Fonds 09.06.00 - 8th Canadian Hussars (PL)

Peacekeeping 1 Peacekeeping 2 Petawawa Training Peace Keeping Arnie Jantz Uniforms Photograph Album 1957-1962 Photograph Album 1962-1969 Photograph Album 1960-1986
Results 1 to 10 of 16 Show all

Title proper

8th Canadian Hussars (PL)

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Museum created

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA HM 09.06.00

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1848-2009 (Creation)
    Creator
    8th Princess Louise (NB) Hussars

Physical description

65 cm textual records , 2310 photographs , 6 sketches, 1 drawing, 2 certificates, 6 photocopied photographs, 5 Newspaper Clippings

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1848 -)

Administrative history

The 8th Princess Louise (NB) Hussars or 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) can trace its roots to 4 April 1848, when the New Brunswick Regiment of Yoemanry Calvary was formed. A more tenuous link exists, however, to 1775, when Lieutenant-Colonel John Saunders formed "Saunders Horse" to fight American rebels during the American Revolutionary War. This troop was probably disbanded in New Brunswick about 1783, the year that thousands of Loyalists or Americans who supported the British side during the revolution sailed for Nova Scotia. Many settled in the St. John River and Kennebecasis River valleys and elsewhere. In 1825, from among these disbanded troops, calvary units were formed, one being attached to each local infantry battalion. By 1848, 11 of these units joined together to form the New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry. Over subsequent years the troops were reorganized several times.

In 1884, Govenor General John Campbell's wife, Princess Louise, the eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, honoured the Regiment with her name, and it became the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry. The name changed, in 1892, to 8th Prince Louise's New Brunswick Hussars. During the World War I, the Hussars did not serve officially overseas. Instead, a Hussars squardron was supplied to the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles and many individual members of the regiment joined other Canadian units serving overseas.

During World War II, the Hussars served overseas as a formed unit, being stationed first in England, then North Africa, and finally in Italy. In 1940, the Hussars were formed into the 4th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment. The regiment moved from France to Belgium in 1945, and lastly to Holland where, at Delfziji, approximately 3,000 Axis troops surrendered to them.

Returning to Canada, the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars reverted to reserve status. In the early 1950s, the regiment contributed men to "Y" troop, the special force that Canada sent to Korea, in 1951, to serve as part of NATO's brigade in Germany. In 1957, formation of the Regular Regiment bought a change in name, the regular regiment being designated the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise) and the Militia Regiment taking the same title with the word "militia" being added. The following year, the regiment's Reconnaissance Squadron left Canada to serve with the UN Expeditionary Force in Suez where it remained for a year. The regular regiment is now stationed at Camp Petawawa. Ontario. The militia remains in New Brunswick.

After WWII, the 8th Princess Louise's reverted to a reserve regiment. In 1950, a number of personnel were provided to the Special Force which proceeded to Korea in May 1951. Early in 1957, when it was decided that a new regular armoured regiment should be formed, the honour was bestowed upon the 8th Princess Louise's NB Hussars as a result of their outstanding previous history. In 1958, part of the Regiment left Canada to serve with the United Nations Emergency Force in the Gaza Strip where it remained for a year. In 1959 the Hussars sailed to Germany for a three year tour of duty with the 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade. In 1963, when they returned from Germany, the Regiment took up residence in CFB Petawawa, and the Militia (Reserve) Regiment stayed at its home station in Moncton, New Brunswick. In 1964 the Hussars left the tanks and converted to a reconnaissance regiment.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of materials on Armoured Corps, Coyote Tanks and a drawing of a Coyote Tank.
Uniforms include information on badges, uniforms and dress regulations which Includes 5 hand written pages-- an account of belt buckles and changes to be made.
Army Dress Committee Minutes from 1997 and 13 illustrations of badges. Minutes from Dress Symposium December 1959. Pamphlet "Regimental Orders of Dress?"1965. Flat badges and Shoulder Flash Information.
Bits:
Information on bits, spurs and stirrups used by the Canadian Cavalry and by the Mounted Police
Training:
Consists of folders and pamphlets. 8 Student Assessment folders. Exercise Muskrat Scramble. Tank and Infantry Operations. Officer Classification Training 1972. Repair Schedule and Times for Rifle 1986. Heating and Ventilating Products. Signal Training, COTC Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Training. Phase I May to August 1956, Phase II May to August 1957 and handouts for May to August 1957. Also included is materials for RCASC Precis 1952-1957and Light Armoured Troop Drills.
Materials in a binder include 1985 Camp Maps, Command Structures, Operation Orders and Training Diagrams. A second Binder materials on Fundamentals of AFV Gunnery (cougar) 1989, Pictures, and Instructions and Drills.

Publications:
Photocopied articles pertaining to the Hussars over a period of 30 years and Printers copy of 1973 Sabretache. Included are numerous articles from CFB Gagetown Gazette, Newspaper and newspaper articles which are all originals.

Peace Keeping:
Materials Include 6 pencil sketches by Gary Bowser 1979. "The 8th Hussars Magazine"1979, Photocopies of 6 photos taken in or near Nicosa or Kyrenia, Cyprus, 2 Change of Command Certificates for Cyprus and 18 page Newsletter and photograph from Egypt. Also included is Correspondence regarding NATO.

Band:
Band materials include sheet music, photographs and 1 sheet of correspondence. A folder of music which includes the arrangement of "The Galloping 8th Hussar"
.
Guidon:
Materials include photocopied pictures, photos, programs, newspaper articles and correspondence.

Regiment
Included materials are Distribution Lists, Notes from an Address, Dress Regulations, Minutes from Meetings and Allocation Lists.

125 Anniversary:
Materials on Planning Minutes for 125th Anniversary, brochures, Newsletters and drills and Nominal Rolls for parade participants that includes 2 folders, 1 book and 11 binders.
Folders include Situation Reports, General Invitations and a Large book of Attendees with signatures and addresses. Materials in binders include "The sunset Ceremony", "After Action Report" , "Royal Review" . "100 Man Guard of Honour" , Invitation and Programme for Regimental Review and " Sunset Ceremony" and Committee Meetings
.
Correspondence:
materials include correspondence plus 1 envelope of programs and invitations.

Nominal Rolls:
Included materials Nominal Rolls in 5 folders from 1973-1975.

Militia:
Numerous photocopied pictures and a brief history of the militia with Some publicity information and The Militia Nominal Rolls for 1973. An Annual training Plan for 1986-1987 and a small pamphlet on Constitution and Mess Rules.

Correspondence:
Included materials are letters and invitations

Inspections:
Photographs of inspections and reviews. Printed material for the Formation for reviews.

Photographs :
2 albums, 23 envelopes and numerous sleeves of pictures.

Discharge:
Discharge papers for Pte. Charles M Brown dated April 8, 1946

Gagetown:
Included is newspaper articles on planning and building of CFB Gagetown.

Association:
Included materials are letters of Patent for the formation of the Association.

Correspondence:
Materials are letters .

Museum:
records regarding the setup of the Museum. Also includes the agreement with Virtual Museums of Canada.

Bylaws:
Records of minutes, newsletters, membership lists and bylaws.

Princess Anne:
Paperwork in reference to the Appointment of HRH Princess Anne as Colonel-in-Chief.
Photographs:
Photographs of HRH Princess Anne during her visits to the Regiment.

Publications:
5 newspaper articles of HRH Princess Anne

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box - 11 - 19

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres