- Branch begins before the 1770s
Albert Anderson is a descendant of Thomas Anderson, Sr., who emigrated to the Sackville, New Brunswick, area from Yorkshire, England, in the 1770s.
Albert Anderson is a descendant of Thomas Anderson, Sr., who emigrated to the Sackville, New Brunswick, area from Yorkshire, England, in the 1770s.
Joseph Clarke, Sr. of Stratford, Connecticut, was a physician who fled to the British Army in 1776, at the outbreak of the American Revolutionary War. His wife and children later took refuge in New York where he joined them. In June 1783 he, his wife, their 9 children, and 4 servants boarded the "Bridgwater" en route to Saint John, in what is now New Brunswick.
The Clarke family settled at Maugerville in Sunbury County, and Joseph resumed his medical practice. He was also appointed a judge of the Court of Common Pleas. Joseph Sr. died intestate at Maugerville in 1813 at age 79, leaving an estate with a total value of Ð1,299. His widow, Isabella Elizabeth Alleyne died the same year, aged 71.
Joseph Clarke, Jr., son of Joseph Clarke, Sr., accompanied his family, as a single man, to St. John aboard the "Bridgwater" in June 1783. He settled at Greenwich Hill on Long Reach in the St. John River in Kings County, New Brunswick. Joseph, Jr. died in 1828, at the age of 65, while in New York visiting friends. He left an estate valued at Ð175.
Source: Sabine, Lorenzo, Loyalists of the American Revolution, Vol. 1; Bell, D. G., Early Loyalist Saint John: The Origin of New Brunswick Politics 1783-1786, 1983; Bunnell, Paul J., The New Loyalist Index, 1989; Early Probate Records (bound volume at PANB)
Clarke and Gamble
Samuel William Bell, the son of Erlon W. Bell (1857c-1925) and Clarabelle Haining (1863-1934), was born in Bristol, New Brunswick, in 1902, the grandson of James Bell possibly from Galloway, Scotland. Erlon made his living working in mills in Bristol and Fort Fairfield, Me., but moved his family to Stickney, New Brunswick, in 1904 after the second of his two sawmills at Bristol was destroyed by fire. Erlon operated a farm in Stickney, and later built a grist mill, a shingle mill, and a sawmill. His son, Samuel, worked with him after 1918.
Sam Bell was involved in lumbering for more than 50 years. In July 1951 his old sawmill burnt, but a new one was constructed the following year. About 1963 it was upgraded from steam power to electricity. Bell eventually amalgamated his company with John Flemming's at Juniper and became general manager of the mills at Stickney and Juniper. In 1967 the company acquired the holdings of the Miramichi Forest Products Company, Ltd. of Blackville, N. B.
Sam Bell died in 1968, and the management of his business was taken over by Dead River Company, Ltd. of Fredericton. In 1972 three companies, Flemming and Gibson Ltd., S.W. Bell (1967) Ltd., and Miramichi Forest Products Ltd were amalgamated as Flemming-Gibson Industries Ltd.
This fonds has three sections. The first is composed of family trees. Many of the family trees have been prepared by professionals. Others have been compiled by family members using computer software. There are also some personal family trees filled out by participants in the Koom Ahaim reunion in 1984.
The second section chronicles the lives of individuals, e.g. births, marriages, obituaries, personal accomplishments, etc., through newspaper articles, letters, curriculum vitaes, programmes, and personal memorabilia. Many noted and colourful people have come from Saint John's Jewish community, including Louis B. Mayer, Nathan Cummings, Mayor Samuel Davis, Senator Erminie Cohen, Hon. Myra Freeman and Diana Meltzer Abramsky, founder of the Thyroid Foundation.
The third section is made up the oral interviews conducted by Marcia Koven and others with members of the Saint John Jewish community about their lives and their memories of life in the city's Jewish community. Most of these interviews were recorded on audiocassette. In 2011, these cassettes were converted to MP3 files for improved access. Other interviews have been recorded on videocassette. The interviews have been transcribed in summarized form and photographs of the subject accompany many of the early interviews. Beginning in 2004, more detailed transcriptions were being produced for the interviews and will be added to the files as completed.
Carriage makers, Daniel and Elisha Wheaton, the sons of Mary Kennedy and David Wheaton (1765-1851), were born about 1825 and 1822 respectively, in the parish of Sackville, Westmorland County, New Brunswick. By the early 1850s, both Elisha and Daniel were working in the carriage-making trade at Upper Sackville, Daniel as a carriage maker and Elisha as a blacksmith. Elisha and his wife, Rebecca Kinnear, had no fewer than 8 children: Lucetty, Calvin, Anne, Herbert, Frank (1855-1927), Sarah, Frederick, and Carrie. These records suggest that Frank Wheaton had joined his father in the business by the 1880s. Other members of the Wheaton family were probably employed by the firm.
