Showing 187 results

Authority record
Family

Abner Smith family (Sackville)

  • Family
  • 1793-1914

James Smith was born in MacDuff, Scotland on 18 March 1793 and died in Sackville, New Brunswick on 16 August, 1865. He and his wife, Abigail [b. 1803], had three sons: Alexander [b. 1832], Abner [b. 1836], and Frederick.[b. 1844].

During the first half of the 19th century, James Smith and James Ayer manufactured harnesses, boots, and shoes in Middle Sackville. At this time, W. C. E. Hamilton (known as “Big Hamilton”) built up a large tannery business. They were succeeded by James R. Ayer, and brothers Abner Smith and Alexander Smith and their establishments were purchased by the “Standard” Company organized by A. E. Wry, later renamed A. E. Wry - Standard, Ltd. Dates regarding the amalgamation of these enterprises have not been determined.

In 1895 James Ayer built the Standard Manufacturing Company’s general store on 332 Main Street in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. In 1914 the shareholders of the Standard Manufacturing Company and A. E. Wry Limited, the two main branches of this industry, combined their efforts to form A.E Wry – Standard Ltd. This company was the largest of its kind in Canada, carrying out under one management the manufacturing of boots and shoes, moccasins and shoepacks, harnesses of all types, and the tanning of various types of leather. They were also jobbers of saddlery, hardware, leather, Saskatchewan robes and coats, sheep skin coats, trunks, bags, etc. In 1939 the general store was purchased by the J. L .Black Company. The date that the A.E Wry – Standard Ltd. Company officially closed its doors has not been determined.

Allen family (Port Elgin)

  • Family
  • 1841-1969

The Allen family were pioneers in the area of Port Elgin, New Brunswick. The family's presence in New Brunswick began with the arrival of Rev. Thomas Allen (1841-1936) from Leicestershire, England. He was the son of John and Mary (Cooke) Allen. He was ordained as a Methodist clergyman circa 1866 and he came to Canada by 1870 to minister to various congregations in New Brunswick into the early twentieth century. He was married to Mary Eliza Bishop (1845-1932) on 7 July 1870 in Sandy Cove, Digby County, Nova Scotia. She was the daughter of Edward Bishop and Rachel (Warrington) Bishop. The couple had the following children: George B. (1871-1874); William C. (1872-1898); Mary Edith (1874-1966), a teacher; Thomas Jackson (1876-1959); Frances "Fannie" Seymour (1878-1968), wife of noted Canadian novelist and poet, Theodore Goodridge Roberts (1877-1953); Ada E. (1881-1967) and Bertha (1883-1969). Most members of the family are buried in the Gray Island Cemetery in Hillsborough, New Brunswick.

Anderson family (Sackville, N.B.)

  • Family
  • Branch begins before the 1770s

Albert Anderson is a descendant of Thomas Anderson, Sr., who emigrated to the Sackville, New Brunswick, area from Yorkshire, England, in the 1770s.

Anderson family (descandants of Thomas Sr.)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1745

The Anderson family were descendants of Thomas Sr. (1745-1841) and Mary Anderson, who emigrated to Sackville, New Brunswick, from Yorkshire, England, in the early 1770s. Settling at Cole’s Island, situated on the Tantramar Marsh near Sackville, the first two generations engaged in farming. Titus Anderson, grandson of Thomas Sr., became a master mariner, the first of many seafaring men in the Anderson family of Sackville.

Anderson family Genealogy (Sackville)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in ca. 1745

Collection contains material concerning the Anderson family, founding pioneers of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, including genealogical information for the Anderson’s of Sackville, New Brunswick, identifying the branch that migrated west before the mid 1870s. This consist of: "The Hardscrabble Andersons", by Mary Augusta, n.d. (after 1986); "Two White Oxen, a perspective of early Saskatoon, 1874-1905", from the memoirs of Barbara (Hunter) Anderson, compiled and edited by George W. Anderson and Robert N. Anderson, revised edition 1993; genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas Anderson (1745-1841); genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas R. Anderson (1745-1841), with family connections with Seaman, Crabtree, Pidge, and Tingley; and genealogical chart of the descendants of William George Anderson of Saskatoon, b. 1898.

