Showing 1916 results

Authority record

Hatch family

  • Family
  • Branch begins ca. 1751

Christopher Hatch (ca. 1751-1819), wife Elizabeth, was a Boston merchant and Loyalist who was banished from his home in 1778. He served in the Loyal American Regiment and settled at St. Andrews, New Brunswick in 1783. He established shops at St. Andrews, St. George and Campobello Island. He was a close associate of Edward Winslow who described him as one of the "principal dealers" in plaster on Campobello. As such he may have been associated with David Owen. He was also a magistrate, colonel of militia and Assistant Deputy Surveyor-General of the Kings Woods.

Harris Hatch (1780-1856), Christopher's son, married Ann Whitlock, daughter of William Whitlock of Saint John, July 1803. They had at least nine children - Josephine (Capt. Henry Bernard), Isabella (David Green), Augusta Jane (Peter Marter), Emily (Charles Powers), Harris, Wellington (Susan Jones, daughter of Thomas Jones, High Sheriff), Christopher (Susan McGrath), Charles, and Edwin F. (Ann ----). He was a justice of the Inferior Court of Common Pleas, Surrogate and Registrar of Deeds and Wills for Charlotte County. In 1839 he was appointed to the Legislative Council of New Brunswick and sat as a member of that body until his death. He was an officer in the militia and a director of the Charlotte County Bank. He invested in the St. Andrews Steam Mills and Manufacturing Company and was a founder of the St. Andrews Whale Fishery Company. He was a leading promoter of the rail link between St. Andrews and Québec.

His son, Harris Henderson Hatch (1811-1894), the eldest of the family, succeeded his father as Registrar of Deeds and Wills for Charlotte County in 1856, and was concerned with legal matters until his father's death when he took over the family's business affairs. He expanded the family interest in the railway by acting as a shipping agent and later dealer in forest and agricultural products. He owned at least one sailing ship and invested in gold mines in Nova Scotia. He was twice married, first to Mary Campbell and secondly to Mrs. Cordelia Fowler, sister of Admiral Shortland of the British navy. He died with no extant offspring and was survived by his second wife and two sisters.

Hart family (Descendants of Joseph William)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1865

Joseph William Hart, the son of Emeline Robertson and the Reverend James R. Hart, a Methodist minister, was born 19 November 1865 at River Philip, Guysboro County, Nova Scotia. He attended Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph, and, following graduation in 1887, studied at the Royal School of Artillery at Kingston, Ontario. On 10 November 1892 he married Minnie Blanche Dykeman (1869-1939) of York County, New Brunswick, and they had four children: Dorothy (Cobb), Charlotte Robertson (Peck), James Gilbert, and William Edward.

During his professional career, J. William Hart changed his place of residence many times. In 1891 he took charge of the Dairy School at Sussex, N.B., relocating in 1893 to South Carolina to become a professor at Clemson College (1893-1898). Over time Hart taught in several other academic settings including the University of Illinois (1903-1905) and the University of Georgia (1911-1914). He also held a number of government or managerial posts, taking charge of the Dairy School at Queens University, Kingston (1898-1903) and the Fazenda Modelo or Experimental College, San Paulo, Brazil (1905-1910). He also worked for the United States Department of Agriculture in both San Juan, Puerto Rico (1910-1911) and at department headquarters in Washington, D.C. (1911).

Despite well-respected credentials, Hart felt compelled to resign his position as professor of dairy husbandry at the Agricultural College of the University of Georgia when pressured to become an American citizen. He accepted the position of assistant superintendent of Jekyl Island, Brunswick, Georgia where he was in charge of large farming, fishing, game, and forestry interests. On 29 May 1914 he was shot and killed on the island by a local fisherman. The shooting was ruled a homicide. Following her husband's death, M. Blanche Hart returned to New Brunswick, settling initially with her mother, Charlotte Dykeman, in Fredericton, and later with sons Gilbert and William in Saint John.

During the Great War, Gilbert Hart served overseas. He saw action at the Somme and Vimy Ridge. Brother William E. Hart attended King's College, Halifax, and was ordained a priest in the Anglican Church. He married Beatrice Euphemia (Willie) Wilson, and they had five children. William Hart served in the parishes of Ludlow and Blissfield (1932-1937) and Norton / Springfield (1937-1978). His mother resided with him for a number of years. She died at the rectory in Lower Norton on 14 November 1939, at age 70. William died on 11 February 1990. His sisters, Dorothy and Charlotte, who were educated both in the United States and at Halifax Ladies College and Havergal Ladies College (Toronto), married in the United States and remained there.

Harper, Allen family (Shediac)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in the late-19th century

Sarah Estelle Harper, the daughter of Jessie Theal and Duncan Small Harper, was born about 1875 in Shediac, Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Duncan S. Harper owned a shoemaking factory, with his partner Charles Webster, in the 1880s and early 1890s. Harper became ill with a disabling muscular disease in 1889, and in the mid-1890s his business was destroyed by fire. He died in 1903, leaving his wife and seven children: Mary, Winnie, Helen, Sadie (Sarah), Beatrice, Duncan DeBlois, and Dufferin.

Sadie Harper received her early education in Shediac, later studying art, English, violin, and voice at the Ladies College at Sackville, N.B. during the 1894-1895 academic year. She discontinued her formal studies, possibly due to her father's illness, and, in 1903, married educator Frank Allen of Ithaca, New York. Frank was the son of Charlotte Tuttle and the Rev. John Salter Allen, a Methodist minister who had served at Meductic, York County, N.B. where Frank was born in 1873. Frank Allen studied physics, chemistry, and Latin at the University of New Brunswick, and later earned an M.A. and a Ph.D. at Cornell University in New York.

Initially, Sadie and Frank Harper lived in Shediac, where Frank was principal of Shediac High School. In 1904, they moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba where Sadie became involved in the Fort Rouge Methodist Church, the Red Cross, and a number of other charitable organizations, and Frank became the first professor of Physics at the newly-created University of Manitoba. He chaired the Physics Department for 40 years, and produced numerous research articles. He retired from university teaching in 1944, but continued researching and writing for another 20 years. The Allen Building on the University of Manitoba campus, home of the Cyclotron Research Station, was named in his honour.

The Allens raised three children, namely, John, Lillian, and William. John F. Allen was a professor at the University of St. Andrews, William Allen became principal of the Architectural Association School of Architecture, and Lillian Allen (d. 1995) was an associate professor of Housing and Design of the University of Manitoba. Sadie Harper Allen died prematurely in October 1915, and Frank Allen died in November 1965.

Harmon family

  • Family
  • 1791-1851

Michael Harmon was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1791. He served in the British Army for 16 years before moving to New Brunswick, Canada in 1819. He married Sarah Carmichael on April 22, 1821. They had four children James born in 1826, Duncan born in 1828 and Jane born in 1831. The Census in 1851 also show a Thomas Harmon who was then only Two Years old and could have been adopted.

Harding family (Saint John)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1745

It is believed that William Harding (1745-1818) was born in England and emigrated to New York, but actually he may have been born in New York according to a genealogical source on the internet (www.familysearch.com). He came to Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1783 as a Loyalist. He married Sarah Gillies (1747-1825). Their children were: William Jr.; Elizabeth; Mary H.; George, born in Newburg, New York, in 1779; Thomas, born in Saint John in 1786; and John.

Source:
Biographical Review, Province of New Brunswick, 1900

Hanson family (Lepreau)

  • Family
  • [ca. 1827] -

Oscar Hanson (1827-1910) of Little Lepreau, New Brunswick, was a descendant of John Hanson, pre-Loyalist settler on Minister's Island, and also great-grandson of Quaker Loyalist Joshua Knight of Beaver Harbour and Pennfield. Oscar's father, Robert Varden Hanson (1795-1884) first settled at Little Lepreau in 1836, where he built a sawmill, which he later sold to sons Oscar and Gideon.

Oscar was involved in many concurrent careers and activities: landowner; sawmill owner and operator; owner of canning factory; ship's merchant and charterer, shipowner, storekeeper; postmaster of Little Lepreau (until 1898); justice of the peace (as was his father); active organizer for the Liberal Party, member of at least four fraternal organizations; holder of various offices in parish of Lepreau, and Sunday school superintendent (Baptist). He and his brother, Gideon K. Hanson, owned lands leased for New Brunswick Anthracite Coal Company (first shaft sunk in 1876).

Edgar Hanson, Oscar's cousin, was clerk in the Audit Office and then the office of Provincial Secretary . His correspondence with Oscar was often about politics.

Oscar and his wife Helen (Lomax) had seven children who, while not residing at Little Lepreau, maintained summer residence there for many years. Their children were Helen May, Priscilla Knight, Jane Knight , Oscar Jr., Edgar B., Charles Frederick and Ethel (Mrs. R.S. Phillips).

Hanington family

  • Family
  • Line starting [ca. 1759]

William Hanington (ca. 1759-1838) was one of the first English settlers in Shediac, New Brunswick. He was a businessman, engaged in many commercial activities in the area, a politician and office-holder, and a major landowner in the area. His son, Daniel Hanington (1804-1889), was a politician, and a speaker of the New Brunswick House of Assembly. One of Daniel's sons, Augustus Harvey Hanington, a barrister and attorney in Saint John, married Jane Elizabeth Chase. August and Jane Hanington had three daughters: Edith who married T. Wardelow ; Alice who married A.D. Dewdney and Mabel Louise Hanington (1875-1966), a physician and missionary in China.

Mabel was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, and graduated from Saint John High School. She then attended the Trafalgar Institute in Montreal, followed by Trinity Medical College and the Toronto University Medical School, from which she graduated in 1900. She then enrolled in a post graduate course at the New England Hospital for Women and Children, specializing in skin and eye diseases. In 1904, Mabel served as a missionary physician in China under the Church Missionary Society of London, England. After many struggles with disease and ignorance, she became sole physician in charge of Mingteh Hospital for Women and Children at Fukien, China. Mabel lived in China for 14 years and while there became fluent in one of the major dialects of Chinese. During her time in China, her health failed twice and was forced to return home. She kept in touch with developments in China after returning to Saint John.

From 1918 to1935, Mabel Hanington served as Medical Inspector of Schools for Saint John city and county Additionally she organized and served as corresponding secretary for the Mental Hygiene Council of New Brunswick from its inception in 1927 until her retirement. Mabel was also active in the Anglican Church's women's auxiliary.

Haney (Heine) family

  • Family
  • Branch begins before 1783

John Haney (Heine) served as a soldier during the American Revolutionary War. At war's end, he emigrated to what is now New Brunswick, settling, at least for a time, in the parish of Studholm, Millstream, Sussex Vale, Kings County. In December 1804, he was struggling to retain his allotment of land there. Several members of the Haney/Heine family had relocated to the parish of Burton, Sunbury County by the mid-1800s.

Source: RS108 Land Petitions (PANB) and RS686 Land Grants (PANB).

Grimmer family

  • MS19
  • Family
  • 1827 - 1974

Genealogical chart of descendants of Thomas Grimmer of St. Stephen, NB. The Grimmers were originally a St. Stephen family. The St. Andrews and Chamcook branches are descendants of George Skiffington Grimmer, a grandson of Thomas Grimmer who came as a member of the Port Matoon Association. The papers relate mainly to F. Hazen Grimmer, George S. Grimmer, Frank Howard Grimmer, George Durrell Grimmer, John Davidson Grimmer, J. W. Grimmer, John Grimmer, Thomas Grimmer,

Results 181 to 190 of 1916