Item 2014.1.1 - Abner Smith Order Ledger

Original Digital object not accessible

Title proper

Abner Smith Order Ledger

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on content of the item

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA THT 2014.1.1

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1888-1890 (Record-keeping activity)
    Place
    Sackville

Physical description

7.2 x 9 x 6 inches
1 volume of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1793-1914)

Biographical history

James Smith was born in MacDuff, Scotland on 18 March 1793 and died in Sackville, New Brunswick on 16 August, 1865. He and his wife, Abigail [b. 1803], had three sons: Alexander [b. 1832], Abner [b. 1836], and Frederick.[b. 1844].

During the first half of the 19th century, James Smith and James Ayer manufactured harnesses, boots, and shoes in Middle Sackville. At this time, W. C. E. Hamilton (known as “Big Hamilton”) built up a large tannery business. They were succeeded by James R. Ayer, and brothers Abner Smith and Alexander Smith and their establishments were purchased by the “Standard” Company organized by A. E. Wry, later renamed A. E. Wry - Standard, Ltd. Dates regarding the amalgamation of these enterprises have not been determined.

In 1895 James Ayer built the Standard Manufacturing Company’s general store on 332 Main Street in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. In 1914 the shareholders of the Standard Manufacturing Company and A. E. Wry Limited, the two main branches of this industry, combined their efforts to form A.E Wry – Standard Ltd. This company was the largest of its kind in Canada, carrying out under one management the manufacturing of boots and shoes, moccasins and shoepacks, harnesses of all types, and the tanning of various types of leather. They were also jobbers of saddlery, hardware, leather, Saskatchewan robes and coats, sheep skin coats, trunks, bags, etc. In 1939 the general store was purchased by the J. L .Black Company. The date that the A.E Wry – Standard Ltd. Company officially closed its doors has not been determined.

Custodial history

Item was donated to the Tantramar Heritage Trust by Bliss K on 17 April 2012

Scope and content

Item is a marble-covered order ledger used by Abner Smith to record transactions between 16 January 1888 and 23 June 1890
Book also contains other items such as receipts and cheques

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres