Showing 1869 results

Authority record

Chipman Hill Memorial Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1902-1950

The second wife of Sir Leonard Tilley was Alice Starr Chipman, daughter of Zachariah Chipman, a prominent shipowner and merchant of St Stephen, NB. When her father died, she wrote to her brother and two sisters, who were co-heirs in his property, and out-lined her plan to use the old homestead as a hospital, and they agreed.
At the time, there were not sufficient facilities in Charlotte County to care for the sick. Those who were ill had to go away for hospital treatment in Saint John. Lady Tilley believed that adequate medical care ought to be obtained closer at hand, and what more fitting memorial to her parents’ memory than a hospital in the home where they had lived long, useful lives. So ‘Cedars’ became known as the Chipman Memorial Hospital. However, there was much to be done before the hospital could be properly outfitted and rendered self-supporting. In 1902, after Lady Tilley solicited support from other members of the community, the hospital was equipped with twenty beds and was ready to take in patients. Annual grants from the county and the endowment of beds from various sources helped with the upkeep and maintenance. As the number of patients increased new wings were added to the building. The first one was erected in memory of one of Lady Tilly’s sisters by the latter's husband, Mr Owen Jones. Another wing was built but soon cots where placed in corridors. Eventually Charlotte County Hospital was built to replace the Chipman Memorial Hospital.

Prince Arthur School

  • Corporate body
  • 1929-1962

The history of education in St. Andrews, New Brunswick began shortly after the history of the town itself, which was settled by the Penobscot Loyalists around about 1783.
The earliest school were established by Anglican societies before the 1800 under the auspices of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts.
Mr. Samuel J Andrews, son of the rector, was appointed in 1787 to teach in St. Andrews. He was replaced in 1791 by James Berry who had been teaching in Campobello in 1790. An Ebenesser Hugbee is mentioned at having moved from St. Stephen to become schoolmaster and catechist at St. Andrews. In 1818 Albert Robison was school master and in 1823 George Millar was the school master.
These early S.P.G Schools were established to teach writing, elementary arithmetic, instructions emphasing religious purposes, reading. A license from the Lord Bishop of London was required for schoolmasters coming to New Brunswick from the Mother Country to teach in schools fostered by the Society for the Propagation of the Gopsel.

New England Society Indian School at the close of the American Revolution for the society (for the Propagation of the Gospel in New England and the Parts Adjacent) concentrated on the redemption of the Indians of New Brunswick from Roman Cathelocish, migratory habits and illiteracy. The recent trials of the Loyalists might have been expected to arouse their pity for the plight of the Indians upon whose hunting grounds they were encroaching. When this consideration was added the willingness of the Society to spend money on the Indian Schools in New Brunswick, thereby adding a number of administrative jobs for several prominent members of the official class, a scheme for the improvement and education of the Indians appeared in the light of a duty and an opportunity. Such a school was established in St. Andrews but the venture apparently met with little success and was unpopular with the Indians. These schools were abolished in the province in 1794.

The Parish Schools act of 1802 marked the beginning of the public school system of New Brunswick. The act granted ten pounds to each parish for the purpose of encouraging and assisting the schools in several parishes. Such schools were established in the parish and of St. Andrews.
The Abstract of Returns of the Inspection of Grammar and Parochial schools of New Brunswick 1844-1845” lists twelve teachers in St. Andrews parish schools with six hundred and five boys and girls on the rolls, only two hundred and ninety one of whom were present on the day of the inspection.

Madras School existing concurrently with the parish schools was a “Madras School” under the auspices of the National Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church. The first Madras School in Charlotte County was in St. Andrews in 1820 and under the supervision of the Rev. James Alley, in 1823 George Millar took over as master and his wife opened a girls department. In July 1824 the Madras School had twenty four children attending and it is believed to have been located on William Street St. Andrews.

Moving schools in 1805 “An Act for Encouraging the Extending Literature in the Prinvice” resulted in the establishment of the so called “Moving Schools” which were to travel from parish to parish within each county spending six months in each. An entry in the Journal of Court of General Sessions of the Peace for April 13, 1805, records the drawing of lots among the parishes of Charlotte County to see which would get the appropriation first. St. Stephen and St. Andrews won the draw. St. Andrews to establish and keep its school for six months in the upper part of the parish.

Private Schools many were established James Berry kept a school in his home for the instruction of boys for this he charged ten shillings per quarter for older students and eight shillings per quarter for the younger students. Also a man by the name of McCartney is recorded as having held classes for which he received in addition to the fees, one cord of firewood from the families of each student.

