Showing 1869 results

Authority record

Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Library

  • Corporate body
  • 1914-

The Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Library in Woodstock, New Brunswick, was completed in 1914, two years after the work began. The library was named after its beneficiary, Lewis Peter Fisher, a Woodstock attorney, whose will provided for $20, 000 from his estate to be used in the construction of a free public library. The executors of his estate, Allison B. Connell and F.H.J. Dibblee, hired architect, G. Ernest Fairweather and contractor, J. Fred Ryan, to begin construction on the plot of land located at the corner of Chapel and Main St. in Woodstock. The town council and mayor of Woodstock approved construction and the town council of Woodstock passed a resolution stating that they would provide annual funds to assist the governing body of the library and provide for maintenance costs.

In 1914, a library commission was appointed by Allison B. Connell and F.H.J. Dibblee, with Judge John L. Carleton appointed as chairman. The commission’s first meeting was held 28 May 1914. Frank Baird was named secretary and F.H.J. Dibblee, treasurer. Arthur F. Garden was named treasurer at the second meeting after Dibblee resigned. The library commission dissolved in 1916 after Judge John Carleton submitted his resignation.

Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1911-1954

The L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital opened in 1911, replacing the Carleton County Hospital in Woodstock, New Brunswick. When the hospital’s benefactor, Lewis Peter Fisher, died in 1905, he left a building, $10, 000 for capital changes, and a $20, 000 trust fund to cover maintenance costs of a hospital. All these bequests were to be made after his wife Mary’s death. When she died in 1910, the directors of the Carleton County Hospital inherited the Fisher family house. The governing board of the L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital was formed and consisted of four trustees and three other individuals determined by the directors, the warden of Carleton County, and the mayor of Woodstock.

The L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital allowed free admittance of all deserving poor. Renovations were made to the structure including the wiring and plumbing. The first floor contained the business office, men's and women’s wards, kitchen, operating room, and labor and case rooms. The second floor held eleven beds for patients and the third floor was the matron's and nurses’ quarters. In 1913, the hospital purchased its first x-ray equipment and, in 1915, purchased the first wheelchair. In 1926, the hospital purchased the residence of Mrs. T. I. Duncan to use as a nurses’ home. As the years passed, the hospital became inadequate to meet the needs of the people and standards set by the New Brunswick Hospital Act, the Canadian Hospital Association, and other agencies. The L.P. Fisher Memorial Hospital was torn down in 1954 to allow for the construction of a new hospital in Carleton County.

Mapleton Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • 1816 -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

The Mapleton Methodist congregation came into being in 1816 when George Harrison, a layman, began holding regular services in the community. The congregation met in a school house until a new church was erected in 1855-1856. The church was built by Thomas Johnson and dedicated on 15 February 1857.

Mapleton is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. The town was originally known as Maccan Mountain but the name was changed to Mapleton in 1789. Mapleton was part of the Southampton Methodist Circuit and after the union which created The United Church of Canada in 1925, it became part of the Southampton Pastoral Charge. From 1976-2000, Southampton and Mapleton were known as Pioneer Pastoral Charge. In 2002, the churches separated to form individual pastoral charges. Mapleton Pastoral Charge has one preaching point: Mapleton United Church.

Cumberland Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • [1882] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

Cumberland Pastoral Charge is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. Preaching points are at Joggins and River Hebert (Trinity). Other historical locations within the bounds of the pastoral charge included Minudie, Strathcona, and Shulee.

The first Methodists in the area came from Minudie where a Rev. Pike introduced the community to Methodism. It eventually spread to River Hebert where a church was built in 1882. River Hebert was originally part of the Nappan Methodist Circuit but became the head of a circuit in 1886, including the preaching points of Shulee, Sand River, Head of River Hebert, and Joggins. A manse was built in 1900. In 1925, River Hebert Methodist Church united with St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church to become Trinity United Church.

Presbyterianism was introduced to the River Hebert area initially by Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter) missionaries – notably Rev. Alexander Clarke, who held services in River Hebert and Minudie. A Covenanter church was built in River Hebert in the late 1840s. Later, Scots Presbyterianism was brought to the region by Scottish settlers from Pictou County who settled in Minudie. Services were held in River Hebert on a sporadic basis until 1858 when meetings were inaugurated on a more regular basis. The original Covenanter movement did not prevail. The church building erected in 1889 in River Hebert and dedicated on September 22, 1889 may have combined both Scots and Irish streams. This church became known as St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. This pastoral charge also included the preaching points of Maccan, Minudie, and Joggins.

In 1925, all Methodist and Congregational Churches and a majority of Presbyterian Churches were amalgamated to form the United Church of Canada. At this time, Joggins Pastoral Charge included the preaching points of Joggins and Shulee. River Hebert Pastoral Charge consisted of the preaching points of River Hebert (Trinity United), Strathcona, and Minudie. By 1941, Strathcona was no longer listed as a preaching point and River Hebert Pastoral Charge and Joggins Pastoral Charge had amalgamated to form River Hebert-Joggins Pastoral Charge.

Cumberland Pastoral Charge was created in January 1995 with the amalgamation of Immanuel-Brookdale-Leicester Pastoral Charge and River Hebert-Joggins Pastoral Charge. The preaching points in this new pastoral charge were: Joggins, River Hebert, Immanuel (Amherst), Brookdale, Minudie, and Joggins. Minudie was dropped as a preaching point in 1995. In 2009, Brookdale was removed from Cumberland Pastoral Charge and became part of McCully Pastoral Charge and Immanuel (Amherst) became part of Northumberland Pastoral Charge.