In addition to the manufacture and repair of wagons, carriages and carts, Wheaton Brothers made woodwork for carriages, racks, flooring, coffins, and iron work. The business also sold other goods: clapboards, shingles, lumber, cloth, clothing, boots, shoes, oats, hay, maple sugar, and flour. Customers paid their accounts in cash, kind, or labour. The business was still functioning in 1904.
This collection was compiled by Edwin Wallace Bell and Dudley Johnson Bell, sons of James A. Bell and Deborah Kenny. The research material it contains forms the content of the book, "Israel Kenny His Children and Their Families" by Edwin Wallace Bell, which appeared in 1944. Well-known New Brunswick historian Lilian M. B. Maxwell supplied the introduction.
Born on 23 October 1739 at Worcester, Massachusetts, Israel Kenny was a pre-Loyalist or Planter who came to what is now New Brunswick in 1767. He settled first at Maugerville, Sunbury County and then at Oromocto. He and his wife Susannah Hood had 14 children, three of whom remained in the Oromocto area, while the others relocated to Carleton County, N.B. around 1800. Israel Kenny drowned in 1791, attempting to cross the St. John River on the ice.
By the mid-20th century, the descendants of Israel Kenny in North America totalled over 2,000. The appearance of "Israel Kenny His Children and Their Families" sparked a revival in the publication of works on genealogy in New Brunswick not seen since the late 19th century.
This collection was compiled by descendants of John Mann, the son of John Mann and Margaret McGregor, who was born in June 1798, probably at Croftentyan, Perthshire, Scotland. The younger John Mann first emigrated to New Brunswick in 1816, arriving at Saint John aboard the "Favorite" on 22 November 1816. Due to lack of funds, he spent his second winter on the Magaguadavic River loading lumber boats. In 1819 he joined William F. Odell's surveying party that was attempting to determine the boundary between Maine and New Brunswick. In the summer of 1822, Mann left Magaguadavic to see if better prospects awaited him in Canada. Unhappy with what he found, he returned to New Brunswick in September of the same year.
In 1823, Mann returned to Scotland where he married Margaret McVean. They would have no fewer than seven children: Margaret, Catherine, John, Elizabeth, Harriet, Grace, and Hannah. John Mann emigrated to New Brunswick a second time in 1828 with his wife and family. They settled in the parish of St. George, Charlotte County, where John Mann farmed and built boats. He was a deacon of the First Baptist Church of St. George. Although his educational opportunities had been limited, he produced two books "Travels in North America," published in 1824, and "The Emigrants' Instructor". John Mann died on 19 February 1891, at age 92. His wife Margaret predeceased him on 20 March 1877, at age 76.
Merchant and entrepreneur, William Fotherby Burditt (1849-1931) was born on 30 May 1849, at Saffron-Walden, Essex, England, to the Rev. Thomas Burditt (1811-1881) and Anne Maria Fotherby Burditt (1817-1859), later of Tenby, South Wales. He had 6 siblings, namely, Thomas Henry (b. 1842), Anna Mary (1844-1939), George Deane (b. 1847), John Frederick (1851-1894), Eleanor (1855-1901), and Francis Noel (Frank, 1858-1940). William Burditt left Britain in June 1868 and settled in Saint John, New Brunswick. On 5 July 1870 he married Eliza Lury Duval, the daughter of school inspector Edmund Hillyer Duval. Seven of their children, William F. Burditt, Jr. (1873-1950), Mary Louise Burditt (Flewwelling, 1874-1948), Nellie Burditt (b. 1878), Arthur F. Burditt (1880-1970), Eleanor F. Burditt (1878-1947), and Edith Constance Burditt (1885-1975), reached adulthood.
From November 1870 to April 1874, William F. Burditt and his family lived in Nova Scotia, probably near Lawrencetown. They were living at Sackville, N.B., in July 1874, when Mary Louise (May) was born, but left there in November of the same year for Saint John. He was employed out of province for a couple of years and then returned to Saint John. He worked in partnership with Arthur P. Tippet under the firm name Arthur P. Tippet & Co. in the late 1870s and early 1880s. The business functioned as manufacturers' agents for the sale of fine salt, vinegars, soap, lard, oil, macaroni, and other foodstuffs. With Arthur P. Tippet, he co-founded the Saint John firm of Tippet, Burditt and Co. Ltd., in 1883, that sold agricultural implements and machinery, and he formed W. F. Burditt & Co. that sold similar merchandise (1890s). By the early 1920s, he was manager of the lumbering firm Frost and Wood Co. Ltd.
