104th Anti-tank Battery, 7th Anti-Tank Regiment RCA collection
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA PANB MC2754
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- The 104th Battery
2 cms of textual records, 2 photographs : b&w ; 20 x 31 cms or smaller, and 6 negatives : col ; 3 x 4 cms
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The 104th Battery was mobilized in Fredericton, York County, New Brunswick on 15 July 1940 with Major W. F. Blair as O.C. Other officers included, Capt. E.D. Hall, Lieut. Y. McLean, Lieut. T.K. Stephens, Lieut. D.A. Wolstenholme, and Lieut. R.M. McGibbon. The new recruits received basic training at the experimental farm, located near Fredericton, following which they were shipped to Nickel Building, in Kingston, Ontario, and then on to Petawawa at the end of November 1940. At this time, the 104th Battery came under the command of the 4th Anti-Tank Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery.
In March 1941, the 104th Battery was moved to St. Stephen, New Brunswick. The following month, it embarked at Halifax, Nova Scotia, aboard the H.M.T. "Georgic", as an independent battery, destined for Gourock, Scotland. In Scotland the recruits received more anti-tank training. The 104th Anti-Tank Battery became a component of the 7th Anti-Tank Regiment RCA that was formed in England on 25 July 1941 to serve as 1st Canadian Corps Anti-Tank Regiment.
The 104th Battery boarded the "Scythia," on 12 November 1943, at Bristol, England, bound for the Mediterranean on operation "Timberwolf II". By 25 November 1943, the 104th had disembarked at Algiers, Algeria, North Africa. It later moved on to Sicily, France, and Holland. The Battery served in Holland under First Canadian Army until World War II ended. It disbanded in June 1945.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists primarily of histories of the 104th Anti-Tank Battery and the 7th Anti-Tank Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery and supporting materials. Included are a printed history of the 7th Anti-Tank Regiment, a photocopied history of the 104th Battery dating to 1945, and photocopied listings of officers and other ranks, along with the names of fatal casualties, their dates of death, and the names of those wounded in action.
Also included is a b&w group photograph of the 104th Anti-Tank Battery (1940), a colour photograph of the formation flashes and other distinguishing insignia of the Canadian Army [after 1939], colour negatives of the 104th Battery at the Experimental Station (Fredericton), and colour negatives of shoulder flashes of the Canadian Military.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Place access points
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » Fredericton
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » Kingston
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » Ontario » Renfrew County » Petawawa
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » St. Stephen
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » Nova Scotia » Halifax
- Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Gourock
- Europe » United Kingdom » England
- Africa » North Africa » Algeria » Algiers
- Europe » Italy » Sicily