The wife of Charles Joseph Briscoe was also rumored to have kept a private school after her husband’s death. A Miss Spriggott is reported to have held a young ladies school in here home on Water Street. She taught reading, writing and needlework. A Polly Wiggins held a private school in her home. A school for Roman Catholic children was held on King Street near the home of Mr. Frank Grimmer and around 1872 a school (public) was held in the Wallace MacLean house.
Miss Alice Stinson was engaged in a similar enterprise at the small building that was situated at the corner of Water and Ernest Street. It was later moved to the rear of the seaside Inn.
The fee charged in this school and others seem to be a penny a week hence the name ‘Penny Schools by which they were known.

St. Andrews Grammar School was opened in 1819 with the Rev. John Cassilis, a Presbyterian Minister as the Master, it was situated on the corner of King and Carleton Street.

Charlotte Grammar School after the Schools act of 1971 was passed the St. Andrews Grammar School became a free secondary school for Charlotte County. The Charlotte Grammar School existed until 1951, the original building was replaced in 1912.

Prince Arthur School in 1912 all the school of St. Andrews were housed in a new concrete building. The old Grammar School building was sold for $155.00 and moved to a location on Water Street to be used as a storage shed for coal. It was destroyed by fire in 1930. The institution known as the Charlotte Grammar School continued to exist within the Prince Arthur School complex.

In 1951 an era of Charlotte County educational history came to an unnoticed end when on December 19th, the Board of school Trustees applied to the Department of Education for relinquishment of the Grammar School in favor of a Town High School.

During the early 1950’s serious overcrowding in the Prince Arthur School forced consideration of the building of a new high school. The Vincent Massey School opened in 1956.

Good Hope Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1918-2001

A party of Ladies of Dufferin met at the home of Mrs. Wellington Thompson on November 5, 1918. There were nine ladies present and they organized a club to be named as the “Good Hope Club” with the hope to build a hall in the future. Mrs. Thompson was elected as president and Mrs. Moody was the secretary-treasurer. It was agreed that each member would pay ten cents each at the monthly meetings, and if not present would send the money or pay at the next meeting. The hostess would provide a lunch and music and games.

The second meeting was at the home of Mrs. Clifford Homes, thirteen ladies where present. By the third meeting they had invited men to be members increasing the attendance to twenty four. On May 2, 1918 the meeting was held in the school house. They raised money with ice cream sales, suppers at Oak Bay and dances at the Golf Club owned by Alan Halstead. Mr. and Mrs. Harry Brown donated the land and the Good Hope Club was incorporated on Oct 2 1922. The Hall was built on the Ledge Road, Dufferin, and John R. McBride was in charge of the construction and a number of members assisted.

The Good Hope Club Hall burnt down on November 3, 1950. A Special Meeting was held on November 13, 1950 at the home of the then president of the club Mrs. Liscomb Cook. It was decided that monthly meetings would be held at various member’s homes, throughout the winter. On January 8, 1951 a separate hall building committee was formed to rebuild on the same land. On May 15, 1951 a meeting was held in the school house and Carl Wormell was authorized to take charge of getting a bulldozer to clear the lot and dig a concrete basement. Ivan Jackson arrived with the bulldozer on May 22, 1951 and on May 25, 1951 Prescott Smith of Oak Bay began supervising the construction of the new building. George Develin supplied the cement mixers and most of the workers where volunteers.

The new hall opened on August 29, 1951 and a bean supper was served to one hundred people for a fee of seventy five cents for adults and thirty cents for children. A second supper was served on September 26, 1951. By the 1970s the club was disbanded as most of its original members had died and there was a lack of interest.

St. Stephen Fire Department

  • Corporate body
  • 1927-1976

The Town of St. Stephen Fire Department was established in 1873 as the Wellington Hose Company and remained under this name until the middle of the 1950’s.

The Fire Department has an automatic aid agreement with the Calais Fire Department of Calais, Maine USA.

St. Stephen Fire Department operates a dispatch centre for 15 other fire departments in the Charlotte County Area. The St Stephen Fire Department has a unique feature that two volunteers and one full time firefighter are in the fire station each night. It operates with Three Fire Engines. One Rescue unit, Five Full time Fire Fighters and twenty four Volunteers.

The St. Andrews Bay Pilot

  • Corporate body

This newspaper was found while sorting files for Business Improvement Association, St. Andrews.

Gundry-Pymore Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1665

The Gundry-Pymore Limited of North Head Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick was abusiness for mending the nets of fishermen. The secretary who kept the book was Marie Thomas, who kept the books for many companies on Grand Manan. The Gundry-Pymore company had many divisions of which this branch was one.

The business of Joseph Gundry was established in 1665. There were many firms producing net products that partnered with the Grundy firm through the years. Finally in 1963, the remaning independent firm Joseph Gundry and Co. Ltd., united with Bridport Industries Ltd. to form Bridport-Gundry Ltd.