Ashburnham family (Fredericton)

  • MS75
  • Family
  • 1855-1938

Thomas Ashburnham, born 8 Apr 1855, was the youngest son of Lord Ashburnham who was head of one of England’s oldest families. Ashburnham served in the 7th (Queen’s Own) Hussars, a cavalry regiment, earning a lieutenant’s commission at age 26 while serving with the 7th Hussars in South Africa. Upon returning to England he was made a captain in the Expeditionary Force which was sent to suppress the Egyptian Rebellion in 1882. In 1885-86, Ashburnham was in Ireland serving as an aide de camp, then on to India from 1886 – 90 where much of his time was spent as member of big game expeditions. After his army career he came to Fredericton where he met Maria “Rye” Anderson and they married in 1903. Rye was born 25 Nov 1858 in Fredericton and was the d/o William and Lucy Ann Anderson.They purchased two buildings on Brunswick St., #’s 163 & 165, which they had joined by a glassed-in conservatory forming a ‘porte cortiere’ and providing access to lawns and gardens in the rear of the property. Unexpectedly in 1913 he became the 6th Earl of Ashburnham with the death of his last surviving brother, who was childless. They took up residency in England but in 1914 returned to Fredericton as Lady Ashburnham was unhappy, not being accepted by the family, and with the impending World War. Once again here they became the centre of the ‘elite social life’. Lord Ashburnham divided his time between Fredericton and England until his death in 1924 and Lady Ashburnham lived in Fredericton until her death in 1938.

Baden-Powell, Lord & Lady

  • Family
  • 1857 - 1977

Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell (Lord Baden-Powell)
Robert, later known affectionately as B-P, was born in London, England, on February 22, 1857. After leaving school Robert entered the British Army as an officer, serving in India, Afghanistan and South Africa. During the Boer War, B-P, in charge of a small detachment of mounted men, was besieged in the town of Mafeking. This situation appealed to the British public and when Mafeking was relieved after 217 days, B-P was proclaimed a hero. While in Mafeking, one of B-P's officers organized the boys in the town into a messenger service to help the soldiers called the Mafeking Cadet Corps. B-P was quick to see the possibilities in this and the idea of the Boy Scouts was born in his mind. B-P's last assignment in South Africa was to organize a local police force. Their uniform was the model for the original Boy Scout uniform. He wrote a small manual on scouting, army style for the police force. On his return to Britain, B-P became Inspector General of Cavalry and travelled widely in the line of duty. He found that his scouting manual was being used by the Boys' Brigade. After inspecting the boys and talking with their leader, he agreed to adapt his book for them. However, because of his concern about the lack of “spirit” in British boys, particularly in those without the advantages of a good education, he decided instead to form a new organization, the Boy Scouts. He felt what was needed was a scheme of character training for boys. To promote his scheme he wrote a series of articles, of the popular serial type, for a weekly boys' magazine. He later published these as a book Scouting for Boys. His serial stories were read eagerly all over Britain, and boys were forming themselves into Scout patrols by the time the book was published. B-P, now 50 years old, resigned his commission in the Army and devoted all his time to Scouting, travelling widely to organize troops and to train leaders. In 1909, all Scouts who could get there were invited to a rally at the Crystal Palace in London. The parade numbered in the thousands of boys and, to the surprise of everyone, some girls as well! They too had been reading the scouting stories. They had registered themselves as Scouts with Scout Headquarters and had obtained uniform items by using only their initials and not their first names. They demanded to be allowed to join the new organization. B-P, a bachelor with the traditional views of women's roles that were common at the time, asked his sister Agnes to help him organize a new movement, which he called Girl Guides. In January 1912, B-P set off for the West Indies starting an extended trip to promote Scouting in the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. On board he met Mr. Harold Soames and his daughter Olave, who were going to spend a winter holiday in Jamaica. Olave and Robert found they had much in common, including the same birthdays, although born 32 years apart. By the time the ship reached Jamaica, they were unofficially engaged and were married later that year, on October 30th. In 1918 B-P wrote Girl Guiding, a program book for girls from eight to 18. B-P died January 8, 1941.

Olave St. Clair Soames (Olave, Lady Baden-Powell)
The youngest child of Harold and Katharine Soames, Olave was born February 22, 1889, near Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England. When Olave was old enough, she began to accompany her father on his winter holidays. It was on the way to Jamaica with him that she met the “Scout man,” General Baden-Powell. Although there was a great difference in their ages - 32 years, they fell in love. B-P continued with his tour for Scouting and Olave returned to England with her father when the holiday was over. Olave and her “Robin” had a quiet wedding in Dorset, October 30, 1912. In December there was a large wedding reception for them in London. Olave was, of course, interested in her husband's Scouting activities and soon became involved in Girl Guides. In 1916 she was appointed County Commissioner for Sussex and two years later became Chief Guide for Britain. In 1920 Olave helped form an International Council which grew and developed as Guiding grew, and eventually became the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. She died on June 25, 1977.

