, he studied law at Dalhousie University, Halifax, earning an LL.B. He was called to the bar of New Brunswick in 1916. Charles R. Barry was appointed judge of probate for York County about 1936 and a justice of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus, Fredericton Curling Club, Fredericton Tennis Club, and the Fredericton Automobile and Boating Club. As well, like his father, he was a member of the Liberal Party. Charles Rossiter Barry died unmarried on 23 December 1968

Charles Barry's brother, Paul Rossiter Hayes Barry, was born on 4 November 1900. He attended local schools, graduating from the University of New Brunswick, in Fredericton, in 1920. He was employed as a credit manager in Long Island, New York. He married Violet C. MacMillan (b. 1906), a registered nurse. Paul R. H. Barry died in 1985, and was buried in the Hermitage, Fredericton.

Their sister, Mary Elizabeth Barry (known as Molly), was born on 13 August 1893. She graduated from Fredericton High School, in 1910, and subsequently attended the Villa Maria Convent School, in Montreal, from 1910-1912, which was operated by the Sisters of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame. Villa Maria, a private Catholic girls' high school, received students from Canada and the United States. Molly Barry became a librarian and worked in Fredericton.

Lastly, Agnes Rita Barry (also known as Dee), was born on 22 June 1894. She graduated from Fredericton High School, in 1911, and, like her sister, Molly, attended Villa Maria Convent School, from 1911-1913. She became a registered nurse and worked in Fredericton prior to her marriage, on 30 June 1931, to John McPeake O'Brien. John O'Brien, the son of Lavina McPeake and John O'Brien, of South Nelson, Northumberland County, was a merchant and lumberman. They had at least one child, a son, John Barry O'Brien, born 2 June 1938.

Sources: Daniel F. Johnson Vital Statistics from New Brunswick Newspapers; RS141 Vital Statistics from Government Records; Censuses of Canada on-line and automatedgenealogy.com; profile of Jeremiah H. Barry on http://www.newirelandnb.ca/People-Biographical-Profiles/Bio-Profiles-Jeremiah-Hayes-Barry.html and MC303.

Beatteay family (Saint John)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1769

The Beatteay family was originally from Chatham, England. Captain James Beatteay, 1769-1849, was a mariner by occupation and a Loyalist who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1783. William B. Beatteay, 1808-1877, was the son of Captain Beatteay. He married Mary Ann Chadeayne, 1817-[18?] on 15 September 1829. They had at least one son, John B. Beatteay (1831-1898). John married Mary E. Tufts on 12 June 1866, and they had at least one child, a daughter Louise Gertrude, who was born in 1879. In 1871 Saint John census lists another daughter, Maria.

William and his son John were in the sawmill business and their operation was located in Carleton, West Saint John. There is also a Ketchum Beatteay listed as being in the sawmill business, however, no clear relationship with the father and son can be established. Members of the Beatteay family owned land in Carleton and appeared to have lived mostly on the west side. There was also intermarriage with another Loyalist family, the Olives, who were also land owners in the same area.

Sources: McAlpines City Directory 1863-1864; Dunphy, Marion, Parts of a Missing Census St. John County, N.B., 1861; Wood-Holt, B., Early Marriage Records of New Brunswick; Census Saint John 1851, 1871, 1891

Bell, Kenny (family)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1739

This collection was compiled by Edwin Wallace Bell and Dudley Johnson Bell, sons of James A. Bell and Deborah Kenny. The research material it contains forms the content of the book, "Israel Kenny His Children and Their Families" by Edwin Wallace Bell, which appeared in 1944. Well-known New Brunswick historian Lilian M. B. Maxwell supplied the introduction.

Born on 23 October 1739 at Worcester, Massachusetts, Israel Kenny was a pre-Loyalist or Planter who came to what is now New Brunswick in 1767. He settled first at Maugerville, Sunbury County and then at Oromocto. He and his wife Susannah Hood had 14 children, three of whom remained in the Oromocto area, while the others relocated to Carleton County, N.B. around 1800. Israel Kenny drowned in 1791, attempting to cross the St. John River on the ice.

