Affichage de 1564 résultats

Notice d'autorité

William Fruing Company (Gloucester County)

  • Collectivité
  • Established ca. 1831, declared bankruptcy in 1917

During the second half of the eighteenth century, Charles Robin and William Fruing, both natives of Jersey in the Channel Islands (Great Britain), established separate businesses as fish merchants on the Baie des Chaleurs in New Brunswick. They were not themselves fishermen but traded with the Acadians who had come to the area after the expulsion in 1755. These Acadians had turned from the farming they had pursued in their former homes to make a living as fishermen.

William Fruing Company was less important than the Robin Company but was active in north-eastern New Brunswick. Fruing first came as a manager for the Charles Robin Company. He also worked for Peter John Duval who had a small office in Miscou, Gloucester County. After gaining experience in the field he decided to start his own business. In 1831 he built his first establishment at Shippagan at a place commonly called Pointe Alexandre. Although the dates are vague, it is known that he set up many small offices in the north-eastern part of the province at around this date, in Lameque, Tracadie, New Bandon, Grand Anse and Caraquet.

In 1917, the William Fruing Company declared bankruptcy with an inventory valued at $43,325.25. Technological change and the state of the world economy seem to have been the reasons for the decline. The company was sold for $20,000 to Robin, Jones and Whitman Company, which continued to operate the business in Lameque until 1957 when the establishments in both Caraquet and Lameque were closed.

William Hawker & Sons (firm)

  • Collectivité
  • Founded in 1920.

William Hawker (1840-1937), druggist in Saint John, New Brunswick, was born in Little Barrington near Burford, Oxfordshire, England, the son of Samuel Hawker (b. before 1814) and Mary Anne Townsend (b.ca. 1816). He was taken out of the village school before the age of 10 as he was self-willed and would not study. After several unsuccessful attempts to acquire a trade, William joined the army at age 17. He flourished in the army and was promoted very rapidly. William took a course in medicine, became a hospital sergeant and dispenser and was given charge of hospitals in Ireland and later in Saint John and Fredericton, New Brunswick.

He met his wife, Loveday Thomasine (or Thomasine Loveday) Dale (1845-1921) in Saint John. She had been born in Cornwall, England the daughter of Henry and Alice Day and died in Saint John. They had the following children: Samuel Hawker; Elizabeth (b.1868); Ethel; Mary Alice, (b. 1864); Joseph (b. 1872 or 1873); Mabel; and William C.

Their sons were all involved in the drugstore business. Samuel married Clara A. Mills in 1888 and had his own drugstore in Portland which burned in December 1919. Samuel managed W. Hawher & Sons from 1920 onward. Joseph, fluent in languages, assisted sea captains from abroad in replenishing their medicine chests when they came into W.Hawker & Sons. He had originally enrolled in medicine in Montreal but had to drop out when he became ill with rheumatoid arthritis. Joseph died in his 50s. William C. owned a drugstore in Maine, U.S.A. and divided his time between Maine and Saint John until the late 1920s when he returned permanently to Saint John to work in W. Hawker & Sons. It is believed he married a woman who was born in Maine.

Two years after his marriage, William Hawker retired from the army to take charge of the new hospital under construction in Saint John. The construction was delayed, so William took a clerkship with R.D. McArthur, a druggist who had opened a branch on Prince William Street in 1866 with Hawker in charge . By the time the hospital was completed, Hawker was no longer interested in the job, as he was doing well in the drug business. Instead he purchased the Prince William Street branch. William Hawker was a genius at compounding medicines and invented a croup syrup which was later sold widely by the Canadian Drug Company. He did not take out patents on the products of the Hawker Medicine Company which included: Tolu and Wild Cherry Balsam; Nerve and Stomach Tonic; liver pills; cures for catarrh and piles; and Dr. Mannings German Rheumatic and Neuralgia Cure.

William Hawker was burned out during the Great Fire of Saint John in 1877, losing the business with complete stock as well as the home and personal possessions. He was on his feet again quickly at a new location in Portland but moved the business back to Prince William Street 3 years later where he remained for many years. After he began manufacturing his remedies, William moved the business to larger premises. Adjacent to the drugstore, William Hawker set up an ice cream parlour and soda fountain selling prize-winning ice cream. W. Hawker & Sons was formally incorporated in 1920. William retired from active work in 1926 but remained as president of the company with his sons assuming other executive positions. The incorporation of the company was cancelled in 1955.