Bailey family (Fredericton)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1811

Jacob Whitman Bailey, the son of Jane Whitman and Isaac Bailey, was born in 1811, probably at Providence, Rhode Island. At age 12, family finances forced him to find employment with a local bookseller. By 1828 he enrolled in the United States Military Academy at West Point. He later taught chemistry, mineralogy, and geology there, being a recognized authority on the diatom and infusoria. He married Maria Slaughter, and they had four children: Maria Whitman (1836-1852), Samuel Slaughter (1838-1860), Loring Woart (1839-1925), and William Whitman (1843-1914). J. W. Bailey died on 27 February 1857.

His son Loring Woart Bailey studied at Harvard University and later did graduate work in chemistry at both Brown and Harvard universities. In 1861 L.W. Bailey moved to Fredericton where he became chair of Chemistry and Natural Science at the University of New Brunswick, holding that post until his death in 1925. While at UNB he also taught physics, zoology, physiology, botany, and geology.

In summer, Loring Woart Bailey did field survey work for the Geological Survey of New Brunswick, and later for the Geological Survey of Canada, working in Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Maine. Retiring from UNB in 1907, he concentrated on the study of diatoms and worked with the Marine Biological Station at St. Andrews, N.B. Bailey published numerous scientific articles and books. He served as president of the Natural History Society for several years, and was a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada, contributing numerous papers to its distinguished journal. Professor Bailey and John Babbitt have been credited with making Fredericton’s first telephone, which connected the Bailey home, “Sunnyside,” at 329-331 University Avenue, with the Babbitt house.

In 1863 L. W. Bailey married Laurestine Marie de Brett (1841-1938), the daughter of Margaret Emma Glenn and Joseph Marshall d’Avray, who was professor of Modern Languages at UNB and of its predecessor, King’s College. They had several children, including Joseph Whitman (1865-1932), Loring Woart, Jr. (1868-1943), and George Whitman (1879-1936). Son Joseph practiced law in Boston, compiled genealogies, and also published travel books and biographies. Loring Woart, Jr., worked for the Bank of British North America in Québec. George was a physician and served as medical inspector of schools in Fredericton.

Educator, poet, anthropologist, and administrator Alfred Goldsworthy Bailey, the son Ernestine Valiant Gale and Loring Woart Bailey, Jr., was born in Québec in 1905. He received a B.A. from UNB (1927) and an M.A. (1929) and Ph.D. (1934) from the University of Toronto. In 1934 he enrolled in the School of Economics and Political Science (London) and then studied British and continental museum administration under a Carnegie grant. He married Jean Craig Hamilton (d. 1998); they had no children.

Dr. Bailey had a long and distinguished academic and administrative career. He was employed as assistant director and associate curator at the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John before becoming the first chair of History at UNB (1938-1969). He also served as dean of arts (1946-1964), vice-president academic (1965-1964), and as honorary librarian and chief executive officer of the Bonar Law-Bennett Library (1946-1959), where he worked closely with Lord Beaverbrook. He was also instrument in founding the Bliss Carman Society (1940) and The Fiddlehead (1945). Alfred G. Bailey published several books of poetry, as well as academic books and articles on aspects of history and anthropology. He died at Fredericton on 21 April 1997.

Bailey family (Saint John)

  • Family
  • Branch begins before 1820

John and William Bailey were the sons of William S. and Elizabeth Bailey were were married in New Brunswick in 1820. The father was a shoemaker by trade and died in 1838 at the age of 46, due to complications from his injuries from a scaffolding accident. He was survived by his wife and children.

John Bailey was a merchant in Saint John in 1849. He apparently specialized in flour of several types and cornmeal as he regularly received shipments by sea from Philadelphia and New York. In October 1849, John made what appears to be a sudden decision to leave for California, probably to join the Gold Rush. He signed over power of attorney to settle his business to his brother, William, a printer in Saint John. Several lots of land were also signed over to William. John Bailey died on 13 June 1860 at his residence on Orange Street. His death was listed as inflammation of the lungs.