By the mid-20th century, the descendants of Israel Kenny in North America totalled over 2,000. The appearance of "Israel Kenny His Children and Their Families" sparked a revival in the publication of works on genealogy in New Brunswick not seen since the late 19th century.

Bell, Samuel William (family)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1902.

Samuel William Bell, the son of Erlon W. Bell (1857c-1925) and Clarabelle Haining (1863-1934), was born in Bristol, New Brunswick, in 1902, the grandson of James Bell possibly from Galloway, Scotland. Erlon made his living working in mills in Bristol and Fort Fairfield, Me., but moved his family to Stickney, New Brunswick, in 1904 after the second of his two sawmills at Bristol was destroyed by fire. Erlon operated a farm in Stickney, and later built a grist mill, a shingle mill, and a sawmill. His son, Samuel, worked with him after 1918.

Sam Bell was involved in lumbering for more than 50 years. In July 1951 his old sawmill burnt, but a new one was constructed the following year. About 1963 it was upgraded from steam power to electricity. Bell eventually amalgamated his company with John Flemming's at Juniper and became general manager of the mills at Stickney and Juniper. In 1967 the company acquired the holdings of the Miramichi Forest Products Company, Ltd. of Blackville, N. B.

Sam Bell died in 1968, and the management of his business was taken over by Dead River Company, Ltd. of Fredericton. In 1972 three companies, Flemming and Gibson Ltd., S.W. Bell (1967) Ltd., and Miramichi Forest Products Ltd were amalgamated as Flemming-Gibson Industries Ltd.

Biggs family (Fredericton)

  • MS119
  • Family
  • 1821-1884

Charles H Biggs, born 1 March 1821, married Frances A. Huestis (8 Jan 1830 – 3 Apr 1904) on 8 Jan 1850. They resided at Regent & Brunswick Sts., Fredericton and Charles was employed as a carpenter. He died on 24 Jan 1885 (his marker in Fredericton Rural Cemetery shows 10 Jan 1884).

Black family (Westmorland County)

  • Family
  • Branch begins before 1775

William and Elizabeth (Stocks) Black, along with their 4 sons and 1 daughter, emigrated to Canada in 1775, settling in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. William was a native of Paisley, Scotland, and Elizabeth of Huddersfield, England. Within a year Elizabeth died. Some years later William married Elizabeth Abber. He divided his Amherst, Nova Scotia property among his children of his first wife and moved to Dorchester, Westmorland County, New Brunswick, where he purchased 800 acres of marsh and upland. He died in 1820. The Black family members included in this fonds are Joseph L. Black, great grandson of William and Elizabeth (Stock) Black, and his descendants.

Joseph moved from Amherst, Nova Scotia, to Sackville, New Brunswick, to work in the store of his uncle Samuel Freeze Black, [ca. 1850]. In a few years Joseph purchased the business which prospered, expanded, and by 1901 was incorporated as Joseph L. Black and sons Ltd. Joseph died in 1907. The company continued to flourish under the management of Joseph's son Frank B. Black, and then Frank's son J. Laurence Black, and was reorganized and incorporated as J.L Black and Sons Ltd. in 1958. Other businesses established by J. Laurence Black during the 1950s and 1960s were Eastview Investments, Black's Hardware Ltd., and Westmorland House Antiques. Besides being successful business men, these Black family members were involved in politics and the county and provincial levels, served their country in two world Wars, and were involved in various community organizations.

Joseph L. Black first married Jane Humphrey, with whom he had one daughter, Minnie, who married Edmund Burke, a Toronto architect who designed "Braeburn", residence of Frank B. Black, and several other Sackville buildings. Joseph L. Black then married Mary Ann Snowball, daughter of Rev. John Snowball. Frank B. Black married Eleanor L. Wood, daughter of Hon. Josiah Wood of Sackville, New Brunswick. J. Laurence Black married Gwendolyn McDonald, a descendant of the Borden and Caldwell families of Grand Pre and Wolfville, Nova Scotia.

J. Walter S. Black, son of J.L Black, was the Director of J.L Black and Sons, Ltd. He had two sons, Robert S. and John. John graduated from Mount Allison and died in World War II while serving with the Royal Canadian Armoured Corp in 1944.

Results 11 to 20 of 192