William and Samuel were both founding members of the New Brunswick Pharmaceutical Society and William served on Council of the organization for at least two years and as secretary for 1905-06. He and one of his sons, most likely Samuel, were instrumental in getting legislation enacted to standardize education for pharmacy students across Canada and ensure the diploma of pharmacy was acceptable across the country without additional examinations for individual provinces

William Lewis

  • Personne
  • 1924-1946

William Lewis was born 05 February, 1924. He enlisted at the age of 19 and served with the 8th New Brunswick Hussars until 1946. He served with the Regiment in Italy and North West Europe. After the work he worked as a janitor at the North Sidney Post Office.

William Wilson Burnett

  • Personne
  • 1939-1945

HCapt Padre William Burnett served as the regimental padre to the 5th Armoured Regiment (8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars), during most of the Second World War. On 1 September 1944, Captain Burnett was leading a burial party in a Honey tank during action near the Foglia River. He provided whatever assistance he could to the wounded, all the while working under heavy enemy shelling. He was burying the dead when a shell struck his tank. Padre Burnett refused medical treatment, despite having shrapnel lodged in his abdominal cavity and having half his hand blown off, until his men were taken care off. For his devotion to the well-being of his troops, he was awarded the Military Cross.

Williams, Bert

  • Personne
  • b. ca. 1900

Bert Williams was born in England about 1900. In January 1914, about age 13, he left school and took a job as an errand boy for the family butcher. During wartime, he worked long hours at a number of different jobs, including in several cinemas.

About 1918 Williams joined the Bolton Lads Club and the Workers' Educational Society. One of the educational society's primary objectives was to interest members of the working-class in various subjects, one being a play-reading group which presented amateur productions.

By 1949 Williams had married Florence Chadwick, and the couple had emigrated to become branch manager of Manchester, Robertson and Allison Ltd.'s new store located in Fredericton, NB. While in Fredericton, Williams became involved with the University of New Brunswick Drama Society, the Fredericton Players Guild, and the Provincial Drama Festival.

Eventually, Bert and Florence moved to Victoria, British Columbia where Bert became involved with the Victoria Theatre Guild. Over the years his work in the theatre included that of an actor, director, and stage hand. In June 1979 Bert Williams made his last public appearance on stage in the McPherson Theatre, Victoria.

Source: Williams, Bert, Beginners Please, My Life in Amateur Theatre

Source:
Bert Williams

Williamson, Eddie

  • Personne
  • fl. 20th century

Eddie Williamson was one of six sons born to Billy Williamson and his Scottish wife. Eddie grew up in St. Andrew, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, and worked there all his life. Eddie Wiliamson bought Beacon Press from Dr. Wallace Broad and both brothers worked at the Press for many years.

Williamson, Kitty

  • Personne
  • fl. 20th century

Kitty Williamson, a Dutch war bride, married Walter Williamson, in 1945, and arrived in Halifax along with 3,000 other brides in 1946.

Williamson, Walter

  • Personne
  • fl. 20th c.

Walter Williamson was one of six sons born to Billy Williamson and his Scottish wife. Walter Williamson grew up in St. Andrew, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, and worked there all his life. Eddie Wiliamson bought Beacon Press from Dr. Wallace Broad and both brothers worked at the Press for many years.

During World War II, Walter Williamson served overseas. He married Kitty in Holland and brought her to Canada as a war bride in 1946.

Williston, Kathleen Willis

  • Personne
  • 1896-1969

Kathleen Willis (Kell Willis) (1896-1969) the daughter of Charles and Louise Willis, was born in Sackville, New Brunswick, December 4, 1896. She lived in Sackville until 1921 when she married Beaumont Williston, a Newcastle businessman, and moved to the Miramichi. There she researched the history of the area, much of it with Dr. Louise Manny, with whom she co-founded the Miramichi Historical Association.

Kathleen Williston was also interested in Miramichi artists. In conjunction with the Miramichi Art Club, she helped arrange the art exhibits sent to the Miramichi by the National Gallery and organized the first exhibitions of Richard Howe's paintings. From her own collection, she gave portraits of William Abrams (an early shipbuilder at Nordin) and his wife, painted by a noted Boston artist, Albert Gallatin Hoit, to the New Brunswick Museum. Williston was also interested in antiques and amassed a notable collection. During World War II, she worked with the Red Cross Thrift Shop. Kell Williston died in 1969.

Résultats 1501 à 1510 sur 1564