Dénomination générale des documents
- Document textuel
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Source du titre propre: Museum created
Niveau de description
CA HM 09.06.00-09.06.08-09.06.08.01
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
- 8th Princess Louise (NB) Hussars
6 cms of textual records , 2 folders, 1 book and 11 binders
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Nom du producteur
The 8th Princess Louise (NB) Hussars or 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) can trace its roots to 4 April 1848, when the New Brunswick Regiment of Yoemanry Calvary was formed. A more tenuous link exists, however, to 1775, when Lieutenant-Colonel John Saunders formed "Saunders Horse" to fight American rebels during the American Revolutionary War. This troop was probably disbanded in New Brunswick about 1783, the year that thousands of Loyalists or Americans who supported the British side during the revolution sailed for Nova Scotia. Many settled in the St. John River and Kennebecasis River valleys and elsewhere. In 1825, from among these disbanded troops, calvary units were formed, one being attached to each local infantry battalion. By 1848, 11 of these units joined together to form the New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry. Over subsequent years the troops were reorganized several times.
In 1884, Govenor General John Campbell's wife, Princess Louise, the eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, honoured the Regiment with her name, and it became the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry. The name changed, in 1892, to 8th Prince Louise's New Brunswick Hussars. During the World War I, the Hussars did not serve officially overseas. Instead, a Hussars squardron was supplied to the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles and many individual members of the regiment joined other Canadian units serving overseas.
During World War II, the Hussars served overseas as a formed unit, being stationed first in England, then North Africa, and finally in Italy. In 1940, the Hussars were formed into the 4th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment. The regiment moved from France to Belgium in 1945, and lastly to Holland where, at Delfziji, approximately 3,000 Axis troops surrendered to them.
Returning to Canada, the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars reverted to reserve status. In the early 1950s, the regiment contributed men to "Y" troop, the special force that Canada sent to Korea, in 1951, to serve as part of NATO's brigade in Germany. In 1957, formation of the Regular Regiment bought a change in name, the regular regiment being designated the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise) and the Militia Regiment taking the same title with the word "militia" being added. The following year, the regiment's Reconnaissance Squadron left Canada to serve with the UN Expeditionary Force in Suez where it remained for a year. The regular regiment is now stationed at Camp Petawawa. Ontario. The militia remains in New Brunswick.
After WWII, the 8th Princess Louise's reverted to a reserve regiment. In 1950, a number of personnel were provided to the Special Force which proceeded to Korea in May 1951. Early in 1957, when it was decided that a new regular armoured regiment should be formed, the honour was bestowed upon the 8th Princess Louise's NB Hussars as a result of their outstanding previous history. In 1958, part of the Regiment left Canada to serve with the United Nations Emergency Force in the Gaza Strip where it remained for a year. In 1959 the Hussars sailed to Germany for a three year tour of duty with the 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade. In 1963, when they returned from Germany, the Regiment took up residence in CFB Petawawa, and the Militia (Reserve) Regiment stayed at its home station in Moncton, New Brunswick. In 1964 the Hussars left the tanks and converted to a reconnaissance regiment.
Historique de la conservation
Portée et contenu
Subseries consists of materials regarding 125th Anniversary including Planning Minutes, brochures, Newsletters , drills and Nominal Rolls for parade participants. Included are 2 folders, 1 book and 11 binders.
1 folder of Situation Reports, 1 folder General Invitations, 1 Large book of Attendees with signatures and addresses. Two binders that include "The sunset Ceremony" , "After Action Report " and "Royal Review" . Two binders "100 Man Guard of Honour" and a binder with Invitations and Programs for Regimental Review and Sunset Ceremony.. Also included is a folder of Committee Meetings.
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche