John Wolhaupter was born in 1771 in New York, and became a watchmaker, clockmaker and silversmith. He married Mary Payne Aycrigg in 1795. Because of their loyalist sympathies, their property was confiscated during the revolution and they came to New Brunswick sometime between 1795 and 1799. Wolhaupter set up a jewellery and clock making shop in St. John and became known as a silversmith. The family moved to Fredericton circa 1811, opened another shop, and 1825 the business was transferred to the oldest son, Benjamin, who was born in 1800.
Benjamin Wolhaupter married Catherine Brannen in 1820. He built a house at 79 Church Street, which was later sold to Bishop Medley and became known as Bishopscote. Wolhaupter served as Magistrate of York County; he was involved in the militia; and served as a Director of the Commercial Bank of New Brunswick. In 1847, he became Sheriff of York County and held that position until his death in 1857. Benjamin and Catherine Wolhaupter left three sons: James, Charles, and George.
James Matther Wolhaupter was born in 1823, became a physician; practiced in Portland, Maine, and died in 1891.
Charles John Wolhaupter was born in 1825, became a teacher; lived in Australia for seven years; returned to New Brunswick and was drowned in 1858.
George Philip Wolhaupter was born in 1827; worked as a clerk in the Surveyor-General's office; and 1854 graduated in engineering from King's College, Fredericton. He served as organist and choir master at Christ Church Cathedral and was known for his collection of wildflowers and his skill in decorating programs for the Cathedral services. In 1858, he married Harriett Amelia Carman. Their son, Benjamin, was born in 1859. When George died in 1860, his wife and son moved to Sarnia, Ontario. Benjamin Wolhaupter possessed great mechanical ability, and ultimately became an engineer who specialized in railroad tracks. He took out 215 patents for inventions, and was a successful manufacturer and businessman. He died in Norwalk, Connecticut, in 1949.