Showing 6 results

Authority record
Charlotte County Archives Family

Grimmer family

  • MS19
  • Family
  • 1827 - 1974

Genealogical chart of descendants of Thomas Grimmer of St. Stephen, NB. The Grimmers were originally a St. Stephen family. The St. Andrews and Chamcook branches are descendants of George Skiffington Grimmer, a grandson of Thomas Grimmer who came as a member of the Port Matoon Association. The papers relate mainly to F. Hazen Grimmer, George S. Grimmer, Frank Howard Grimmer, George Durrell Grimmer, John Davidson Grimmer, J. W. Grimmer, John Grimmer, Thomas Grimmer,

Ingram family (St. Andrews)

  • MC76
  • Family
  • 1800-1900

William Ingram was from Newton Abbot, Devon. He was a baker. He emigrated first to Boston where he married Mary (surname unknown). They moved to St Andrews where his father Charles Ingram, a tailor settled in 1834. They seem to have had some difficulty in making a good living. Mary operated the bakery after William died and also took in boarders


  • Family
  • c.1800s

Japhet Hill McAllister was the son of John McAllister whose
parents Daniel McAllister and Mary Patterson came from New
Boston, New Hampshire with other settlers at the end of the
Revoluntary War and obtained land in the Parish of St. David.
Japhet’s mother, Keziah, was the daughter of Japhet Hill
whose family were early settlers at Machias. They followed the
traditional occupations of farming and lumbering.

            Japhet H. McAllister operated a mill at Upper Mills on the
St. Croix and the family residence was in Milltown. His wife was
Lucy; her family name is not known. Japhet also engaged in
farming and lumbering and, in 1851, he joined with William Porter,
Daniel Hill and others to form the Musquash and Digdeguash Brook
River Driving Company, incorporated under Provincial Law. He was
a member of the Baptist Church. His daughter, Emeline, married
Andrew Murchie McAdam, son of Hon. John McAdam, politician,
who also engaged in the lumber industry.


The papers of Japhet Hill McAllister originated between
1826 and 1862 and are concerned with his personal and
business affairs. Included are deeds, mortgages and leases
to his various properties including his mill at the Upper Dam
in Milltown, also documents concerned with fire wards, the
Baptist Church and the Middle Bridge. All are photocopies
of the originals held by John Gilman of Deer Island.

Moore - DeWolfe family

  • MC72
  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1812

John Warren Moore (1812-1893) was born at Moores Mills, New Brunswick, the son of Tristram Moore and Thankful Foster. He was a grandson of William Moore, a Loyalist and head of the Cape Ann Association from New Hampshire, who settled in Charlotte County in 1785. In 1833 he married Mary Louisa DeWolfe (1813-1890) of St. Stephen, the daughter of John DeWolfe, a descendant of Nova Scotia Loyalists, and his wife, Eliza Jane Rudolf. She had 4 brothers: John Kirkland, Thomas Moody, James, and Charles; and 2 sisters, Caroline Augusta and Eliza Jane. John and Mary Louisa Moore had 2 sons and 5 daughters.

John Moore became a well-known cabinet-maker in St. Stephen. His son, Harris, apprenticed to him and joined the business in 1870 when it became J. W. Moore and Son. John's other son, Edward, who lived on the American side of the border in Calais, also had a financial interest in the business.

Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. XII