William S. Bailey was apprenticed to Henry Sancton, a printer in Saint John in 1839 for a period of 5 years by his mother and guardian Elizabeth Bailey. As part of his apprenticeship, William worked in Saint John on the "Herald", a Henry Sancton publication in 1844 and in Fredericton, at the "Reporter" [184?]. He married Mary Elizabeth Williams in 1846 and they had 10 children, Margaret, Isabell, William, Rachael, Jane L., Lora E., Louisa, Maud, Charlotte, and Emily. During his career as a printer, William appears to have collaborated with a prominent Saint John printer, George W. Day, on occasion. Bailey is listed as a co-publisher of the "Saint John Mail", published 1847-1848.

Sources: "McAlpines Saint John City Directory," 1863-1864; Census 1851, 1861, 1871; Harper, J. Russell, Historical Directory of New Brunswick Newspapers and Periodicals

Bailey family (UNB)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in late 18th or early 19th century

Little is known of Joseph Head Marshall because he burned most of his confidential papers, and other "very important" papers were destroyed by his son's widow. He corresponded with Edward Jenner and apparently introduced vaccination to British sailors and civilians in Mediterranean countries prior to 1801. According to great-grandson Joseph Whitman Bailey, he worked as a secret courier in 1815 between Murat, Fouche, Napoleon, and the British, promoting the restoration of the house of Bourbon.

Later Marshall worked as a British secret agent, and his second wife Elizabeth Golding Elrington (1791-1847), the mother of 12 of his children, was allegedly also a secret agent or spy. Marshall was given the title Baron d'Avray despite the fact there was already a titled d'Avray family. His eldest son Joseph de Brett (1811-1871) lost his fortune and called himself simply Joseph Marshall d'Avray. The title was taken up again by his grandson Loring Woart Bailey, Jr.

Isaac Bailey was a lawyer and editor from Providence, Rhode Island. In 1810 he married Jane Whitman (1793-1886), and they had 3 children: Jacob Whitman Bailey (1811-1856), William Mason Bailey (1815-1897), and Samuel Emerson Bailey (d. 1846). Jane Whitman Bailey's second husband, George Keely, was a professor at Colby College.

Jacob Whitman Bailey went to work in a Providence bookstore at the age of 12. In 1828 he enrolled in the United States Military Academy at West Point, where, in 1834, he became assistant professor of chemistry. The next year he married Maria Slaughter of Culpeper, Virginia, and they had four children: Maria Whitman (1836-1852), Samuel Slaughter (1838-1860), Loring Woart (1839-1925), and William Whitman (1843-1914).

In 1838 Jacob was promoted to professor of chemistry, mineralogy, and geology. He also worked in the field of microbiology, collaborating with Irish botanist William Henry Harvey and exchanging specimens with Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg and Friedrich Traugott Kutzing.

He occasionally wrote poetry and exchanged poetic riddles and solutions with Maria Mayo Scott, the wife of General Winfield Scott. His daughter Maria also wrote poetry and sketched. In July 1852, while on holiday, Jacob, his wife Maria, his daughter Maria, and his son William were caught in one of the worst shipping disasters of the century, the burning of the "Henry Clay". Only he and William survived.

Loring Woart Bailey and William Whitman Bailey, children of Jacob Whitman and Maria (Slaughter) Bailey, both became science professors. William Whitman Bailey remained in the United States. He volunteered for the Union Army during the Civil War, but was discharged for medical reasons. He studied at Brown and became professor of Botany there after years of holding temporary appointments. In 1881 he married Eliza Randall Simmons. William wrote articles on botany, poems, and prose. His daughter Margaret Emerson Bailey (1885-1949), a civic politician and writer, published poems, novels, a gardening book, and a guide to good manners.

Loring Woart Bailey attended Harvard University and completed graduate work in chemistry at both Brown and Harvard. While at university he studied under Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Louis Agassiz, and Asa Gray; edited his father's letters; wrote his biography; prepared a family genealogy; and wrote a paper based on his father's microbiological investigations.

At Harvard he worked with Josiah Cooke, who facilitated his hiring by the University of New Brunswick to fill the position of professor of chemistry and natural science left vacant by the death of James Robb. Relocating to Fredericton, New Brunswick, in 1861, Bailey later taught geology and biology. He corresponded with Benjamin Silliman, William Henry Harvey, R. K. Greville, O. N. Rood, and H. L. Smith. During the early years, Bailey suffered from a sense of scientific isolation.

Results 1 to 10 of 187