Showing 190 results

Authority record
Family

Abner Smith (family)

  • Family
  • 1793-1914

James Smith was born in MacDuff, Scotland on 18 March 1793 and died in Sackville, New Brunswick on 16 August, 1865. He and his wife, Abigail [b. 1803], had three sons: Alexander [b. 1832], Abner [b. 1836], and Frederick.[b. 1844].

During the first half of the 19th century, James Smith and James Ayer manufactured harnesses, boots, and shoes in Middle Sackville. At this time, W. C. E. Hamilton (known as “Big Hamilton”) built up a large tannery business. They were succeeded by James R. Ayer, and brothers Abner Smith and Alexander Smith and their establishments were purchased by the “Standard” Company organized by A. E. Wry, later renamed A. E. Wry - Standard, Ltd. Dates regarding the amalgamation of these enterprises have not been determined.

In 1895 James Ayer built the Standard Manufacturing Company’s general store on 332 Main Street in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. In 1914 the shareholders of the Standard Manufacturing Company and A. E. Wry Limited, the two main branches of this industry, combined their efforts to form A.E Wry – Standard Ltd. This company was the largest of its kind in Canada, carrying out under one management the manufacturing of boots and shoes, moccasins and shoepacks, harnesses of all types, and the tanning of various types of leather. They were also jobbers of saddlery, hardware, leather, Saskatchewan robes and coats, sheep skin coats, trunks, bags, etc. In 1939 the general store was purchased by the J. L .Black Company. The date that the A.E Wry – Standard Ltd. Company officially closed its doors has not been determined.

Allen (family)

  • Family
  • 1841-1969

The Allen family were pioneers in the area of Port Elgin, New Brunswick. The family's presence in New Brunswick began with the arrival of Rev. Thomas Allen (1841-1936) from Leicestershire, England. He was the son of John and Mary (Cooke) Allen. He was ordained as a Methodist clergyman circa 1866 and he came to Canada by 1870 to minister to various congregations in New Brunswick into the early twentieth century. He was married to Mary Eliza Bishop (1845-1932) on 7 July 1870 in Sandy Cove, Digby County, Nova Scotia. She was the daughter of Edward Bishop and Rachel (Warrington) Bishop. The couple had the following children: George B. (1871-1874); William C. (1872-1898); Mary Edith (1874-1966), a teacher; Thomas Jackson (1876-1959); Frances "Fannie" Seymour (1878-1968), wife of noted Canadian novelist and poet, Theodore Goodridge Roberts (1877-1953); Ada E. (1881-1967) and Bertha (1883-1969). Most members of the family are buried in the Gray Island Cemetery in Hillsborough, New Brunswick.

Anderson (family)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in ca. 1745

Collection contains material concerning the Anderson family, founding pioneers of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, including genealogical information for the Anderson’s of Sackville, New Brunswick, identifying the branch that migrated west before the mid 1870s. This consist of: "The Hardscrabble Andersons", by Mary Augusta, n.d. (after 1986); "Two White Oxen, a perspective of early Saskatoon, 1874-1905", from the memoirs of Barbara (Hunter) Anderson, compiled and edited by George W. Anderson and Robert N. Anderson, revised edition 1993; genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas Anderson (1745-1841); genealogical chart of the descendants of Thomas R. Anderson (1745-1841), with family connections with Seaman, Crabtree, Pidge, and Tingley; and genealogical chart of the descendants of William George Anderson of Saskatoon, b. 1898.

Anderson (family) (descandants of Thomas Sr.)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1745

The Anderson family were descendants of Thomas Sr. (1745-1841) and Mary Anderson, who emigrated to Sackville, New Brunswick, from Yorkshire, England, in the early 1770s. Settling at Cole’s Island, situated on the Tantramar Marsh near Sackville, the first two generations engaged in farming. Titus Anderson, grandson of Thomas Sr., became a master mariner, the first of many seafaring men in the Anderson family of Sackville.

Anderson (family) (emigrés of Yorkshire, England)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1745

The Anderson family were descendants of Thomas Sr. (1745-1841) and Mary Anderson, who emigrated to Sackville, New Brunswick, from Yorkshire, England, in the early 1770's. Settling at Cole’s Island, situated on the Tantramar Marsh near Sackville, the first two generations engaged in farming. Titus Anderson, grandson of Thomas Sr., became a master mariner, the first of many seafaring men in the Anderson family of Sackville.

Anderson (family) (emigrés of Yorkville, England)

  • Family
  • Branch begins before 1772

The Anderson family emigrated to Sackville, New Brunswick, from Yorkshire, England, in 1772, settling at Coles Island on the Tantramar Marshes. They were farmers, living on the same homestead for several generations. The Patterson family also lived on Coles Island. The two families were for many years closely associated by marriage and business.

Anderson family (Sackville, N.B.)

  • Family
  • Branch begins before the 1770s

Albert Anderson is a descendant of Thomas Anderson, Sr., who emigrated to the Sackville, New Brunswick, area from Yorkshire, England, in the 1770s.

Ashburnham Family

  • MS75
  • Family
  • 1855-1938

Thomas Ashburnham, born 8 Apr 1855, was the youngest son of Lord Ashburnham who was head of one of England’s oldest families. Ashburnham served in the 7th (Queen’s Own) Hussars, a cavalry regiment, earning a lieutenant’s commission at age 26 while serving with the 7th Hussars in South Africa. Upon returning to England he was made a captain in the Expeditionary Force which was sent to suppress the Egyptian Rebellion in 1882. In 1885-86, Ashburnham was in Ireland serving as an aide de camp, then on to India from 1886 – 90 where much of his time was spent as member of big game expeditions. After his army career he came to Fredericton where he met Maria “Rye” Anderson and they married in 1903. Rye was born 25 Nov 1858 in Fredericton and was the d/o William and Lucy Ann Anderson.They purchased two buildings on Brunswick St., #’s 163 & 165, which they had joined by a glassed-in conservatory forming a ‘porte cortiere’ and providing access to lawns and gardens in the rear of the property. Unexpectedly in 1913 he became the 6th Earl of Ashburnham with the death of his last surviving brother, who was childless. They took up residency in England but in 1914 returned to Fredericton as Lady Ashburnham was unhappy, not being accepted by the family, and with the impending World War. Once again here they became the centre of the ‘elite social life’. Lord Ashburnham divided his time between Fredericton and England until his death in 1924 and Lady Ashburnham lived in Fredericton until her death in 1938.

Bailey (family)

  • Family
  • Branch begins before 1820

John and William Bailey were the sons of William S. and Elizabeth Bailey were were married in New Brunswick in 1820. The father was a shoemaker by trade and died in 1838 at the age of 46, due to complications from his injuries from a scaffolding accident. He was survived by his wife and children.

John Bailey was a merchant in Saint John in 1849. He apparently specialized in flour of several types and cornmeal as he regularly received shipments by sea from Philadelphia and New York. In October 1849, John made what appears to be a sudden decision to leave for California, probably to join the Gold Rush. He signed over power of attorney to settle his business to his brother, William, a printer in Saint John. Several lots of land were also signed over to William. John Bailey died on 13 June 1860 at his residence on Orange Street. His death was listed as inflammation of the lungs.

William S. Bailey was apprenticed to Henry Sancton, a printer in Saint John in 1839 for a period of 5 years by his mother and guardian Elizabeth Bailey. As part of his apprenticeship, William worked in Saint John on the "Herald", a Henry Sancton publication in 1844 and in Fredericton, at the "Reporter" [184?]. He married Mary Elizabeth Williams in 1846 and they had 10 children, Margaret, Isabell, William, Rachael, Jane L., Lora E., Louisa, Maud, Charlotte, and Emily. During his career as a printer, William appears to have collaborated with a prominent Saint John printer, George W. Day, on occasion. Bailey is listed as a co-publisher of the "Saint John Mail", published 1847-1848.

Sources: "McAlpines Saint John City Directory," 1863-1864; Census 1851, 1861, 1871; Harper, J. Russell, Historical Directory of New Brunswick Newspapers and Periodicals

Bailey (family) (PANB)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1811

Jacob Whitman Bailey, the son of Jane Whitman and Isaac Bailey, was born in 1811, probably at Providence, Rhode Island. At age 12, family finances forced him to find employment with a local bookseller. By 1828 he enrolled in the United States Military Academy at West Point. He later taught chemistry, mineralogy, and geology there, being a recognized authority on the diatom and infusoria. He married Maria Slaughter, and they had four children: Maria Whitman (1836-1852), Samuel Slaughter (1838-1860), Loring Woart (1839-1925), and William Whitman (1843-1914). J. W. Bailey died on 27 February 1857.

His son Loring Woart Bailey studied at Harvard University and later did graduate work in chemistry at both Brown and Harvard universities. In 1861 L.W. Bailey moved to Fredericton where he became chair of Chemistry and Natural Science at the University of New Brunswick, holding that post until his death in 1925. While at UNB he also taught physics, zoology, physiology, botany, and geology.

In summer, Loring Woart Bailey did field survey work for the Geological Survey of New Brunswick, and later for the Geological Survey of Canada, working in Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Maine. Retiring from UNB in 1907, he concentrated on the study of diatoms and worked with the Marine Biological Station at St. Andrews, N.B. Bailey published numerous scientific articles and books. He served as president of the Natural History Society for several years, and was a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada, contributing numerous papers to its distinguished journal. Professor Bailey and John Babbitt have been credited with making Fredericton’s first telephone, which connected the Bailey home, “Sunnyside,” at 329-331 University Avenue, with the Babbitt house.

In 1863 L. W. Bailey married Laurestine Marie de Brett (1841-1938), the daughter of Margaret Emma Glenn and Joseph Marshall d’Avray, who was professor of Modern Languages at UNB and of its predecessor, King’s College. They had several children, including Joseph Whitman (1865-1932), Loring Woart, Jr. (1868-1943), and George Whitman (1879-1936). Son Joseph practiced law in Boston, compiled genealogies, and also published travel books and biographies. Loring Woart, Jr., worked for the Bank of British North America in Québec. George was a physician and served as medical inspector of schools in Fredericton.

Educator, poet, anthropologist, and administrator Alfred Goldsworthy Bailey, the son Ernestine Valiant Gale and Loring Woart Bailey, Jr., was born in Québec in 1905. He received a B.A. from UNB (1927) and an M.A. (1929) and Ph.D. (1934) from the University of Toronto. In 1934 he enrolled in the School of Economics and Political Science (London) and then studied British and continental museum administration under a Carnegie grant. He married Jean Craig Hamilton (d. 1998); they had no children.

Dr. Bailey had a long and distinguished academic and administrative career. He was employed as assistant director and associate curator at the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John before becoming the first chair of History at UNB (1938-1969). He also served as dean of arts (1946-1964), vice-president academic (1965-1964), and as honorary librarian and chief executive officer of the Bonar Law-Bennett Library (1946-1959), where he worked closely with Lord Beaverbrook. He was also instrument in founding the Bliss Carman Society (1940) and The Fiddlehead (1945). Alfred G. Bailey published several books of poetry, as well as academic books and articles on aspects of history and anthropology. He died at Fredericton on 21 April 1997.

Results 1 to 10 of 190