Royal Commission on the State of Grand Manan, New Brunswick

  • Corporate body
  • 1931-1936

The Honourable House of Assembly, for the Province of New Brunswick, appointed six men to procure information reprecting the Herring Fishery at Grand Manan and to ascertain the effect produced on it by the Acts of 1831 & 1834. Those men were: John Allen (Secretary), Laughlan Donaldson, Thomas Barlow, John Ward Junior, James Brown, and Thomas Wyer. They produced findings of the Commission in 1836.

Huntsman Mawson, Elinor

  • Person
  • 1910-2006

Elinor Huntsman Mawson was born 2 February 1910, her mother was Florence Marie Stirling (known as Mary) and her father was Archibald Gowanlock Huntsman. She grew up in Toronto, her father was a Professor in the Zoology Dept. of the University of Toronto, and during the summer months they relocated to St Andrews, because her father was the director of the biological research station. Elinor graduated from Havergal College and the University of Toronto where she received a first class BA honours degree in 1931. During her undergraduate studies she had classes with Dr Charles Best, and he supervised her for her post-graduate studies. She earned an MA in bio-chemistry in 1932. And during her research for her PhD, Dr Best recommended that she should go to England, to tour laboratories and to meet other scientists. She spent the next three years crossing the Atlantic several times, for this purpose. She met her future husband Colin Mawson at Manchester University. She earned her PhD in physiology in 1935. She returned to England on the 3 June 1935 with her mother and met up with her father who was travelling in Europe at the time and she married Colin Mawson on 6 June 1935. After their marriage she worked at the Royal Cancer Hospital Research Institute, London. They moved to Reading when Colin was appointed the Biochemist at the Royal Berkshire Hospital. During the war, Elinor did research on mother’s milk at the National Institute for Research on Dairying, at Reading University. She was a founding member of the Nutrition Society of Great Britain.
In 1949 Colin and Elinor and their daughter Beatrice returned to Canada, to Deep River, where they lived until 1974. Elinor did not work at the Chalk River Nuclear Laboratory, because the AECL did not employ women professionals in the 1950s and early 60s. So Elinor plunged herself into a host of community activities. She was editor of the North Renfrew Times, a member of the Deep River library board, of the Deep River school board, and of the Deep River community association. In 1973 they moved to St Andrews for the summers and to Ottawa for the winters. Elinor joined the Charlotte County Historical Society and in 1977 became its archivist, a position she held for 15 years. In 1994, Colin and Elinor moved to a nursing home in Thornhill, Ontario to be closer to their daughter Beatrice. However, Beatrice died in March 1977 and Elinor died in 2006. Colin Mawson today lives in a nursing home in Toronto, and his nephew Colin Kenning Marchant looks after his well being.

Allaby, Eric

  • Person
  • 1943-

Eric Allaby was born August 7, 1943, on Grand Manan Island, he graduated from Grand Manan High School and Acadia University (B.Sc., 1964). He became a teacher and worked as a diver. A Ford Foundation fellowship enabled him to research maritime history in North America and England. He was an underwater archaeologist with the National Museums of Canada (1973- 1976) and a founding member of the North American Society for Oceanic History. He has written several books and articles on marine history, including Shipbuilding in the Maritime Provinces, The August Gale, two Grand Manan Historians on shipwrecks around Grand Manan Island, and Grand Manan. He is a marine artist and has exhibited his work around the province. First elected October 13, 1987, as the Liberal MLA for Charlotte-Fundy, he was on numerous committees. Re-elected September 23, 1991, and again in September 11, 1995, for the new riding of Fundy Isles. He chaired the government caucus (1997-1999). He was re-elected June 7, 1999, and served on several committees, and as Opposition House Leader. He was re-elected for a fifth term June 9, 2003. His riding of Fundy Isles was merged with the riding of fellow Liberal Rick Doucet to form Charlotte - The Isles in the 2006 redistribution of boundaries. As a result, Allaby chose not to seek re-election in the 2006 election. In 2007, he was named to the board of directors for the New Brunswick Provincial Capital Commission. Eric Allaby and his wife Berneta reside in Grand Manan, N.B. They have a son and a daughter.
Eric was the curator at the Grand Manan Museum and many of his sketches describing underwater archaeology around the Grand Manan Archipelago are on permanent display. This map shows Eric's love for sharing his knowledge with others and he has published many maps describing Grand Manan and her history.
Source: Biographies of Members, Legislative Assembly, New Brunswick, 55th Legislature, 2004.
Source: Wikipedia

Results 1811 to 1820 of 1869