Bathurst Pastoral Charge

  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1836] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge. Bathurst Pastoral Charge is comprised of First United Church, Bathurst and South Tetagouche United Church in Gloucester County, New Brunswick.

Rev. Michael Pickles preached his first sermon in Bathurst in August 1930. In 1838, Bathurst and New Bandon Methodist Circuit contained the appointments of Bathurst, Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and “the Capes.” Tetagouche was added around 1841 and its building was constructed in 1861. In 1845, the Bathurst and New Bandon circuit was expanded considerably. The area served not only included Bathurst, Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and Tetagouche, but also Jacquet River, Eel River Dalhousie, Campellton, and Upsalquitch. The circuit, however, after 1853, was confined to the immediate area of Bathurst including Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and Tetagouche.

The Trinity Methodist sanctuary was built in 1832 on Murray Avenue. It was replaced by a new church on the same property in 1875. The old building was dismantled in 1882. A parsonage was built in 1911 and the church was remodeled and enlarged in 1917.

A site for a Methodist church building in South Tetagouche was chosen in 1861. Construction was begun in 1861 and the church finished sometime shortly after. A new church was built in 1883 and the former building was demolished on August 27, 1894. In 1925, the Methodist church in South Tetagouche became South Tetagouche United Church.

In 1925, the Bathurst Methodist Circuit became part of the United Church of Canada. The church in Bathurst became known as Trinity United Church.

St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church began when a group of settlers met in Bathurst in 1829 to apply to the Glasgow Colonial Committee of the Church of Scotland for assistance in obtaining a minister and opening a subscription list to build a church. The building was completed in 1839 and called St. Luke's. In 1840, the Glasgow Colonial Society appointed Rev. George McDonnell to St. Luke’s. A manse was built in 1848 and a new manse was built in 1911.

The church building was destroyed by fire on January 3, 1915. It was replaced by a new building two years later on St. Patrick Street. Messrs Chappell Hunter were the architects.

In 1925, St. Luke's Presbyterian Church, by a large vote, decided in favour of Church Union, thus becoming, along with Trinity Church, part of the United Church of Canada. St. Luke’s United and Trinity United were merged on July 4, 1941 to become First United Church.
Worship services were held in St. Luke’s United while Trinity United became the centre for Sunday School, midweek groups, funerals and other service functions.
Belledune was an appointment of Bathurst Pastoral Charge until 1967. Middle River was a preaching point from 1942 until 1950. Bass River was a preaching point from 1942 to 1964.
In 1944, the Board decided to sell St. Luke’s manse situated on St. Patrick Street. In 1946, the land on which Camp Elm Tree is situated was purchased.
In 1947 the Donald Eddy Memorial Hall was built on a separate site to provide much-needed facilities for education and recreation. It was officially opened on December 1. 1947.

By November 15, 1998, the original church structures were demolished and a new $1.4 million building, attached to the hall, was dedicated as First United Church.

Green, Edison Randall

  • Person
  • 1915 - [198-?]

Edison Green's interests were many and he saved brochures, books, and news clippings on many topics related to life on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, and to things out in the world that affected Grand Manan.

Edison Randall Green was born 4 July 1915 to Chester Green and Minnie Randall Green in L'Etang, New Brunswick. He was the oldest of his four siblings: Bernard, Margaret, Elizabeth, and Winnie. Edison was a self-employed carpenter most of his life. He enlisted on 15 February 1945, at age 29, as a private in the Pictou Highlanders and served in Canada until he was discharged on 22 October 1946. In 1969 he joined the Royal Canadian Legion Branch Number 44 on Grand Manan Island. He was a member for twenty years.

Grand Manan Whale and Research Station

  • Corporate body
  • 1981 -

The Grand Manan Whale & Seabird Research Station is a non-profit private research facility located on the east coast of Canada on Grand Manan Island in the Bay of Fundy. Since 1981, researchers have conducted field studies from June through November, when most of the whales, porpoises, and seabirds are present in the Bay. The remainder of the year is used to process samples, analyze data, write reports, and prepare for the next field season. The managing director lives on the Island year-round. Dr. Gaskin, a professor at the University of Guelph and the executive director of the station from 1981 to 1998, died on 13 September 1998 and was replaced by Laurie Murison .

Source: The web site of Grand Manan Whale and Seabird Research Station: http://www.gmwsrs.info/

Newton Store

  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1897 - 1954]

Clarence Newton (1878-1945) and his brother Frank Newton (1869-1954) operated a general store in Grand Harbour on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, from 1897 or earlier until at least 1954. In 2002, the store still exists in the building used by Frank Newton in the 1950s. Although it is still referred to as "The Newton Store," it is no longer operated by the family. It is not known whether this building is the same one used by Clarence Newton in 1897.

Grand Manan Rotary Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1980-1997

This collection was created by Gleneta Hettrick, a former archivist of the Grand Manan Archives, to document the history of a local service club. The Rotary Club of Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick was organized in the fall of 1979 under the leadership of their first president, the late Lloyd Ingalls, sponsored by the Rotary Club of St. Stephen-Milltown. It was officially chartered on 12 April 1980. It is a part of District 7810, which includes all of New Brunswick and Bonaventure County, Quebec, in Canada, and Aroostock and Washington counties in Maine, U.S.A. It is the only active service club on Grand Manan.

Since its beginning the club has been a primary initiator of many community service projects as well as a provider of ongoing support for both District and Rotary International programs. The club funds its many commitments through annual auction, fundraising events at the Rotary Festival, community barbecues, donations and bequests, plus special raffles and financial drives for specific projects. The club meets for breakfast on Thursday at 7:00 a.m. at Anglican Church Hall in Grand Harbour. Visiting Rotarians are welcome.

Results 1831 to 1840 of 1869