William F. Burditt's major contribution to Saint John was his guidance of the redesign of the city centre, and his creation of the new town plan. His models for civic systemization were widely copied throughout Canada. William F. Burditt served as vice-president of the Saint John Board of Trade and was active in the Saint John Exhibition Association. On invitation of the Canadian government, he attended the Centenary Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876. W. F. Burditt was a member of the Good Roads Association, the Natural History Society, the Saint John Art Club, the Fortnightly Club, the Free Kindergarten Association, and Germain Street Baptist Church. He also served as chairman of school trustees in East Saint John. William F. Burditt died at Saint John on 6 November 1931. His wife, Lury, predeceased him, passing away on 15 May 1928.
William F. Burditt's father was a Baptist preacher, who lived for many years at Tenby, Wales. His sister Anna Mary Burditt never married. She lived in Luton where she taught school, attended Park Street Baptist Church, and ran a book shop for many years in partnership with her brother, Frank Burditt. William F. Burditt's brother, John F. Burditt came to New Brunswick in 1869. He studied at the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, graduating in 1877. He furthered his education at Newton Theological Seminary, Newton, Massachusetts. For a number of years, under the auspices of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society, he served in India and elsewhere. He died on 4 August 1894, in India, leaving a wife and 5 children, who probably made their home at Newtown, Massachusetts, following his death.
William F. Burditt's son, William F. Burditt, Jr., studied electrical engineering at the Pratt Institute, in New York, and mechanical engineering at Cornell University, graduating in 1898. He was employed by Prentiss Co., of New York; was proprietor of W. F. Burditt Machinery Company, New York City, in 1907; and became president of Loy & Nawart Co., of Newark, in 1912. In 1919, he co-founded Service Machine Co., of Elizabeth, New Jersey, retiring from the company in 1949. He married Katherine Adina Smith in 1902, and they had no fewer than 4 children, Katherine (Donaldson), Ruth B. (Thomas), Arthur K., and Allen G. and raised a foster son, Francis Mills. William F. Burditt, Jr. died 24 January 1950.
William F. Burditt's younger son, Arthur F. Burditt, married Lila Agnes White in 1918, and they had no fewer than 6 children: Alice Geraldine (b. 1919, m. MacLean), Albert William (b. 1921), George Dwight (1922-2012), Doris Duval (b. 1925, m. Hoar), Dr. Anna Mary (1929-2007), and Charlotte Evelyn (b. 1939, m. Sutherland). Daughters, Mary Louise (May) Burditt, Eleanor F. Burditt, and Edith C. Burditt remained in Saint John. Mary Louise married John Witcombe Flewwelling, a printer, on 20 June 1907. Eleanor F. Burditt, a nurse, died unmarried on 11 May 1947. Edith Burditt, a graduate of Acadia Ladies Seminary of Music, served as organist of the Edith Avenue Baptist Church (Saint John) for a number of years. She died unmarried at her residence on Bayside Drive on 11 July 1975, age 90.
Albénie J. Violette, the son of Sarah Levasseur and Germain Violette, was born at St. Léonard, Madawaska County, New Brunswick on 6 October 1873. On 16 April 1894 he married Marie Annie Akerley (Memery, Mamary), and they had no fewer than 11 children, including Marie Blanche Hélène, Frederick Henry, Mary Edna, Charles Dollard, Léonard G., and Émile. A. J. Violette lived briefly in the state of Maine, but lived most of his life in the parish of St. Léonard. Prominent in the community, he owned and operated a number of businesses -- S. J. Violette Woodworking Factory, The Brunswick Hotel, St. Léonard Brick Yard, St. Léonard's Fox Farm, The Hammond hotel (Van Buren, Maine), Martin & Violette (general store), and A. J. Violette car dealership. During the Prohibition years, he ran a lucrative rum-running, moonshine, and bootlegging business that crossed provincial and international lines. Several of his children were involved in these illegal enterprises. A. J. was a prominent member of the Progressive Conservative Party for many years. He died on 24 April 1928. A. J. Violette's sons, Émile F. and Leonard G., both served overseas during the Great War. Émile was with the Second Divisional Signaling Company, Second Canadian Division in France. Following his return to Canada in 1916, he was appointed Special Recruiting Officer for Madawaska County. Later he moved to the United States, residing in Portland and Presque Isle, Maine and in Berlin, New Hampshire where he was manager of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. In addition to his overseas service in the First World War, brother Léonard acted as Civilian Recruiting Advisor for Madawaska County in the 1940s. He was also a member of the Edmundston branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. Like his father, Léonard was involved in a number of enterprises. He operated Len's Service & Filling Station, the Hotel Brunswick, and was involved in the rum-running operation and probably the car dealership. Source: When Rum was King by B. J. Grant, 1984.
Donald Brun est né à Cap-Pelé (Nouveau-Brunswick), le 14 octobre 1933, fils d'Émile Brun et d'Euphémie Cormier. Il a épousé Lorette Cormier de Saint-Paul-de-Kent (N.-B.). Le couple réside à Cocagne (N.-B.).